4 replies to this topic

#1 Donna F

Donna F

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:29 AM

This is probably a dumb question, but what the heck, I'm honest ;)

Is maple sugar candy safe to eat? Isn't it just made of pure maple sugar? My mom got me some in Vermont and it says it is fresh made and not cystallized (I assume that meant to say crystallized?).

I hope it's good - I can't wait to eat it!

-donna

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 02:06 PM

two things........it depends on the facilities...it could be contaminated from other products, though I guess the chances of that are relatively slim. Second, you can never assume with these things......who knows if they add wheat or something. Is there a label you can consult or a number to call? Better to be safe than sorry.

#3 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:15 PM

:D do call about the candy, but i just needed to add that maple syrup candy is my all time favorite candy--my uncle used to make it himself from the maple syrup that he spent hours making too--i remember the pails hanging from the trees and the sap dripping into them and then him boiling it down---maple syrup candy is probably my favorite candy that we had at christmas as a child--mmmmmmmm--deb :lol:
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#4 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:02 AM

thank you. there was nothing but an address on it. says it's 100% pure, so i tried some and was okay. Probably wasn't a smart thing to do without checking first, but I couldn't help myself :P

-d

#5 Boojca

Boojca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:15 AM

Donna,

I live in VT and if you tell me the company I can probably tell you. Do you have to avoid lactose too? If so, just be ware that some places process their syrup with cream or butter. Not a lot, but some people claim they have been effected by it....

Bridget

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: