8 replies to this topic

#1 NewGFMom

NewGFMom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

So, I got the Bette Haggman cookbook. A lot of her recipes specifically call for margarine or crisco. I have not tried any of the recipes that call for that stuff, but I'm hesitant to make them.

I am probably a total hypocrite that I have no problem eating & serving my family butter and sugar. (in moderate amounts) But I've always tried to draw the line at trans fats.

Are they a necessary evil in gluten-free baking? A lot of the favorite recipes I've seen, but been hesitant to try call for these things.

Perhaps it's to deal with the dairy allergies that seem to coexist with celiac disease. But I get the impression that it's about flavor and texture as well.

Any of you bakers out there have any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Margaret

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dionnek

dionnek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:02 PM

I've heard that shortening works better in gluten-free cookies, but like you I can't bring myself to use it. I have always used margarine (like that's much better) <_< in my baking, and still do now that I'm gluten-free, and everything so far has turned out (well, my first 2 tries at chocolate chip cookies didn't look so good, but they tasted fine - now I use the landolakes cc cookie recipe with margarine and it works for me). The only thing I will use crisco for is to season my cast iron skillet :)

#3 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

I refuse to use hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils.

I do use Spectrum Vegetable Shortening.....that's non hydrogenated. Of course, I only use it to grease my bread pans. I did use it to make frosting at one point and to substitute eggs in a cake. Didn't turn out real well in my mind. It left a real heavy feeling in our stomachs.

I've found that I don't make much since we are gluten-free/cf/soy free.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#4 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:50 AM

Criso now makes a "0 trans fat" all vegetable shortening in a green labeled can

Ingredients: soybean oil, sunflower oil, fully hydrogenated palm oil, mono-and diglycerides, TBHQ and citric acid (anti oxidants)

made by The J.M. Smucker Company

Calories 110 per tablespoon
total fat 12g
saturated fat 3 g
trans fat 0g
polyunsaturated fat 6g
monounsaturated fat 3 g

Lable also states 50% less saturated fat than butter

I've been using it and it acts the same as regular Crisco. Perhaps this is an suitable compromise between regular Crisco and Spectrum?
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#5 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:07 AM

I am doing my best to get partially hydrogenated anything out of my house. I also us Spectrum shortening to grease my bread pans and for cookies. Margarine seemed to spread and not work in those for me. My dd is also dairy free so butter is out for us.

I would try the things that you'd like to with the butter and then try Spectrum if it doesn't work.
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#6 bakinghomesteader

bakinghomesteader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:07 AM

I use butter or canola oil in place of margarine or someother oil. We eat all natural, so we don't use hydrogenated oils either. My bread turns out wonderful. I made up my own recipe. After several attempts, I found a combo that works for me.

Bakinghomesteader
homeschooling mom to 12 yr old son
helpmeet to wonderful husband of 13 yrs

dx Myasthenia Gravis 1998

Official Celiac dx 6/2008

Gluten Free since 6/5/07 (with the exception of 6 weeks and any cc)

Positive Enterolab Result 8/23/07

Positive bloodwork 6/2/08 after eating gluten for 6 weeks

#7 Gentleheart

Gentleheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:27 AM

Hydrogenated fats are considered a major player in our generation's unique problem with plugged arteries. Hydrogenation is done for only one reason, to make a liquid fat into a solid one, artificially. And that is only for a perceived convenience in baking and to compete with butter or other naturally saturated fats in the marketplace.

Margarine became popular in America around the last 2 World Wars as a substitute for butter, which was scarce. People raised on butter laughed at it then because it tasted and looked so desperately awful. But modern technology being what it is, managed to fix those problems and many of us ended up being raised on margarine for no good reason at all. It was just marketing and a few clever TV commercials that kept us from the natural fats of our forefathers.

The liquid oil producing industries, bless their hearts, wanting to take over the huge market share held by solid tropical oils like palm and coconut and even butter, put out bogus documentation a few years back on the dangers of saturated vegetable fats. They conveniently left out all the facts about nearly no heart disease among tropical peoples who had consumed huge amounts of those fats for generations. Even though their science was incorrect, they were completely successful in their public relations efforts and we ended up with that fantastic movie theatre popcorn popped in coconut oil, being dumped for popcorn cooked in partially hydrogenated soybean oil. The same thing occurred in most fast food restaurants and processed foods worldwide. Follow the money.

Heart disease went sky high. Now everything is finally swinging back to palm and coconut oil and butter. Science discovered that saturated vegetable fats were NOT the same as saturated animal fats and were actually healthy. OOps.

I prefer to always eat things that are real. I figure that's the best way to ensure that it is food and can even be digested at all. And even more when my digestion is compromised by allergies anyway. It has been reported that conventional margarine is one step chemically from plastic. That's why it will never spoil. That can't be good.

I use extra virgin coconut oil or palm oil in all my baking efforts. Seems to work just fine. I'm allergic to dairy so I can't use butter, or I would use that too.

#8 jmd3

jmd3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:35 AM

I substitute a lot of my oil with applesauce to bake with. I did it before I knew I was celiac. My kids always said the cakes were more moist - we called it our secret ingredient.
Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!
Positive blood test for antibodies for celiac
SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden
March 07 - 2 different doctors have documented my records as confirmed Celiac
Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!
Husband - tested = celiac gene+diabetes gene
3 children-
youngest - doc wont test has w/ Hashimoto Disease
middle- tested = celiac gene+lymphoma gene - dx-celiac
oldest - ignores warnings

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:16 PM

another reason I don't think I've tried more than two of her recipes. the ingredients... :blink:
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: