8 replies to this topic

#1 robic

robic

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 04:33 AM

Hi. I'm a fairly recently diagnosed celiac. I have, in the last 3 months heard of 2 women who suffered both celiacs disease and polycystic ovarian syndrome. I too suffer from both of these conditions. Does anyone know if there has been any research or speculations as to a relationship between the two? Is there any other women out there with both who might have some information. My doctor just scoffed and paid no attention to my query.
Thanks, Izzy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rsavage

rsavage

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 06:59 PM

:o Dear Izzy,
I too have wondered if there might be some kind of connection between Celiac and female problems. Please allow me to explain. My mother (celiac) had uterine cancer. My sister (celiac) had breast cancer. This along with 3 women celiacs for each man sort of makes me wonder what if anything the hormones do to change cells. I have not seen anything about this but you know that some doctors think they are God and haven't a clue about things so they get real upset if you question them. Keep searching, there are good doctors and answers for all of us out there. God bless, Royann

#3 Guest_Terry_*

Guest_Terry_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:06 AM

Hi- I have been diagnosed with Celiac for close to 7 years now- I have several other diseases that "go along "with celiac. Asthma, Diabetes, IGA deficiency, Interstisial cystis.
Terry :huh:

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 02:36 PM

Some women have also found a link between celiac and vulvodynia.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 beelzebubble

beelzebubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 04:04 PM

i also have pcos. i don't know if there's any sort of connection. but, i know that the incidence of irritable bowell syndrom appears to be higher among pcos'ers, so there might be. if you want, you can send me a pm, and we could chat about it.

c-

#6 slockhart

slockhart

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 04:47 PM

I'm yet another celiac with PCO syndrome. I discovered I was a coeliac in 2000 and have had bouts of cysts since then. However, I have only recently discovered that my gluten-free diet wasn't as gluten-free as I thought. No pain since starting the stricter diet but its only been a couple of months.
I have been doing quite a bit of research lately into gluten intolerance and its related diseases and I am sure I came across a connection between the two. However, at the time my focus was on another connection with coeliac disease and so put it aside. If I find it I will let you know. Otherwise, general infertility problems are well documented. There's a book called Dangerous Grains which summarises most of the known or suspected connections of gluten intolerance and other health problems including infertility. Also, a google search can be great and can even lead to the primary literature in the medical journals - perfect ammunition to arm yourself with when next you visit those doctors too lazy to do their own research and/or too arrogant to accept information from patients.

#7 armymom3

armymom3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 03:32 AM

Hi. I am a brand new member and I actually got on this board to find out this exact thing...I have type II diabetes and am 34 years old. Unusual as I was diagnosed when I was 32 and most Type II's are age on set as well as over weight. Not my case...I have not had the Celiac blood panel run yet but am going in on Monday. I have actually been using a gluten-free and wheat free diet for about 5 days now (had some slip ups along the way) and my sugars are much more manageable and I feel better. My grandmother had an allergy to gluten and wheat but as far as we know was never technically diagnosed with Celiac. She was also a Type II diabetic (age on- set). Is there anyone out there that is an early diagnosed type II and has Celiac? I found alot of correlation with Type I and Celiac but not so much info on Type II and Celiac. Strange, but I almost hope it is Celiac - atleast I would know what is wrong with me and get on the track of recovery. Also, does anyone out there with Celiac have gallbladder problems?
Thanks
Leslie

#8 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2004 - 03:22 PM

Here is a very informative link about Research on Diseases and Disorders Associated with Celiac Disease

I hope this is helpful to each of you looking for answers :D

#9 kalo

kalo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 06:11 PM

Hi Leslie. Welcome to the group. I wanted to say that I understand about wanting to have celiac disease. I have a 7 page health history which begins at birth and I was 55 on Thursday. After a diagnosis of chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, low thyroid/low adrenal, IBS, and sinus/allergy and still not well it would be SUCH A RELIEF. Keep us posted. My blood test was negative which doesn't mean anything. I'm awaiting the results from a simple stool test from enterolabs. A much more accurate test. Best wishes. Hugs, Carol B
Hugs, Carol B Enterolab diagnosed gluten sensitive and casein allergic June 04

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: