This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Am So Lost/confused

Lissa

Lissa Apprentice

I went gluten free on Tuesday.

I made the decision early Tuesday morning (around 3AM) when I was curled in the fetal position on my bathroom floor from eating pizza for dinner on Monday.

I never looked back, resisted all temptation for any gluteny food, stuck to the diet. I think I was doing better, (I hadn't had any D after tuesday), but I can't be sure. I'm at the point where I've been sick for so long that I can't tell anymore. Anyways, I was good until Saturday, when there was desserts. I gave in and I ate some. It was a girls night, and I don't know, I really wanted to test myself. See if I was really Celiac. So I had a nice helping of some cake and baclava. I didn't react! Is 4 days too soon to feel better? I'm so confused. I was almost positive I was having reactions to gluten...until I didn't. Am I a raging hypochrondiac? Or is it possible that I wasn't better at all, therefore, when I ate the gluten, it didn't make a difference?

really hoping you can give me some answers,

Lissa

PS - thank you for answering all my questions! I don't know where I would be without all you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Some people do slip and no have a visible reaction, like D or stomach pains. Had you been told you had celiac prior to deciding to go gluten free on Tuesday? If you had blood tests or something, I would say do not touch gluten foods again, you are doing damage even if you do not know it by not having a reaction. If you are just trying the diet to see if will help you feel better, I would give it a little longer than 4 days to see how you are doing. Hope that helps.

confused Community Regular

Maybe you are not reacting to gluten but to casein. Are you an diagnosed celiac?

paula

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I've spent much of my life in the fetal position, or crawling across the floor to the bathroom, so full of air and inflammation that i couldn't bear to stand - and then go sit uselessly on the toilet (was constipation, not D). At work I spent hours in the bathroom hoping no one would notice as I cried, hoping to get some relief. Ouch. What was the trigger 9/10 of the time? PIZZA. SPAGHETTI. These were the two biggest ones. As a child I ended up throwing up as much pizza as I kept down.

At first I thought it was cooked tomato sauce. that does bug me. then maybe garlic, which also bugs me. I only found out a bit over a year ago that I have Celiac Disease. It all made sense. Now I can eat small doses of tomato or garlic, but not too much (maybe even just from memory). I also can't do dairy; even the smallest amount gives me Constipation quite badly.

BUT...I didn't react every time I had pizza. In fact, I didn't make the connection for years and years.

If you have insurance, you might want to get the blood test for Celiac -- then you'll know you need to stick to gluten-free for your life, like someone else said, even if you have no symptoms ever again. If you don't have insurance - try going gluten free again, and see how you feel. OR, go casein free for a week but eat gluten - to see if it might be that. Some of the same symptoms occur.

I've blathered. My point: you might not react every time to gluten - sometimes it might be cumulative (like it is for me with chocolate -- good for a while, then bam). Take care.

rinne Apprentice

Hi Lissa and welcome. :)

For years I thought I was getting away with exactly what you are describing. I would cut out wheat for a while and feel better and then challenge myself with bread or pastry and do okay the first time and maybe even the second time but then I would be right back into all my symptoms of C and bloating.

I say I thought I was getting away with it because over a year ago my entire gastric tract went up in flames and I was unable to eat at all. I lost 40 pounds too quickly and was in great pain.

I have since given up, in addition to the gluten and it has been over a year now, dairy, nightshades, all grains, coffee..... the list goes on.

I have a sister and brother diagnosed with Celiac and another sister and brother who have gone gluten free because of problems. I suspect I have Celiac although I have not had a test that confirms it.

I also have Lyme, mercury and candida problems which contribute to my limited diet.

A diet can be a diagnostic tool, trust your body. :)

little d Enthusiast
I've spent much of my life in the fetal position, or crawling across the floor to the bathroom, so full of air and inflammation that i couldn't bear to stand - and then go sit uselessly on the toilet (was constipation, not D). At work I spent hours in the bathroom hoping no one would notice as I cried, hoping to get some relief. Ouch. What was the trigger 9/10 of the time? PIZZA. SPAGHETTI. These were the two biggest ones. As a child I ended up throwing up as much pizza as I kept down.

At first I thought it was cooked tomato sauce. that does bug me. then maybe garlic, which also bugs me. I only found out a bit over a year ago that I have Celiac Disease. It all made sense. Now I can eat small doses of tomato or garlic, but not too much (maybe even just from memory). I also can't do dairy; even the smallest amount gives me Constipation quite badly.

BUT...I didn't react every time I had pizza. In fact, I didn't make the connection for years and years.

If you have insurance, you might want to get the blood test for Celiac -- then you'll know you need to stick to gluten-free for your life, like someone else said, even if you have no symptoms ever again. If you don't have insurance - try going gluten free again, and see how you feel. OR, go casein free for a week but eat gluten - to see if it might be that. Some of the same symptoms occur.

I've blathered. My point: you might not react every time to gluten - sometimes it might be cumulative (like it is for me with chocolate -- good for a while, then bam). Take care.

I too react just like this but for me we were having a lot of spegetti for dinner, which had onions I cut those out for over a year an I would have such horrible gas pain I felt like I was having a baby, which I was not pregnate. then I don't know the next time we had spegetti no reaction at all and I made it the same way. down to the bread, but the only thing that I reacted to always consistantly was Life Cinnimon ceral my fav of all time not the reaction.

donna

Lissa Apprentice

Thanks for the replies everyone!

A couple of questions/answers:

1) I had the test and it came back negative.

2) What's casein?!

3) I always react to pizza as well!

Thanks for the help and everything, I'm sorry the post is so short, but I'm expected somewhere right away. THANKS!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived