16 replies to this topic

#1 nailehead

nailehead

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 12:10 PM

I USED to eat alot of Taco Bell and Mexican food before i was diagnosed, and now i am wondering what i CAN still eat.

Is it safe to eat the items that have/use Corn Tortillas, or is there alot of "cross contamination" going on?

Wondering? Cause i'm jonzin for a six-pack of Crunchy Beef Tacos! :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:02 PM

No they are NOT safe. The only safe thing to eat from Taco Bell are their "Pinto and Chesse". Sorry :(

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 07:25 AM

Not only are the corn tortillas/taco shells not gluten-free because they've been dipped in oil where flour things have been cooked, but the beef in the tacos also is not safe. There's wheat in the spices, according to TB.

If you want to keep eating Mexican go to a REAL Mexican restaurant and talk to the people who run it about your restrictions. Avoid TB like the plague.

richard

#4 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 07:36 AM

What corn tortillas? At my local Taco Bell, the tortillas are all made of flour.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:13 AM

I think the reference was actiually to the hard taco shells. They would appear to me to be corn.

richard

#6 nailehead

nailehead

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 07:49 PM

Thanks....DAMNIT! :angry: :(

#7 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:31 PM

Try Chipolte! They have burrito bols which is a burrito without the tortilla. You can always buy their chips to have with it. If you get the bol with rice instead of lettuce, everything is dished out with a spoon so no contamination. If you get the lettuce, they use their hands which have also touched the flour tortilla and you can get contaminated. Also Don Pablos has a gluten free menu if you go to their website. Chipolte says their food is free of gluten except for the tortillas, of course and their hot salsa.
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#8 glen4cindy

glen4cindy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:23 PM

I would have to 2nd the fact that TB is not a safe place, the Taco seasoning that you buy in the store has wheat flour.

However, the Taco Bell Fajita seasoning (in the grocery store now) appears to be safe.

TB is one thing I really miss. :angry:

#9 Cherbear

Cherbear

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 05:26 PM

I called Taco Bell and also emailed. I have not heard back on the email, but the woman I talked to said the corn hard shell tacos have oat flour in them. She did say the pintos and cheese, the bean tostadas, the nacho cheese sauce, the fresh ingredients like the lettuce, tomato etc are gluten-free. I can't remember the other items she named. She said the chips used for nachos are sometimes deep fried so you have to check with each individual store to see if they fry their chips. You can call taco bell at 1-800-TacoBell.

#10 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 06:27 AM

Folks, go to a REAL Mexican restaurant. The food's a lot better and you have a lot more choice.

richard

#11 TeachK71

TeachK71

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:26 AM

Hi!
I had heard the Pintos and Cheese and Tostadas are safe and have had both without any problem.
Kim

#12 maxwell1200

maxwell1200

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 07:41 PM

If I ordered the Nachos supreme and did not get sick afterward does that mean that it was gluten-free? That is what I had for lunch today and it didn't go right through me like other foods that obviously had gluten, like the bean buritto.

Just wondering?

#13 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:28 AM

Angie,

It does NOT mean it's gluten-free. Even Taco Bell says it's not gluten-free. Did you not believe them?

richard

#14 I'm more celiac than you

I'm more celiac than you

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:01 AM

I have heard that the side orders of rice are gluten-free. Does anyone know about the new border bowls they have? They give you a packet of sauce to put on yourself and I know that contains gluten, but how about the main ingredients?

#15 Sterndogg

Sterndogg

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:43 AM

Chipolte rocks!! I wish they had them up here in Boston, but while down in DC two weekends ago chilling with friends I ate there three times...I love their Burrito Bols!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: