#1 arismama

arismama

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 06:57 AM

Greetings!

We're new to the idea of a gluten-free lifestyle and I've been doing some checking around for natural food stores. So far I've come back with a couple of "big" ones - Whole Foods and Sun Harvest (part of the Wild Oats family). Does anyone shop at one of these where you live and is it worth the trip for a gluten-free? Do you find what you need there? I want to be prepared with gluten-free food, as I expect my daughter will have to make that switch in the near future.

Also, a bit OT, but my daughter is milk-free (possibly all dairy considering her reaction to food w/egg this past week) and I was wondering if anyone happens to know if either store is DF friendly as well.

Thanks much!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 scudderkidwell

scudderkidwell

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 01:35 PM

Greetings!

We're new to the idea of a gluten-free lifestyle and I've been doing some checking around for natural food stores. So far I've come back with a couple of "big" ones - Whole Foods and Sun Harvest (part of the Wild Oats family). Does anyone shop at one of these where you live and is it worth the trip for a gluten-free? Do you find what you need there? I want to be prepared with gluten-free food, as I expect my daughter will have to make that switch in the near future.

Also, a bit OT, but my daughter is milk-free (possibly all dairy considering her reaction to food w/egg this past week) and I was wondering if anyone happens to know if either store is DF friendly as well.

Thanks much!

My husband has celiac disease as well as Lactose Free. We shop at Whole Foods every 2 weeks or so to get supplies. They have a great selection of different things from Flours to pasta, gluten-free breads and alot more. The store in our area, Orlando, Fl, carries chocolate chips that is gluten-free and Dairy Free. It's called Tropical Source Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips. We buy them buy the case and they taste great. I've never heard of Sun Harvest. Have to see if there is one in our area.

Hope this helps you. Jean

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 03:33 PM

Wild Oat's and Trader Joe's are my regular grocery stores (and were before going gluten-free), so I'm a bit biased. :-P (Of course, I budget to purchase organic produce/meat and purchase next to no processed foods (though I do buy canned tuna and pumpkin! ;-) So the price difference is something I've planned for already.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 Pegster

Pegster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:57 PM

My closest Whole Foods is 30 miles away, and I feel like dancing every time I go there. They have a frozen gluten-free section with hamburger buns, cinnamon roles, pizza crusts... Lots of cereals and pastas, frozen meals. I love it! I also love Trader Joes. Ask for their Gluten Free food list!
PEGGY
Positive DH biopsy 4/19/04

#5 arismama

arismama

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:13 PM

My closest Whole Foods is 30 miles away, and I feel like dancing every time I go there. They have a frozen gluten-free section with hamburger buns, cinnamon roles, pizza crusts... Lots of cereals and pastas, frozen meals. I love it! I also love Trader Joes. Ask for their Gluten Free food list!

So they actually have the gluten-free sectioned out in certain areas? I was wondering if they did that or if you would just have to read labels throughout the store. I was debating printing out the two stores' product list. They keep one handy in the store to help with shopping? That would be great.

Thanks to all who gave feedback. This board has been super! :D

#6 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 01:54 PM

The Whole Foods near me doesn't have an entirely separate gluten-free section, but all the gluten-free foods are next to each other on the shelves so you don't have to waste time scutinizing every item to find one that's OK. I haven't seen a detailed gluten-free list at Whole Foods, but Trader Joe's has one.

One caveat about the store-brand pre-bagged grains and dry beans at Whole Foods: be sure to check the label for an allergen disclaimer. Everything in my store says it's processed on the same equipment as wheat, and I have had a few reactions. So be cautious--as always!

--Sarah
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: