Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Soy Free Stir Fry?

13 posts in this topic

Ok, my boyfriend wants stirfry tonight....

I just realized I am Soy free... how do I make Stir fry without Soy Sauce?

Is it possible?

Ads by Google:

Others may have some options, but I just use coconut oil to fry everything in, and then I use lots of spices--whatever you like. I made a chicken stir-fry last night, actually. With chicken, you can use almost any spice--cumin, poultry seasoning, onion, garlic, even Old Bay--whatever floats your boat. I think some other people on here make soy-free sauces, but I've never tried any.

Good luck, whatever way you decide!

You can experiment with:

sesame oil, rice vinegar, plum vinegar, ginger, chile pepper, garlic, onion...

Somtimes I use Spice Hunter Ginger Stir Fry mix which contains:

garlic, sesame seed, ginger, onion, red bell pepper, celery, green chile pepper, coriander, lemon oil, orange oil, chives, Szechwan pepper, star anise, cloves, cinnamon, fennel, pepper

(sesame oil with a bit of vinegar and sea salt really does the trick though, imo)

Someone here does have a recipe for soy-free soy sauce. I think it involves beef broth.

My son and I are soy-free too.

I recently read a neat thread about using maple syrup for soy sauce, haven't tried it yet but I bet it would be good.

You cook the maple syrup until it carmelizes, so when I try it in stirfy I'll put the maple syrup in the pan first and carmelize it, then add the meat, then the frozen stirfry veggies.

Best wishes!

make sure to use plenty of aromatics, and you're fine. for instance, heat up the oil (canola, for instance), throw in some chili flakes, add onion and crushed garlic and , wait for the garlic to toast a bit, then add the meat (I'm a fan of chicken). as it cooks, add sliced carrots, and once the chicken's cooked, add some sugar snap peas. when it's all done, add a bit more chili flakes and red bell peppers. voila! tasty!

ok, He did some research, and found some Thai Fish Oil at the store, the dinner had to be postponed until tomorrow, we had thunderstorms bad and lost power for 3 hours. So Tomorrow we are going to try Thai fish oil (dosen't sound too appealing if you ask me) and chili powder ginger and onions and garlic. We will be using chicken and a frozen stir fry mix with broccoli coliflower carrots and snap peas!

If anyone has any addtional ideas I'll take them, I'm not sure how i'm going to like "Fish Sauce".

ok, He did some research, and found some Thai Fish Oil at the store, the dinner had to be postponed until tomorrow, we had thunderstorms bad and lost power for 3 hours. So Tomorrow we are going to try Thai fish oil (dosen't sound too appealing if you ask me) and chili powder ginger and onions and garlic. We will be using chicken and a frozen stir fry mix with broccoli coliflower carrots and snap peas!

If anyone has any addtional ideas I'll take them, I'm not sure how i'm going to like "Fish Sauce".

btw, chili powder is likely to get you the chili powder you use to make chili (with beans). this is NOT the same as chili flakes, which is just small flakes of dried hot chilis. *VERY* different taste, and *NOT* interchangeable.

Did you make your stir-fry SunnyDy? Did it work?

I found the recipe for soy-free soy sauce:

2 cups beef broth

2 tsp. cider vinegar

1 tsp. molassas

1/8 tsp. ground ginger

dash of pepper, onion powder and garlic powder

Combine all in saucepan, boil uncovered until reduced to 1/2 cup.

btw, chili powder is likely to get you the chili powder you use to make chili (with beans). this is NOT the same as chili flakes, which is just small flakes of dried hot chilis. *VERY* different taste, and *NOT* interchangeable.

good thing to know!

I will have to get some, we love hot spicy stuff!

Did you make your stir-fry SunnyDy? Did it work?

I found the recipe for soy-free soy sauce:

2 cups beef broth

2 tsp. cider vinegar

1 tsp. molassas

1/8 tsp. ground ginger

dash of pepper, onion powder and garlic powder

Combine all in saucepan, boil uncovered until reduced to 1/2 cup.

Thank you! I will print that out for him!

We did make it, it really didn't turn out as well as we hoped.

We marinaded the chicken in Thai fish sauce, rice vinegar, and chili powder.

Then he fried up an onion and some cloves of garlic in some sesame oil, he added the chicken and more fish sauce. When they were cooked, he added frozen stirfry veggies and cooked them till done (over cooked in my opinion.. lol).

We served it over white rice cooked with 1/2 chicken broth 1/2 water.

It was ok.... It seemed fishy to me, but I don't know if i would have called it fishy if i didn't know that we used fish sauce. It was dry, not alot of sauce to wetten the rice. I ate it again today for lunch and it just didn't have it... so I challenged myself with soy sauce... and I feel ok. Anyway I think it might have needed salt...It made it just taste right... I don't think soy sauce gives a whole lot of flavor, just salt mainly.

Anyway, I will try with the recipie above, see how that works. Before going soy free I was eating soy sauce almost every day, so i may have just really been over doing it not really intolerant to it. Also the idea I was sick last week may also be true. What I do know is the past 4 days of soy free has been worse than the first 4 days gluten free!

Alot of soy sauces at the store don't actually have soy in them. You might try over at whole foods to get the best selection. I was there yesterday and I saw some without soy.

Alot of soy sauces at the store don't actually have soy in them. You might try over at whole foods to get the best selection. I was there yesterday and I saw some without soy.

Unfortunately the closet Whole Foods is 60 miles away in Baltimore. I may try to go to one someday, but until then I will try to avoid using it until I get this figured out.

When I make stir fry, I just use chicken broth, add some plum sauce and a tsp or two of A-1. It turns out pretty nice. I used to add pineapple juice too, before I found out I couldn't have it.