This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Taco Bell? Are The Corn Tortillas Safe?

nailehead

nailehead Rookie

I USED to eat alot of Taco Bell and Mexican food before i was diagnosed, and now i am wondering what i CAN still eat.

Is it safe to eat the items that have/use Corn Tortillas, or is there alot of "cross contamination" going on?

Wondering? Cause i'm jonzin for a six-pack of Crunchy Beef Tacos! :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

No they are NOT safe. The only safe thing to eat from Taco Bell are their "Pinto and Chesse". Sorry :(

lovegrov Collaborator

Not only are the corn tortillas/taco shells not gluten-free because they've been dipped in oil where flour things have been cooked, but the beef in the tacos also is not safe. There's wheat in the spices, according to TB.

If you want to keep eating Mexican go to a REAL Mexican restaurant and talk to the people who run it about your restrictions. Avoid TB like the plague.

richard

plantime Contributor

What corn tortillas? At my local Taco Bell, the tortillas are all made of flour.

lovegrov Collaborator

I think the reference was actiually to the hard taco shells. They would appear to me to be corn.

richard

nailehead Rookie

Thanks....DAMNIT! :angry::(

terri Contributor

Try Chipolte! They have burrito bols which is a burrito without the tortilla. You can always buy their chips to have with it. If you get the bol with rice instead of lettuce, everything is dished out with a spoon so no contamination. If you get the lettuce, they use their hands which have also touched the flour tortilla and you can get contaminated. Also Don Pablos has a gluten free menu if you go to their website. Chipolte says their food is free of gluten except for the tortillas, of course and their hot salsa.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

glen4cindy Apprentice

I would have to 2nd the fact that TB is not a safe place, the Taco seasoning that you buy in the store has wheat flour.

However, the Taco Bell Fajita seasoning (in the grocery store now) appears to be safe.

TB is one thing I really miss. :angry:

Cherbear Rookie

I called Taco Bell and also emailed. I have not heard back on the email, but the woman I talked to said the corn hard shell tacos have oat flour in them. She did say the pintos and cheese, the bean tostadas, the nacho cheese sauce, the fresh ingredients like the lettuce, tomato etc are gluten-free. I can't remember the other items she named. She said the chips used for nachos are sometimes deep fried so you have to check with each individual store to see if they fry their chips. You can call taco bell at 1-800-TacoBell.

lovegrov Collaborator

Folks, go to a REAL Mexican restaurant. The food's a lot better and you have a lot more choice.

richard

TeachK71 Rookie

Hi!

I had heard the Pintos and Cheese and Tostadas are safe and have had both without any problem.

Kim

• 2 weeks later...
maxwell1200 Apprentice

If I ordered the Nachos supreme and did not get sick afterward does that mean that it was gluten-free? That is what I had for lunch today and it didn't go right through me like other foods that obviously had gluten, like the bean buritto.

Just wondering?

lovegrov Collaborator

Angie,

It does NOT mean it's gluten-free. Even Taco Bell says it's not gluten-free. Did you not believe them?

richard

• 2 weeks later...
I'm more celiac than you Newbie

I have heard that the side orders of rice are gluten-free. Does anyone know about the new border bowls they have? They give you a packet of sauce to put on yourself and I know that contains gluten, but how about the main ingredients?

Sterndogg Apprentice

Chipolte rocks!! I wish they had them up here in Boston, but while down in DC two weekends ago chilling with friends I ate there three times...I love their Burrito Bols!!

Melanie Rookie

How about Taco Johns? I'm assuming it isn't gluten-free, but does anyone know for sure.

Cherbear Rookie

At Taco John's I always get a bean hard shell taco. The meat seasoning has gluten, the potato ole's are fried in the same oil as the breaded chicken therefore contaminating them. The stores where I live also fry their corn chips in that same oil.

Archived