Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Had A Great Meal Last Night At Smokey Bones!

12 posts in this topic

Last night we went out with some friends to Smokey Bones and had a great gluten-free meal!! They don't have a menu online, but can print one out for you there. My server didn't know what I was talking about, so I asked him to ask the manager. He was then very helpful. Not only are their BBQ sauces gluten-free, but most of their sides are gluten-free too! There were lots of choices for meats/chicken and salads. I had the baby back ribs, baked potato and steamed broccoli. It took me forever to decide what I wanted b/c I am not used to having that many choices when I go out.

I highly recommend Smokey Bones if you are looking for a place to eat gluten-free.

Ads by Google:

That is good to know, I will have to visit the one back at my parents house. I am not sure if we have one in my area. Glad you enjoyed your meal.

Last night we went out with some friends to Smokey Bones and had a great gluten-free meal!! They don't have a menu online, but can print one out for you there. My server didn't know what I was talking about, so I asked him to ask the manager. He was then very helpful. Not only are their BBQ sauces gluten-free, but most of their sides are gluten-free too! There were lots of choices for meats/chicken and salads. I had the baby back ribs, baked potato and steamed broccoli. It took me forever to decide what I wanted b/c I am not used to having that many choices when I go out.

I highly recommend Smokey Bones if you are looking for a place to eat gluten-free.

Sounds like you had a great meal!! I love bbq. Is smokey bones a chain ?

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Sounds like you had a great meal!! I love bbq. Is smokey bones a chain ?

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Yes, it is a chain! :) I have seen them in Ohio, PA and GA. Their website is www.smokeybones.com/

:)

That is good to know, I will have to visit the one back at my parents house. I am not sure if we have one in my area. Glad you enjoyed your meal.

Just a FYI, Smokey Bones in Dickson City Closed. There is one in Wilkes-barre still.

I love smokey bones, haven't eaten scince going gluten-free, though my fave parts of the meal was the Cornbread appitizer and texas toast! Not gonna be ordering that now. However, I like their pulled pork! Will Check it out next time.

SunnyDyRain

You are making me soooooo hungry right now I have not had breakfast yet. I don't think that I have ever heard of Smokey Bones here in Texas, We have Springcreek BBQ and others not much there I can have except for bake potaos

Donna

Hey Amanda there is one in York!

Little D, i'd think if your in texas you would have lots of BBQ and pulled pork places all around. I've never been to texas, but I hear they have the best BBQ around.

Wow! Good to know! We ate there a couple of weeks ago right after I figured out I had Celiac but wasn't dx, yet. I was too scared to order anything, and whatever I did order made me sick immediately (of course, most things made me sick, I was always eating something bad at every meal and didn't know it.)... Thanks for the advice. I love pulled pork!

Wow! We ate at Smokey Bones this evening - the first time since I last posted (see above) and they have a Gluten-Free menu! I was thrilled! I had pulled pork, steamed broccoli and cole slaw. They don't carry the asparagus any longer in Springfield, IL. The menu lists apples, but I didn't know for sure if it was the cinnamon apples or not. I'd assume so since I didn't see any other apples on there and if I would have put two and two together before I ordered, I would have gotten that. The whole meal was fantastic!

Just a FYI, Smokey Bones in Dickson City Closed. There is one in Wilkes-barre still.

Ya know I just saw that last time I went to visit...I wonder why they went out. Although the Dickson City location is smack dab in the middle of a ton of other places to eat.

We don't have on in Harrisburg though do we?

Ya know I just saw that last time I went to visit...I wonder why they went out. Although the Dickson City location is smack dab in the middle of a ton of other places to eat.

We don't have on in Harrisburg though do we?

I think we have one down in York. I have heard that the chain has been kind of down sizing recently...so chances of them opening one soon is probally slim. :(

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• It only takes a minute to make a difference. Celiac disease has been overshadowed by the gluten-free diet fad. Getting diagnosed and staying healthy is no piece of cake – those of us who have celiac disease struggle to stay healthy. We need better. We need to be understood. We need a cure. View the full article
    • If you are one of the approximately 2-3 million Americans with celiac disease, ZyGluten™ may be taken before you eat out at a restaurant or a friend\'s house, as it may help break down any gluten cross-contamination that you might encounter. View the full article
    • Advil (ibuprofen) is gluten-free, but can be a stomach irritant, especially if taken on an empty stomach. That said, I will also place my bet on the garlic and onions. As Raven said, eating more than once a day may also help. An empty stomach is likely to be an irritable stomach.
    • Another link: http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/7351/PDF
    • Thanks for posting.  I know it is difficult to talk about these sorts of things even on a webforum.  It is good thing for people to be aware though about celiac disease and that it can cause mental problems.  Gluten can cause brain damage and it can cause anxiety. If the brain does heal it may take a long time. I know that gluten can cause anxiety and obsessive thoughts.  My experience has been similar to your experience. When I first quit eating gluten I had a similar constant loop and strong negative feelings. There are lots of people on this forum who get anxiety when they eat gluten. Some people also experience gluten withdrawl where they experience anxiety after giving up gluten. It can take a long time for the body to heal and for obsessive thoughts to go away.
       It is normal for people to socialize with each other and to be comfortable about it. You said you have problems still socializing and being around people. It might be a depressing thought but it sounds to me like you still have problems with anxiety.  I would recommend considering what options you have available to treat the anxiety. When I quit eating Gluten I still had some symptoms, even though I felt much better. I have been slowly recovering over a period of about three years. I had obsessive thoughts even after I quit eating gluten.  Now I very rarely if at all think about those things. My experience is that my mind would latch on to certain things that caused me anxiety and focus on those things. Sometimes my focus would shift and I would latch onto other things. My ability to socialize has also improved greatly with time. I have made some dietary changes which I believe have helped greatly. It sounds to me like you have obsessive thoughts about things and maybe some brain damage. My experience has been that my obsessive thoughts about different things went away with time. I feel my obsessive thoughts were caused by gluten and not by what people did around me or any events. As my brain healed I became more self aware and things became less stressful.  I can't give medical advice on this forum but I can talk about my current diet and my experience with celiac disease. My experience with gluten is different from a lot of other people so it is a good idea to ask other people and to talk to a doctor.  I avoid oats and avoid almost all processed foods. I buy certified gluten free food. I eat healthy and I exercise every day. I take st John's Wort as I have read studies that say it may be as effective as some other anti-depressants for treating certain types of anxiety. It is available over the counter. I started with a small dosage and then stepped it up over time. I think it helps a lot.  This is also something that you should talk to a doctor about first. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Martin_Mahoney2/publication/7426926_St._John's_wort/links/540d8acc0cf2f2b29a386673.pdf A lot of people with celiac disease have vitamin deficiencies.  Vitamin b deficiency can cause anxiety. Some people do not process the synthetic form of vitamin b (from normal pills)  very well, and do better on an activated form of vitamin b. I take:
      1 activated vitamin b12 daily
      1 activated vitamin b6 every once in a while. 1 regular vitamin b multivitamin
      1 magnesium pill every day.
      St Johns Wort daily.
      1 zinc vitamin daily
      I drink lots of Chamomile tea and decaf coffee. I avoid most caffeine. 
      I think each of these helps lower my anxiety level.  I eat fruit with every meal. Canned fruit from walmart is cheap and good for you. I eat salad and and vegetables and avoid dairy.  I eat frozen fish often as it has healthy proteins. Eating healthy is very important. I eat potatoes and rice. http://www.livestrong.com/article/454179-what-is-methyl-b12/ I avoid eating soy sauce, soy, cheese, aged meats and fermented foods (I do drink certain types of alcohol in moderate amounts.) These foods contain lots of Tyramine. I might (or might not) have "monoaine oxidase deficiency" and if so high Tyramine foods should be avoided.  I thought I might have problems with elevated ammonia in my blood, but I am not convinced of that anymore. I limited my consumption of meat for a while as well as dairy but I am not sure if i helped.  I have heard that Celiac disease can effect other organs besides the brain and those organs can have an effect on the brain.  My current diet is working so I am going to stick with it for now. I try not to worry about things that are outside of my control. Be patient as it took me a long time to recover.  Let me know if you have any questions. There is a lot of information on this site and people who are willing to help.

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Gigi Fagon