16 replies to this topic

#1 holdthegluten

holdthegluten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:20 AM

does anyone else have weak legs all of the time. My upper body feels pretty strong, however my legs always feel tired and weak. I am very good about following the gluten free diet and i cant figure out why my legs have no strength. I am pretty active, And 27 years old. Its not like i cant walk, but their just not the same. Should i try to build them up by weightlifting?
28 yr old Male
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007
Gluten-free/Casein Free
HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!
Married
1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth
" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_micah_*

Guest_micah_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:50 AM

Hi,

My legs are weak like noodles all of the time. Exercise only makes them worse though. I don't know if it's the same thing you have, but I've only been gluten free for 8 days. They are still very weak. I'm only just now suspecting celiac after 9 years of weak legs along with other awful symptoms.

Micah

#3 EBsMom

EBsMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:35 PM

does anyone else have weak legs all of the time.

My mom had leg weakness as one of her major symptoms when she was hyperthyroid (Graves Disease.) Have you had your thyroid checked?

Rho

#4 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:05 PM

I have pretty weak legs too, but part of that is because my torso and my legs don't get along, thanks to a crazy pelvis. I just started physical therapy, so hopefully it will get better.

Maybe try pilates to strengthen the whole body, to see if you get the top and bottom working together to take some of the pressure off your leg muscles.

-Sherri

#5 ZoFlies

ZoFlies

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

At the pilates studio I worked at a colleague of mine had a client that had celiac disease. She gained a lot, particularly stength in her legs, from doing pilates. She started out with 1/2 a session (30min) and built up to the full hour. Check out my profile for more!
Z. Anderson

#6 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:08 PM

My weak legs and backache was caused by low B12. Much better now I have had the B12 - symptoms return a little before a jab is due and then improve each time.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#7 MariaS

MariaS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:22 PM

Since November 07, I have noticed my legs get very weak. I also have found that the new additives and preservatives being put into our entire food supply (from meats to canned goods) are what's causing it.

I never had this reaction ever in my 63 years of living and I play tennis, so I know weak legs.
I know it's the additives because my lips and tongue start to burn after eating that product. But the worst side effect are the very weak legs. It can last for 24 hrs or until the chemicals are expelled.

Just thought I'd update you on what's going on with foods these days and people who already have allergies.

Other than not eat the product, I wondered if there was some natural remedy we could try.

#8 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:25 AM

does anyone else have weak legs all of the time. My upper body feels pretty strong, however my legs always feel tired and weak. I am very good about following the gluten free diet and i cant figure out why my legs have no strength. I am pretty active, And 27 years old. Its not like i cant walk, but their just not the same. Should i try to build them up by weightlifting?

Ahh, the old weak leg problem. First developed for me when the first arthritic symptoms came on, long before the psoriasis, long before the gluten intolerance was discovered. Happened overnight, I went on a bus-trip outing and someone had to push me up the steps!! Has waxed and waned over the years with arthritis meds, etc., etc. Went away after I went gluten free, but has now come back with a vengeance along with arthritis-like symptoms. As RiceGuy said in another thread, maybe it is candidiasis this time that is causing my problems (they can be the same as gluten). My poor gut has tolerated so much gluten over the years it is probably overgrown with everything under the sun, considering my poor immune system which has been weakened by all the antibiotics I have taken (despite the desperate probiotics attempts). I have difficulty right now climbing the stairs to go to bed. So I do have sympathy, especially considering how young you are. It can be pretty frightening because it can happen overnight. Just look at it as a symptom of something that hasn't been corrected yet. Keep looking! I don't think weights (IMHO) will help at this point--it's not a training problem.

Neroli
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 MariaS

MariaS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:38 PM

I went to see my PCP and he's sending me to an allergist for these chemical reactions.
I'll let you know what he says or does. :)

#10 susieg_1

susieg_1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:02 AM

Since November 07, I have noticed my legs get very weak. I also have found that the new additives and preservatives being put into our entire food supply (from meats to canned goods) are what's causing it.

I never had this reaction ever in my 63 years of living and I play tennis, so I know weak legs.
I know it's the additives because my lips and tongue start to burn after eating that product. But the worst side effect are the very weak legs. It can last for 24 hrs or until the chemicals are expelled.

Just thought I'd update you on what's going on with foods these days and people who already have allergies.

Other than not eat the product, I wondered if there was some natural remedy we could try.

Am also having problems with weak and painful legs. just got blood test for myasthenia gravis another autoimmune disease that effects muscles. Also am avoiding all additives in food and even if it does not help I feel that it must be healthier all around to avoid these unnatural ingredients in food. I also find that sublingual B12 make me feel much stronger. Can be purchased at Wegmans and other drug stores. I used to do alot of weight lifting and it is difficult to live with the weakness that I now experience just walking up stairs! Hope this helps!
Self dx celiac disease
Gluten free since July 2007
Clinical dx celiac disease November 2007
Self-dx Lyme disease May 2008
Lyme confirmed positive Western Blot May 2008

#11 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:53 PM

I had a bit of a relapse after my last message and am now being tested for myasthenia gravis as well. My auntie had it - and it can be genetic as its an autoimmune disease. My research shows the blood test at best is 80% accurate and at worst 50% accurate - so even if you test negative to the blood test and keep having the symptoms - you need to see a Neurologist for further testing. Seems there are treatments now if you catch it early enough. My auntie didn't get treatment and suffered terribly in her last 10 years.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#12 mom with kids

mom with kids

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:13 AM

I went on line looking up weak legs connected with Graves disease and found Celiacs also suffer. I have both Graves Disease and Celiac. I consider myself fairly active but I went to a class at a gym two days ago and now I can barely walk. I used to be able to push 220 lbs and now I can't seem to do a simple gym class. I was diagnosed with Graves 2 yrs ago and had very weak legs then - that was one of the many symptoms I wanted to check with my Dr. Since then the rest of the Graves symptoms have all but disappeared and my Dr thinks I can go off my medication for that. So I was very surprised, and VERY disappointed to find that maybe this problem isn't behind me. Are weak legs something I am going to have to live with?

#13 April in KC

April in KC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:13 PM

Check your Vitamin D status! Ask for a vitamin D "panel" test that includes levels of D3.

Vit D deficiency can cause weakness in the lower extremities.

I was deficient in D (20) after being diagnosed with Celiac. Some test ranges will say that above 30 is okay, but most experts in D say you should be at 45 or higher.

check out the Vitamin D Council website if you're low.

Most North Americans could use more D. Celiacs have even more reason for concern.

#14 April in KC

April in KC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:17 PM

Also, if you're low in vitamin D, you have to do more than take a daily vitamin. That's like 400 IU...my GI prescribed 50,000 IU twice a week for a month...then retest.

But honestly, one of the best ways to increase Vitamin D is to make it the natural way...get out in the sun with minimal clothing for 20 minutes per day. Just don't burn yourself & get skin cancer.

#15 MariaS

MariaS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:10 AM

I get weak legs from:

chemical sensitivities
going off prednisone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users