This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Broke Down And Ate Sandwich

bloatedntexas

bloatedntexas Rookie

Forgive me for I have sinned. I broke down and ate a sandwich. I couldn't help it. It was the only thing around and I was hungry. I feel bloated now. HELP!

has this happened to anyone else? did they cheat?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

It's happened to the best of us. There's nothing you can really do now other than sit back and wait for the nastier symptoms to start. If you haven't already, you may want to try downing a Red Bull energy drink. That seems to take the edge off the sleepiness and the brain fog. It's also packed with B vitamins. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Guest Doll
Forgive me for I have sinned. I broke down and ate a sandwich. I couldn't help it. It was the only thing around and I was hungry. I feel bloated now. HELP!

I've never flat out cheated, because I'd probably die :o (I'm not kidding, my blood pressure and blood sugar usually drops when exposed to gluten), but there have been times where I have risked a little CC. And paid dearly...but for a moment, it was almost worth it! I just get to make friends with the bathroom for a few hours!

Don't worry, just move on. Nobody's perfect. Don't make cheating a regular thing, but if you have already done it, let it go. It tasted good, right? :) Now look for some decent gluten-free bread. Glutino cornbread is great. Fruit is also a good snack that you can find almost anywhere.

Happy (gluten-free) snacking!

Saz Explorer

I cheated the other day and had chicken and chips. Im really asymptamatic so have eat lots to get sick. The silly things is that I did have a choice. I dont know why I did it really. The best thing to do is not beat yourself up, be very careful for a few days and like others said, get some yummy gluten-free treats.

kbtoyssni Contributor

It looks like you're still new to celiac and it's hard to transition to being able to get food anywhere to having to bring your own all the time. Hopefully this will inspire you to think ahead and always bring something to eat with you. And sorry you feel badly - get better soon!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

It's happened to all of us, I know I have done it before. It is hard to get on the wagon especially in the beginning. I don't know about anyone else but I am set in my habits and the idea of never having any of the gluten containing food again bothered me. I don't cheat now. Good Luck

EmmaQ Rookie

The best advice it to not have the gluten stuff around the house, ditch it all... That isn't always possible. If that isn't possible, find gluten-free treats you like let go of the Price tag and just have a bag of those Kinni donuts around, they are good. WholeFoods GlutenFree Bake House sandwich bread is very tolerable, warm.

I have a lunch box in the car with snacks to tied us over if I'm out and about. I have gluten-free crackers, PB in a little cup thing (Jiff), a knife, raisins, fruit snacks (it's for the kids too), chips, juice boxes, applesauce with spoons.

I remember 1 occassion when we were all out and there was NO place appropriate to eat, we demolished the food in that lunch box with an hour left till home. I was pregnant and not willing to risk it. I don't risk it with the kids either, the long term results are just too dangerous IMO. And it teaches them that "oh this one time won't matter", when in fact it does very much matter to their little bodies.

I think it's a little different for adults, b/c we are making choices for us and the consequences are ours alone. With kids the choices I made are teaching them how to handle their life.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiffjake Enthusiast

You ever heard that phrase "You will stay the same until the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change"? That is how it is with me and cheating. When I was first letting go of gluten, I would cheat, because I was sick most of the time anyway, so what was new. But now that I am not sick, and I know what it will do to me, it isn't worth it at all.

Some people get preachy and say "you are killing yourself, suck it up, get over it" stuff like that, but honestly, you won't stop until you have a good reason, and for me, that was getting REALLY sick. Maybe remembering the bloating will stop you next time.

I hope you feel better soon :)

Katydid Apprentice

I had to chuckle at your opening line. It reminded me of the confessional as a young catholic girl.

The same thing happened to my daughter who is 40. She was at a business meeting luncheon and they sat a plate of mouth watering pasta in front of her. Her intent was just to eat the salad. But she said, "Mom, I just couldn't help myself, I was starving and it looked so good." See--it happens to everyone. Well, almost everyone. My celiac husband would never even be tempted...but then he was in severe agony for 15 years before diagnoses.

The people I admire are the ones without symptoms. They just know its something they have to do for their health.

terridavis11 Newbie

Why I won't cheat...

This past October my father died from malnourishment caused by his "cheating" too many times. My father was a very strong and healthy man except for having celiac. Unfortunately he thought it wouldn't hurt to have the occasional piece of cake, bread or beer. He eventually became so malnourished he broke his hip... ended up in the hospital and died there in two weeks. The doctors said that his villi were damaged beyond repair... I saw a strong man I loved dearly slowly wither away to skin and bones. The malnourishment also effected his mind towards the end and even that was fading...

My daughter and I both have celiac and I actually don't have any problem saying no to foods I can't have. Of course I also know I will be sick for hours. My daughter gets so sick that she gets angry when she has something "by accident" She is only 13 but has learned to read labels and knows what she can and can't have. She brings her own snacks to friends. I missed pizza but made some tonight with Bob's Red Mill Wonderful Bread Mix-Gluten Free. I also make bread in my bread machine using this and find it to be satisfying especially toasted. They also have a chocolate cake mix that is phenomenal as cake or cupcakes.

I hope this helps the next time you feel like cheating...

Archived