40 replies to this topic

#1 ptkds

ptkds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:09 AM

My mom went to IHOP yesterday w/ her dh and my brother. She said they had "corn cake pancakes" and they were gluten free! She said they tasted pretty good, too. So I called IHOP to see if this were true, and of course they wouldn't confirm. They told me to talk to the manager at the IHOP I go to. So, if you have an IHOP near you, call em up! They may have gluten-free pancakes there!!

ptkds

PS, the IHOP she went to was somewhere in the Beumont/houston area.

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:46 AM

My mom went to IHOP yesterday w/ her dh and my brother. She said they had "corn cake pancakes" and they were gluten free! She said they tasted pretty good, too. So I called IHOP to see if this were true, and of course they wouldn't confirm. They told me to talk to the manager at the IHOP I go to. So, if you have an IHOP near you, call em up! They may have gluten-free pancakes there!!

ptkds

PS, the IHOP she went to was somewhere in the Beumont/houston area.

I would be VERY careful with how trusting you are of IHOP...Even if they do have gluten free corn cake pancakes, will they clean the grill after each time?? The risk for CC in a place like that shoots through the roof...plus...IHOP has been known to put pancake batter in their omletes to make them fluffier...it would be wonderful if more mainstream places were going to start offering these options but be careful! did your mom get sick? now that its a few days later?

#3 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:46 AM

Wow!!! Sounds nice, I would love to have pancakes when I go out. Even though I don't have an IHOP around me, there are several near the shore where we vacation in NJ.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#4 ptkds

ptkds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:08 AM

did your mom get sick? now that its a few days later?

My mom was very specific about asking the waitress to make sure they cook the pancakes in a clean pan, and she asked that they not use any pancake batter in the omelotte. She didn't get sick at all. I just talked to her, and she is fine. I have been to Dennys a few times without a problem. I get the meat lover's omelotte, and it is yummy. Just don't get the hot dogs for kids, cuz they come prepackaged with the bread I think. My dd's got glutened when ordered them hot dogs w/out the bread.

ptkds

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

#5 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

...The risk for CC in a place like that shoots through the roof...plus...IHOP has been known to put pancake batter in their omletes to make them fluffier...

That is true but that makes it sound like they do that in some underhanded way. It is right on the menu that their omlettes have pancake batter.

#6 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:33 PM

It has been a few years since I've eaten at an IHOP and when I did, it definetely wasn't on the menu that pancake batter was in their omletes...if it was, I certainly didn't see it.....on the menu or not, it's still weird that they do that... :blink:

#7 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

IHOP does use pancake batter in their omlettes to "make them fluffier".

I just ate there the other day and it says it right on the menu (under the omlette section).

I emailed IHOP corporate about the corn cake batter - I have my doubts - not to discount anyone, but I have little faith that any chain restaurant has advanced to being able to offer gluten-free pancakes...

I sure hope I'm wrong though...

:)

#8 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:03 AM

I just looked on their website and it does list the corn cakes as a new item on the menu. I think I'd rather just have my pancakes at home with Authentic Foods mix though. I'm not sure I'd feel safe eating at IHOP.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#9 natalie

natalie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:15 AM

I'm glad to see some restaurants are at least trying to create gluten-free dishes :) . I would still worry about cc though.
Endoscopy May 23,2007 - positive

Entrolab Dec 2006:
Fecal Antigliadin IgA 209 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 35 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 371 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 42 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,8)

Daughter Allison - positive blood and biopsy December 2005
Son Benjamin - negative blood, has DQ2 gene
Husband Shane - negative blood

#10 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:26 AM

IHOP's Response :angry:

"Dear Mr. Broncobux:

I do understand your concern regarding the importance of obtaining accurate information on our products, for dietary purposes or restrictions. Unfortunately, IHOP is unable to provide detailed information on our menu items.

IHOP values the health of our guests and recognizes the need to provide information to our guests. However, food preparation practices, menu offerings and product suppliers vary from region to region. With that natural variance in food across the country, it is nearly impossible to calculate and publish accurate nutritional information or ingredient content on all of our menu items.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. We hope to serve you again soon.

Sincerely,

Don Miller
Guest Services Representative
IHOP Restaurant Support Center"

-- I asked if the corn cake pancakes contained gluten... what a worthless response.

#11 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:41 AM

My response:

Mr. Miller,

While I appreciate your quick response, I consider the content to be of little or no value.

Apparently, IHOP is not in the business of being honest and upfront about their products. As a loyal customer with food allergies, I would have hoped for a simple yes or no answer to my earlier query. I think its pathetic that IHOP believes that "it is nearly impossible to calculate and publish accurate nutritional information or ingredient content on all of our menu items. Perhaps you are unaware of other restaurants that are able (shockingly) to produce gluten free menus at their restaurants regardless of region or food preparation practices. When you have a chance, take a look at Outback Steakhouse, Carrabbas, PF Chang's, Pei Wei, Flemings Steakhouse, McDonalds, Wendy's, First Watch, Chipotle, Jack in the Box's (and many more) websites as they all are able to produce either gluten free menus or are able to be honest with their customers about ingredients in their products.

This is a disappointing day for me. I have been a loyal customer of IHOP for many years (even if I only came in to eat eggs and sausage). Yesterday, I asked a simple question. Today, I received a politician's response. I expect better from IHOP.

FYI, I have copied and pasted your response to www.glutenfreeforum.com (a national website for celiac disease and those who abide by a gluten free diet), my local yahoo food allergen list serv in Las Vegas and all MySpace groups related to celiac disease and gluten intolerance.

I sincerely hope IHOP decides to join the afore-mentioned chain restaurants in 2007 and voluntarily disclose the ingredients in their products. Until then, I will encourage all of my friends to take their business elsewhere.

Sincerely,

Broncobux

#12 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:02 AM

My response:

Mr. Miller,

While I appreciate your quick response, I consider the content to be of little or no value.

Apparently, IHOP is not in the business of being honest and upfront about their products. As a loyal customer with food allergies, I would have hoped for a simple yes or no answer to my earlier query. I think its pathetic that IHOP believes that "it is nearly impossible to calculate and publish accurate nutritional information or ingredient content on all of our menu items. Perhaps you are unaware of other restaurants that are able (shockingly) to produce gluten free menus at their restaurants regardless of region or food preparation practices. When you have a chance, take a look at Outback Steakhouse, Carrabbas, PF Chang's, Pei Wei, Flemings Steakhouse, McDonalds, Wendy's, First Watch, Chipotle, Jack in the Box's (and many more) websites as they all are able to produce either gluten free menus or are able to be honest with their customers about ingredients in their products.

This is a disappointing day for me. I have been a loyal customer of IHOP for many years (even if I only came in to eat eggs and sausage). Yesterday, I asked a simple question. Today, I received a politician's response. I expect better from IHOP.

FYI, I have copied and pasted your response to www.glutenfreeforum.com (a national website for celiac disease and those who abide by a gluten free diet), my local yahoo food allergen list serv in Las Vegas and all MySpace groups related to celiac disease and gluten intolerance.

I sincerely hope IHOP decides to join the afore-mentioned chain restaurants in 2007 and voluntarily disclose the ingredients in their products. Until then, I will encourage all of my friends to take their business elsewhere.

Sincerely,

Broncobux

Nice Job!!!!! I mean fine, that you don't have a gluten free menu (although you would think in a place that makes scrambled eggs how hard could it be); but to not even disclose your ingredients. That just seems ridiculous. Like you said, you asked a simple question. "Do the corn cakes contain gluten." Sounds like a yes or no question to me.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#13 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:16 AM

WOW...Way to go Chris!!!
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#14 GRUMP 1

GRUMP 1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:37 AM

My mom was very specific about asking the waitress to make sure they cook the pancakes in a clean pan, and she asked that they not use any pancake batter in the omelotte. She didn't get sick at all. I just talked to her, and she is fine. I have been to Dennys a few times without a problem. I get the meat lover's omelotte, and it is yummy. Just don't get the hot dogs for kids, cuz they come prepackaged with the bread I think. My dd's got glutened when ordered them hot dogs w/out the bread.

ptkds

Denny's has a gluten free menu. Or at least they will bring out a list of stuff and go over it with you so you know just what is in every thing. Or at lest the one up north in Bellingham, Wa. did when we were up there. Have not tried it down here yet. That might be some thing you might want to check out also.

Grump
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!

#15 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:39 AM

Thank You Chris!
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: