No replies to this topic

#1 bbuster

bbuster

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:17 AM

We are back from vacation and I want to spread the word about our wonderful experience.

Prior to going, I contacted several restaurants at Universal City Walk asking about gluten-free menu options. One was NBA City. We ate there and had a great meal - the chef came and talked to us and my son enjoyed a no-bun philly steak with french fries.

The other place was Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. Chef Dan not only e-mailed me, but called me personally (at work) and said they could arrange special gluten-free items if they knew when we were coming. I e-mailed about a week ahead that we would eat dinner there the following Wednesday. Dan got the e-mail a few days later (on the weekend) and tried to reach me, but could not. They were going to be closed due to a private party that Wednesday! Dan sent an e-mail and tried calling, but I was not there. Fortunately I checked e-mail the night before we left town, and he had left his personal cell phone number. I called him and said we would come on Thursday. This was his night off, but he said no problem, his sous chef Ron would take care of us.

We went for our dinner and between two managers and Ron, we had someone checking on our table at least 6 times to make sure everything was OK. This does not even count our waiter, who did a great job as well. We had a wonderful, relaxing meal and my son revelled in all the special attention.

We went back another night in an attempt to meet and thank Chef Dan personally, but it was Saturday and he could not break free. So my son sent him this e-mail, and I'd like to share it with you.

Subject: Thank you so much

Dear Dan,
Thank you so much for making all the special arrangements, I can't tell you happy I was. You made my day. Your restaurant is great, and it was even better that I could have a bun on my burger and giving me the gluten-free brownie. And putting it in the ice cream, that was so delicious. I couldn't even finish it there! I wish I lived in Florida, but I don't. =( I wish I could see you and thank you personally. You didn't have to do what you did for me, but that was so nice and thoughtful of you, I can't thank you enough. I only know one person my age with Celiac, and I am glad people are becoming more aware of it. Well, good luck at Margaritaville, and thanks again!!!

-Garrett Buster (age 13)
Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: