This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Confused On A Bunch Of Stuff!

JuniperBush

JuniperBush Newbie

There's so much information out there, I'm getting a bit overwhelmed. Can anyone answer some questions for me?

I went gluten free a half a year or so ago and feel tons better. I finally got the enterolabs stool sample and according to them yes, I am reacting to gluten. My numbers were very low though. I sent in my sample after 3 months gluten free which, according to them, is fine.

Other family members went gluten free at the same time I did and we've all had good results. The thing is though, some family members went "reduced" gluten. They are not gluten free but no longer eating it every day. Every one of them has had good results.

Does this just mean that there are degrees of gluten intolerance? Can some people eat some with limited problems and others can't have a crumb without becoming very ill?

There is no denying the health results we've all had, those of us who went gluten free and those of us who just reduced it.

Is there anything out there on this? The differences between celiacs vs. gluten intolerance vs. gluten sensitivity?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

If it's celiac, it's celiac.

I think there are many people who would feel better gluten-free but don't necessarily have gluten intolerance. I also believe that there are different types of gluten intolerance. My hubby feels better after a gluten-free meal than after a gluten meal though he has no problems with gluten. I think gluten is hard to digest for everyone.

Some here have the same symptoms as celiacs, are just as sensitive, and have had amazing recoveries.

Others seem to have gluten intolerance as a symptom of another health issue.

I know I have two daughters who eat gluten-free, are not celiacs, and can have the occassional gluteny treat. One has something with gluten a few times per year, the other takes a Glutenease so she cna have cake at her friend's birthday parties. I should mention, our gluten intolerance seems to be a result of another health issue. I am hyper-sensitive to gluten so can't do what my daughters do.

Please note: I would NOT tell a celiac that this is okay. It's NOT. For some non-celiac gluten intolerants it's not either.

Kaycee Collaborator

JuniperBush, I had to answer this one, as some things are similar to me.

In my case, I was having problems with my stomach as in diarhoea, and had been for a long time, but I was a bit embarassed about it, so just put up with it without telling anybody. I was overweight, so I embarked on a diet, and naturally when dieting you eat more healthier and also a lot less gluten. I can tell you after a week of dieting with increased fruit and veges and with maybe a third or less of my normal gluten intake, I did notice quite a change in my bowel habits. They had improved even though I ate more fibre, I was stumped, but liked the results and kept at it.

Lets fast forward a few months, still dieting, I had lost about 10 kilos and was still low gluten, but the improvements I had noticed at the start were reversed and I had diarhoea again. So for me reduced gluten did make a change but it was only temporary. I found everytime there was a shout at work, or everytime I overate I had other not so nice syptoms, like cramps which followed with major diarhoea.

I was not pleased with my health and went ahead and sought answers. My answer was coeliac, the numbers were low too and the doctor described it as weakly positve, but positive none the less, so now I am totally gluten free, or as good as I can do it. The first week gluten free, I noticed improvements, and was impressed. But even then after a few weeks I felt like I was slipping back, but I hung on in there and kept gluten free. It has not been easy, there have been slip ups (non deliberate) and other things that have irritated my stomach. Sometimes it has been two steps forward and one back. But by about 9 months gluten free, my stomach had settled, and the diarhoea had all but dissappeared, only to come back occassionally, and that would be maybe once a month if I am unlucky.

So I guess low gluten does make a difference, but if you have problems with gluten, they might only be temporary.

Hope this answers some of your questions. My answer was to go totally gluten free to see any long term positve results.

Cathy

JuniperBush Newbie

It's all very interesting. I wish there was just a cut and dried answer though. It would sure be easier :D

That's an interesting idea and I wonder if the reduced gluten thing really is only temporary. Which, if it is, will be bad because then I'm guessing they'll say "oh see, it wasn't that afterall" and go back to full gluten. Not that I'm doing so well myself. I keep accidentally glutening myself. :angry:

It's something to think on at least.

Rosewynde Rookie

Celiac Disease is a autoimmune disorder triggered by a high stress event. If you read about it, any bit of gluten will worsen it. It may take time but eventually your immune system will be so sensitized it will start reacting immediately and drastically to any bit of gluten. My dietitian said Celiac Disease means gluten free for life. After all the problems I've had, I believe it.

Keep in mind, i don't know anything about gluten intolerance and how this figures into it. Though I wonder if that isn't just the early stages of Celiac Disease.

Archived