26 replies to this topic

#1 jaten

jaten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

Ok, I'm just having a huge melt down pity party. Those of you who have read my posts before know I don't get down. I've always been glad for a diagnosis that was easy to manage (relative to some of the big diseases).

Tonight, I'm diving head-first into my 2nd major pity party since my Celiac diagnosis in Dec., 95.

I didn't suddenly get stupid. Of course I'm still grateful that the diagnosis was Celiac not the other big C that all my drs thought when I lost 40 lbs in 8 wks.

But tonight...it's a rainy, Friday night, and I would love to be able to order out and just enjoy the evening with my husband, watching a good movie. I'd like to stick the plates and glasses in the dishwasher and forget it. I don't want to cook. I don't want my very dh to cook. Tonight I MISS terribly the option of carry out/delivery dinners.

Don't tell me all the ways I can safely eat in restaurants. It's not so. I am apparently hypersensitive to miniscule traces because when I do eat out with great care on rare occasions, I still get sick about 25% of the time. I wouldn't eat even a bite of pizza hut pizza if they delivered it right now on a silver platter, but I surely do long for the time when I could have whatever.

I'll get better. No doubt. I wasn't even upset when I was diagnosed....just happy danced that I was going to be ok.

Right now, however, I am really, really blue over the total lack of convenience. I'm more than blue...I'm very sad right now.

I knew you all would understand.

Later Correction:
Diagnosis was in December, 2005 NOT 12/95 as stated above. Something EE said in her post on pg 2 of this thread made me recognize my error.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:36 PM

Can you store pre-cooked stuff in your freezer for these occasions? Then it's kinda take-out, if only from your own freezer?

I'm sorry. Sometimes, it does suck. There's no getting around the fact that we've grown used to the fact that other people get these conveniences, so why the heck shouldn't we!? Sometimes I wonder if it'd be easier if it were 150 years ago when there wasn't a telephone and takeout you could order and have at your door right away and you knew you'd always have to do all your own cooking anyway. At least we wouldn't have ever been taught anything differently, you know...
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 SunnyDyRain

SunnyDyRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:22 PM

I understand where coming from so well. I often knowingly take risks with take out just out of lazyness and disorganization. On top of it all, i really can't cook. on top of that I have a tiny kitchen and almost no counterspace to prepare food. 50% of the time i don't remember to make lunches the night before, then 50% of the time, i forget it out the door in the morning.

I spend most of my lunch time returning to my aprtment to get the lunch, or going to the super market eating off their salad bar hoping that no one has CC anything.

Tonight my dinner was a Vanilla Frosty... I'm sick now.. casiens.

Last friday it was a wendy's baked potaotes, plain no butter no sour cream.

I still got sick.... so this week I figured if i'm going to get sick... i'm gonna be sick with a frosty not a bland baked potatoe.

Bah.. yeah Take out would be good.

Dx 3/23/07
Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:
Gluten
MSG

Allergies:
Ragweed
Honeydew
Cantalope
Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

#4 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:45 PM

I so agree! The diet is fine. It is the inconvience that kills me. The constant planning and reading labels. Sometimes I just get sad. I am jealous of those that don't have to think before they eat. Feel the sadness, recognize it and then let it go. Tomorrow is another day.

Hez

#5 iluvbread

iluvbread

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

I can commiserate, but this is all new to me.

I did I for my son who is BFing, not myself.... but I'm GI too. I feel cheated in how it went down, but that is certainly my fault, not someone else's.
My family has been about nutrition, but convenience certainly ranks pretty high right behind it. :(
Gluten free: May 26, 2007
Looking into Enterolab testing currently, do not want to diagnose through a Dr

Mom of 2
Son with wheat intolerance via breast milk
Daughter seems fine? (but... likely not)

#6 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:44 PM

Just throwing out an idea... Can you premake some gluten free pizzas and freeze them? Then, when you want takeout, just throw it in the oven and forget about it until it beeps. That's about as close as we've gotten to take out. I used to keep the Amy's pizzas on hand, but now I just have my own ready to go. Much tastier and quick quick quick.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,667 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 02:16 AM

Boy do I know how you feel. I have only been out to eat 3 times in 5 years and have gotten so sick from CC that it just wasn't worth it.

One thing that helps is I try to keep a couple bags of premixed Gluten Free Pantry French bread and pizza mix in the freezer. It spreads easier when cold anyway and I just take it out and let it thaw then spread it with whatever toppings are handy. I will also use it to make flat bread for days when I just feel like hummus or a dip and veggies. Even the few gluten eaters I have around like it.
I know that is not much help.

Hopefully as more of us are diagnosed our ability to eat out safely will increase. I was able to cook safely for a celiac in my restaurant long before I even knew what it was, although it was making me very ill at the time. I know it can be done but most restaurants do not have anyone with enough brain power to get the simple things like a clean work space right. Not surprising in a way, when I was head chef I made less money than any of the waitresses while standing in a 110 degree kitchen listening to them scream at me. And my 'helpers' made even less.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 jaten

jaten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:00 AM

Thank you all for the tips and the support. I can't believe I'm still in a funk this a.m. Seriously, I have read about how so many experience anger/resentment issues after diagnosis. I honestly didn't.

I am struggling more now for the past 12-18 hrs than in the entire past 1 1/2 years.

Tarnalberry, I think you're right. It would have been easier in an earlier century. You don't miss what you've never had. Having the convenience taken away. Knowing that others still enjoy a convenience that is no longer an option.

Hez, you're right, I've got to just live this feeling and then move on.

I will. It is what it is. My feelings will catch up with my head again. Just not there right now.

A HUGE thank you to all who posted, (and even those who didn't post but feel the pain).

#9 sparkles

sparkles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:13 AM

There is something to freezing food for "fast food". I work full time but I try to cook all or part of a day maybe 2 times a month. I make spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, roasts, soups, taco meat, meatballs, etc. Then I freeze them. I also double most recipes so I have leftovers for lunch and I put the rest in the freezer. I have found it is just as easy to cook a really large meal and freeze the leftovers as it is to just cook for one meal. Lots of foods taste better when they are cooked in large batches like chili! I freeze everything from the broth from meats, chicken to those bits of leftovers that don't make a meal but might if added with something. Those nights when I don't want to cook I just pull some fast food out of the freezer. It is really easy. I am not a real organized person so if this works for me, it will probably work for those of you who are not challenged in the organizational skills. I also just discovered that WalMart brand (Great Value) has a scalloped potato and an au-gratin potato mix that are gluten-free (they label their food). they are fast and inexpensive and tasty and let's face it who feels like cooking from scratch every night!!!! AND every once in a while, we need to say POOR ME.... so don't be hard on yourself!
[font=Comic Sans Ms]

#10 confused

confused

Just cause i cant have gluten doesnt mean im dying

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:24 AM

I so agree. I dont mind eating healthier now. But right now my life is so busy at night with tball for 2 kids, coach pitch for one kid, and i coach, and my other son will start baseball this week. We are busy from 3-8 most nights and it is so hard. I just want to drive threw a drive threw and get stuff to eat or order mexican or chinese in, but i cant do that anymore. I cant afford to be sick for one day. There are nights we are eating dinner at 8-9 pm, cause i come home to cook or hubby bbq's the family safe foods. I know i really need to start cooking before we are gone for the night, but i never remember. It is also so hard to cook stuff that is gfcfsf, without making it all from scratch. Maybe i just need to start using the crockpot again lol.

I just wanted to say that i so know what you are going threw, i think it makes me more depressed then giving up cheese, and that was very hard on me.

I love everyones tips about freezing food, but it is hard when every meal is for 7 people.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free
on low carb/low sugar diet

#11 Shiba

Shiba

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:38 AM

Being gluten-free sure makes it hard to have take away - it's something I curse regularly, and my celiac 18 yr old daughter even more so.
If freezing big meals for 7 is a problem, try doing some base sauces that you can thaw and throw stuff into. I do that with things like Butter Chicken. I also make huge dishes of gluten-free lasgana, then cut them into portions before freezing them. That makes heaps of meals. Do you have microwave rice? that's a wonderful standby, likewise gluten-free pasta with a jar of sauce.
For yummy snacks I bulk cook gluten-free muffins, and freeze them in little ziplock bags.

We're going bush next week, and the catering is giving me nightmares! Waht to do for a quick lunch in the rain, when it's also cold, and there's no time to heat it up? Eveyone else will use fresh bread rolls - I just don't know what my hubby and I will eat, as salad will not do the trick, and who likes cold rice?

One good thing tho - a couple of weeks ago I decided to read the ingredients for oven fries - wooo hooo!!!! there were three varieties that had no gluten!!! another easy (if not too healthy) meal - fried eggs and chips. That's what celiac does to you- gives you a high when you find a previously untouchable food in the supermarket: :rolleyes:

#12 confused

confused

Just cause i cant have gluten doesnt mean im dying

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:50 AM

Being gluten-free sure makes it hard to have take away - it's something I curse regularly, and my celiac 18 yr old daughter even more so.
If freezing big meals for 7 is a problem, try doing some base sauces that you can thaw and throw stuff into. I do that with things like Butter Chicken. I also make huge dishes of gluten-free lasgana, then cut them into portions before freezing them. That makes heaps of meals. Do you have microwave rice? that's a wonderful standby, likewise gluten-free pasta with a jar of sauce.
For yummy snacks I bulk cook gluten-free muffins, and freeze them in little ziplock bags.

We're going bush next week, and the catering is giving me nightmares! Waht to do for a quick lunch in the rain, when it's also cold, and there's no time to heat it up? Eveyone else will use fresh bread rolls - I just don't know what my hubby and I will eat, as salad will not do the trick, and who likes cold rice?

One good thing tho - a couple of weeks ago I decided to read the ingredients for oven fries - wooo hooo!!!! there were three varieties that had no gluten!!! another easy (if not too healthy) meal - fried eggs and chips. That's what celiac does to you- gives you a high when you find a previously untouchable food in the supermarket: :rolleyes:

what i would do for lasagna, but i havent figured an way to make it without cheese and have it stilll taste good lol. We do have lots of spaghetti and tacos and hot dogs, but the kids are even getting tired of it lol. We do use lots of ore ida fries, at least 2 times a week.

you can make sandwhiches wrapped in lettuce instead of bread, or even stick lunch meat on a rice cake. Can u keep rice in a thermos, or does it get all sticky that way. I am not a big rice eater, but i am learning i have to eat it from time to time lol.

Oh i know i love when i find things i can eat. I was so happy when i found we had the gluten free chicken nuggets from ians in our supermarket. But the box is so small lol, Now to find rice dreams ice cream in this town and ill be happy.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free
on low carb/low sugar diet

#13 Karen B.

Karen B.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:35 AM

---snip---

---snip---

Chebe rolls don't have to be heated to taste good and they are durable enough to handle some bouncing around. I make my travel rolls with parmesan cheese (instead of just four ounces, I dump the whole 6 oz. package in) and use baking powder. Store them for at least 12 hours sitting out in a basket or colander wrapped in a cotton towel so they can breathe and they should be good to go.

I have to plan for convenience now because it just doesn't happen otherwise. I keep Amy's rice crust cheese pizza in the fridge and when I want pizza, I load extra cheese, pepperoni, etc on top and bake. When I've had time for baking, I've also had good success with making mini-pizza crusts using Chebe dough and my tortilla press. One batch of dough makes 4 mini crusts about the size of a corn tortilla. Since I make the Chebe crust with parmesan, it comes out crunchy/chewy and the extra cheese doesn't hurt the pizza taste. :-)
Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

#14 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:51 AM

I'm there with you jaten. This is how I've felt lately. I've been gluten-free about a year. Everything you said in your first post fits me too. I was crying last weekend. It is rare for me to do this but after I cried I sucked it up pulled out a few recipies I haven't tried yet but was meaning to and went shopping and didn't think about cost or waste and just bought what I needed to make them and made them. I'm bad about overanalyzing and talking myself out of things. I also set aside one day this week and made and froze hamburger patties, pizza crusts and cookies and washed, dried and cut romaine lettuce for salads this weekend. (I've found it stays crisp a long time and is cheaper than the bags.) If I prep one item a day I feel like I never make it out of the kitchen. Doing alot in one day felt better. I felt better after doing this and knowing that we were set for the weekend. I'm going to try and do this again because it helped. Weekends are hard for me still. I ordered a pizza for DH and DS last night and I had my gluten-free pizza. Tonight is hamburgers and tomorrow is honey mustard bbq chicken and fries and salads everyday varying the style of fries and dressings and extras for the salads. Really minimal effort meals as we just closed on a house yesterday.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#15 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:15 AM

what i would do for lasagna, but i havent figured an way to make it without cheese and have it stilll taste good lol. We do have lots of spaghetti and tacos and hot dogs, but the kids are even getting tired of it lol. We do use lots of ore ida fries, at least 2 times a week.

to replace the cheese, I use mashed avocado. it works great in a vegetable lasagna. (the recipe is on my 'as promised, a few recipes' post.) I've served it to lots of non-gluten-free people, and while it's not what you originally expect out of lasagna, they all like it. :)

what about chili or soup or stew or stir fry? all easy, one pot dishes.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: