Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:37 PM

[size=5][/size] JUST WANTED TO LET ALL KNOW

I WENT TO BUY THE NEUTROGENA DAILY T/GEL SHAMPOO AND IT IS

NOT gluten-free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

SOMEBODY AT NEUTROGENA GOOFED.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eat Well To Stay Well
Daughter Dx'd Celiac Jan 2007
Dx'd Aspergers June 2009

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:52 PM

JUST WANTED TO LET ALL KNOW

I WENT TO BUY THE NEUTROGENA DAILY T/GEL SHAMPOO AND IT IS

NOT gluten-free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
SOMEBODY AT NEUTROGENA GOOFED.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the offending ingredient?
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:08 AM

Please post more information on this. It is not very helpful to anyone right now. It will help everyone if the ingredients were posted.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#4 mouth

mouth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:21 PM

What is the offending ingredient?

There is a wheat protien in the daily t/gel formula.

Lynn
Eat Well To Stay Well
Dx'd Aspergers June 2009

#5 mouth

mouth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:23 PM

Please post more information on this. It is not very helpful to anyone right now. It will help everyone if the ingredients were posted.

Amanda,

I had written them regarding the Neutrogena T/Gel dandruff therapy shampoo and conditioner. The answer I had received was to get the Daily T/Gel shampoo.

But when I went to buy the Daily T/Gel formula it has wheat protien in it..

lynn
Eat Well To Stay Well
Dx'd Aspergers June 2009

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:25 PM

Lynn, why don't you write the company and demand a clarification. Perhaps that might change their listing. We all need to be proactive. I will do it.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 rbh

rbh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:05 PM

Note that Neutrogena's so called "gluten free list" is ONLY a wheat free list -- they haven't checked for the presence of barley, rye and oats. I find it astonishing that a company could be so misleading in their allergen list labeling -- if they don't want to disclose all gluten, that is their choice, but it is misleading to title their list "gluten free" when it is only "wheat free". I had some go rounds with the company about this a number of months ago, then gave up. Some products are tested for rye, barley, oats, so if you call their rep on a particular product, they can tell you if it has only been checked for wheat, or whether it has been checked for all gluten containing ingredients. However, I wouldn't rely on their list for anything.

#8 mouth

mouth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:27 PM

Note that Neutrogena's so called "gluten free list" is ONLY a wheat free list -- they haven't checked for the presence of barley, rye and oats. I find it astonishing that a company could be so misleading in their allergen list labeling -- if they don't want to disclose all gluten, that is their choice, but it is misleading to title their list "gluten free" when it is only "wheat free". I had some go rounds with the company about this a number of months ago, then gave up. Some products are tested for rye, barley, oats, so if you call their rep on a particular product, they can tell you if it has only been checked for wheat, or whether it has been checked for all gluten containing ingredients. However, I wouldn't rely on their list for anything.

Hi, thanx for the help. No, it was not a list. It was an actual email and it was incorrect also!!

I am going to have to call them..

Thanx,
lynn
Eat Well To Stay Well
Dx'd Aspergers June 2009

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:58 PM

I've had conversations in the past week with several different customer service people at Neutrogena.

The first lady actually denied the exsitence of a gluten-free list (!). (In the 2 years I've been on this board, I've only seen it posted about a half dozen times <_< ) She said that her supervisor told her that we had to call about individual products, and they would check on them for us. After hearing my question as to whether their defination of gluten-free meant gluten or just wheat, she put me on "hold" and eventually the call was disconnected....

The gentleman I spoke to after this was very nice. He said that there "was" a gluten-free list (but he used a tone that sounded like it was something he was not supposed to tell me about), and that he would email it to me (he never did). He told me that they test for gluten "as in wheat, oats, barley and rye."

A day or two later, I called and asked about 2 products that I wanted to try. One was deemed gluten-free, and one wheat free. I asked this lady about gluten vs. wheat and she said that not all of their products were checked for gluten--some are, but some are just tested for wheat. I asked her if any gluten ingredients, such as oats, would be clearly listed and she said that they would.

Each conversation yielded slightly different information. I would suggest calling them about any product that you are considering and talk to them about the ingredients.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 Gentleheart

Gentleheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:00 PM

I have no experience with Neutrogena. But I was just wondering. Is there some reason to not just move on to other companies? Unless they have something really special over everyone else's products, they honestly sound like they don't need/want our business. They don't sound very professional.

#11 mouth

mouth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:28 PM

I have no experience with Neutrogena. But I was just wondering. Is there some reason to not just move on to other companies? Unless they have something really special over everyone else's products, they honestly sound like they don't need/want our business. They don't sound very professional.

Know what? I think you are right. I will just have to look for something else to use on her. Thats is all. Maybe I will write a "real" letter and let them know about their "poor" customer service in helping people that "really" need their help.
Eat Well To Stay Well
Dx'd Aspergers June 2009

#12 Crystalkd

Crystalkd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

What I don't understand is why the whole thing is so darn hard! The way I look at it EVERYONE should havelists available to consumers concerning major allergy issues. It is not as isolated as people seem to think it is. It's hard enough for me to shop for food since I don't understand all of the hidden gluten yet. I haven't even started going through my make up and other things yet. I find this all VERY time consuming, frustrating, and anger producing. I thought with having Cerebral Palsy I was treeted like a second class citizen but this just makes it worse in some respects!

#13 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:31 PM

What I don't understand is why the whole thing is so darn hard! The way I look at it EVERYONE should havelists available to consumers concerning major allergy issues. It is not as isolated as people seem to think it is. It's hard enough for me to shop for food since I don't understand all of the hidden gluten yet. I haven't even started going through my make up and other things yet. I find this all VERY time consuming, frustrating, and anger producing. I thought with having Cerebral Palsy I was treeted like a second class citizen but this just makes it worse in some respects!

Crystal, I really liked your response. It is true, they should provide lists about everything. :)
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#14 Crystalkd

Crystalkd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:52 AM

Crystal, I really liked your response. It is true, they should provide lists about everything. :)

It's just so hard! I know I'm still new to everything but I mean sheesh! I'm southern. I love food and it's such a darn chore to go to the store now! I dread it!!!! It would be easier if lists were readily available. I get tired of peoples attitude already! It's not like we do this because we WANT to. This stuff really makes us sick. It's just as serious as Dieabetes! I'll get off the soap box now! (Sorry I'm in the anger stage right now!) I'm not angry at my diease or my diet change. I'm very thankful to have an answer. I'm angry at others in general for making it so hard or not caring at all. Even when we can find something we can eat we have to worry about CC all the time. EEERRRRR

#15 mouth

mouth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:33 PM

Dear Crystal,

Sorry to hear about the CP, any way you are right, they should have lists. We are one of the few countries I found out that do not test for this disease at birth. I saw Dr. Green speak at a gluten-free fair in April, and Alot of countries test for it when children are born. And, he was telling us that if you go to some other countries, there are gluten-free menues right there with the regular menus, and in some fast food type restaurants, they have them right up on the wall and you don't even need to ask. Just order.

Is that cool or what?

Good Luck, and BTW if you have any questions, just ask them here and I guarantee 9 out ot 10, you will get an answer. I wish I could send you copies of the lists my daughters doctors gave me of safe and unsafe foods and additives. It helps me so much.

Agan, good luck.
you have my email if you have questions.
YOU SHOULD LOOK FOR A CELIAC GROUP IN YOUR CITY.
ASK IN THESE BOARDS. LOOK FOR THE BOARD THAT MENTIONS CELIAC GROUPS.

LYNN
Eat Well To Stay Well
Dx'd Aspergers June 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: