4 replies to this topic

#1 annie76

annie76

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:50 PM

Well, we went to lunch today at outback, they usually do a really good job, and I've never gotten sick. Today they were really busy, and the server majorly dropped the ball. She brought my salad out with croutons all over it, then some other guy brought our food out and mine was all messed up. She didn't write gluten free on the ticket just no bun, so it had no bun but it had fries all over the top of it. I'm not one to cause a fuss, but I think it really stinks that just because the place is a little busy the service stinks, and forget the gluten free people, no time for them. I've worked in many places as a server, I think being busy is a crappy excuse for doing a crappy job. So, I ate it when it came, my husband ended up ticked off and lectured the manager about the severity of eating gluten for a celiac. I was kind of shocked because he's usually so non-confrontational... :huh: I'd love to stomp my feet and say I'm never going back, but thats b.s. it's one of two places to eat in this town! ARG!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 natalie

natalie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:14 AM

That sucks. Did you get to eat eventually?
Endoscopy May 23,2007 - positive

Entrolab Dec 2006:
Fecal Antigliadin IgA 209 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 35 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 371 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 42 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,8)

Daughter Allison - positive blood and biopsy December 2005
Son Benjamin - negative blood, has DQ2 gene
Husband Shane - negative blood

#3 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:10 AM

Annie,
Sorry to hear Outback was not that great for you. It's nice to see your husband stand up though. Especially for you saying he is very nonconfrontational. I hope I spelled that right. :) He seems very educated about celiac. Another plus.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#4 pnltbox27

pnltbox27

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:15 PM

that is cool to hear that your husband said something. im the celiac in the family and i have to admit i usaually just order no bun i dont specify gluten free, but my wife also usually has no problem letting the server or manager know about gluten-free. i just hate making a big deal out of going to dinner.man am i lucky to have her
diagnosed 02-07 having a real hard time commiting to the diet

#5 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:16 PM

Sorry to hear that!!!

We went to Outback in Charlotte a week or so ago and ordered 3 gluten-free meals. Mine came out with the butter on the sweet potato (not gluten-free, which our server caught before I did) and my son's game out with fries on his plate. I was able to take the potato off and eat my food while they remade my potato, but my son had to wait for them to remake his whole meal. It was a Friday night and they were super busy, so we were patient, it is just frustrating. They did take his meal off the check and left if for the others in our party to eat. So, overall things were good, just a little rough getting started. I can't cross them off of our list b/c I like their food way too much and they really do have an extensive menu as far as what those of us who have to be gluten-free can eat.
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times