This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Iodine Patch Test

bugstabber

bugstabber Rookie

Could you tell me how to do the iodine patch test? I found where you use a 30% iodine solution, but can you put it on a bandage? How long does it have to be on the skin? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rinne Apprentice

If you are doing the iodine test that I am thinking of then check out Lugol's iodine, it is important to use it properly (you paint it on your torso, but where on your torso :unsure: ?) sorry I am not really awake yet. Then you watch and if it disappears before 24 hours are up you are deficient in iodine.

Here is some information for you.

Recipe: Paint about a 2" X 2" area on your stomach area, always moving the spot around to different locations (or the skin gets dried out and itchy). Just two days ago I forgot to paint in the morning, by evening I had a acne starting to form on my chin, I quickly painted my tummy, and when I awoke the next day it was gone!

If your paintings don't absorb then you can put off painting, maybe every other day. It means your iodine level is okay, maybe you really don't need any. However, I read that 80% of Americans are iodine defficient. They used to put iodine in all of our flour products (before 1966), then they discovered bromide, it is easier, cheaper, less messy and makes ingredients mix well, so it's in all of our bread, flour products (except "sprouted grain" breads/products & 100% organic) cakes, even Gatorade and Mountain Dew (it was found in Dansani water too)!

Fluoride, chlorine, bromide & iodine are all halogens, their atomic weight determines which one deletes the other, fluoride being the winner (doesn't that make you happy). Iodine is the loser, so all three delete iodine. That's why we are all deficient, we cannot escape fluoride, chlorine and bromide! So, paint paint paint, you only absorb what you need!"

We asked Donna for more information...

"Glad you are so interested. Yes! The iodine dyes the skin--sort of-- it is suposed to, so you can see when it's gone. Your skin isn't really dyed--as it absorbs into the skin. If it absorbs (disappears) before 24 hours then you are iodine deficient. If you buy the colorless iodine then you will never know if you are iodine deficient or not.

As 80% of us in the U.S. are iodine deficient, it's a good guess you are one of us! I painted a friend visiting from Europe--her painting lasted 75 hours!!! There's no fluoride, chlorine or bromade in their water or bread. So, her thyroid is working, her body did not absorb it because she had sufficient iodine in her, and she is 67 years old.

The thyroid cleans the blood every 17 minutes and sends out messages in the blood to care for the hormones and all of your glands and organs. If the thyroid is iodine deficient then it cannot work properly. The good news is that you can abuse your throid for 10 years or more before it just cannot do it's job, and then it slowly goes out. It starts by depriving something- whatever it feels is least important to your well being, your face may break out, your hair may get thin or dry, you may get dark circles under your eyes, you may feel dizzy or slow. It's not something you really even notice for years, and then something bad happens.....cancer, diabetes, heart attack (impurities in the blood cause the vessels to clog), etc.

The good news is it only takes the thyroid 3 months to be strong again with feeding it iodine. However, I will paint every day because our society is so busy depleting iodine in our food. It used to be in our soils, it raines down on us from the sky, now we pesticide and chemicalize our soil to death. Just don't forget that the thyroid regulates how much oxygen gets into the blood. So, take another simplistic step back & go to "iodine" and cure your thyroid.

More regarding your thyroid: your thyroid is 65% iodine. It also regulates the oxygen that gets into your cells. Lack of sufficient oxygen in your cells is the root of all cancers. And, everyone who has died from cancer is found to have a deficient thyroid gland. A low body temperature (under 97.6) is also caused by low thyroid function, this is your first signal that something is wrong.

Sea Kelp pills also supply iodine......painting though, w/ iodine, is always there for your thyroid to feed on!

Lugols is a stronger iodine, it is 6%, so just doing the math-- if 2% should stay on for 24 hours then Lugols should stay on 72 hours. Just go with the drug store 2% variety, mine is Swan brand, and watch it absorb, if yours disappears really quickly then as a daily painting you could use the stronger Lugols. Or you can buy Iodoral tablets on the web. They are 12% iodine. I take one every other day. However your thyroid can only absorb a very small amount everyday, you cannot force it to drink more than it can absorb naturally. The excess isn't wasted though, it uses the excess that you feed it daily to help regulate the organs and blood. But I feel that painting is the best, I will paint every day the rest of my life.

Open Original Shared Link

darlindeb25 Collaborator

You should really discuss this with a doctor, you can get too much iodine too and cause other problems.

Open Original Shared Link From this site, I found this:

What happens if we get too much iodine? - Most people who have previously been iodine sufficient can safely tolerate fairly large amounts. As mentioned above, some individuals have thyroid nodules that escape the body's usual controls, and they can start making too much thyroid hormone when their dietary iodine increases, to produce a condition called iodine-induced hyperthyroidism.

Iodine excess can also cause thyroid underactivity, because large amounts of iodine block the thyroid's ability to make hormone. Individuals vary widely in their tolerance to iodine. Most people can handle large amounts satisfactorily, but there are exceptions. People with a tendency towards so-called autoimmune thyroid diseases, such as Graves' disease or Hashimoto's thyroiditis, or who have family members with these problems, may be more sensitive to iodine. In fact, high iodine intakes in a population are associated with an increased incidence of these autoimmune thyroid diseases. Also, high levels of iodine in the population may increase the incidence of papillary thyroid cancer, although this is not well established. Fortunately, papillary thyroid cancer is usually a mild form of cancer and rarely causes death.

Most people can tolerate at least 1 mg (1000 mcg) of iodine daily without adverse effects. People with underlying autoimmune thyroid disease or who have previously been iodine deficient, may tolerate less. Iodine excess is undesirable, but its consequences are not nearly so severe as those of iodine deficiency, because the latter affects human development and can produce permanent brain damage. Properly iodized salt will rarely add more than about 300 mcg iodine daily to the diet. Therefore, concern about iodine excess is not a reason to stop or avoid consumption of iodized salt.

bugstabber Rookie

I'm wondering if we're talking about two different things. The patch test I read about led me to believe that I could create the DH blisters with the test. Here's the link: https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-14107289021.be

bugstabber Rookie

I'm surprised no one here has heard about this.

rinne Apprentice

I hadn't heard of it but all of my symptoms were digestive.

Have you tried it?

ptkds Community Regular

This is an interesting idea. So I kinda tried it. I am not sure yet if I have DH (I go the the Derm next month), but I think I do. So I put some iodine (only it was from a 1% solution) on a bandaid and stuck it on my arm for a full day. It itched and drove me nuts. When I took it off, my skin was all red and irritated, but no real DH bumps. It is still a bumpy though where the iodine was, and I took it off last night. But I am worried that the iodine was only 1%. I think it is supposed to be a higher concentration.

I will let you know if I break out in bigger, DH-type bumps.

good luck!

ptkds

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bugstabber Rookie

No I haven't tried it yet, the grocery store didn't have any iodine. My husband is home recovering from knee surgery so when I have a little more free time I'll track some down. It said a 30% solution, so I'm wondering if it is sold full strength or what. I guess I'll just soak a bandage and wear it overnight or so and see what happens. Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know what happens.

ptkds Community Regular
No I haven't tried it yet, the grocery store didn't have any iodine. My husband is home recovering from knee surgery so when I have a little more free time I'll track some down. It said a 30% solution, so I'm wondering if it is sold full strength or what. I guess I'll just soak a bandage and wear it overnight or so and see what happens. Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know what happens.

Yep, when dh gets home, I may go see if I can find some stronger iodine. I don't know how it is sold. I just used some stuff I had here that I used awhile back. I still have a rough spot exactly where the pad on the bandage was. It looks funny. It is a perfect rectangle of tiny bumps!

Keep us updated! I want to know if it works!

ptkds

little d Enthusiast

I don't understand what this is about, can someone explain a little more

donna

ptkds Community Regular
I don't understand what this is about, can someone explain a little more

donna

According to the link above to the celiac.com website, you can create DH blisters by putting iodine on your skin. But there is another Iodine procedure that helps a person increase their iodine levels, and that is by painting iodine onto your skin daily. Since the spot where I put the iodine-soaked bandaid on my arm is getting worse, then I definetly wouldn't do that.

Hope that helps clear it up for ya!

ptkds

little d Enthusiast

yes thank you, so if you have a tendous of having DH anyway the Iodine will bring it out and is it true DH or your body reacting to the Iodine, and what kind of Iodine is used

donna

• 4 weeks later...
Betty in Texas Newbie

This really makes since to me now I am wondering when I would have to have test where they use iodine in the veins I would break out in hives and they would have to give me injections of benedryl and said always tell them you react to iodine and next time come around I would forget to tell them and the same thing would happen again. I wonder if there is a conection

Archived