This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Weak Legs?

holdthegluten

holdthegluten Rising Star

does anyone else have weak legs all of the time. My upper body feels pretty strong, however my legs always feel tired and weak. I am very good about following the gluten free diet and i cant figure out why my legs have no strength. I am pretty active, And 27 years old. Its not like i cant walk, but their just not the same. Should i try to build them up by weightlifting?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest micah

Hi,

My legs are weak like noodles all of the time. Exercise only makes them worse though. I don't know if it's the same thing you have, but I've only been gluten free for 8 days. They are still very weak. I'm only just now suspecting celiac after 9 years of weak legs along with other awful symptoms.

Micah

EBsMom Apprentice
does anyone else have weak legs all of the time.

My mom had leg weakness as one of her major symptoms when she was hyperthyroid (Graves Disease.) Have you had your thyroid checked?

Rho

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I have pretty weak legs too, but part of that is because my torso and my legs don't get along, thanks to a crazy pelvis. I just started physical therapy, so hopefully it will get better.

Maybe try pilates to strengthen the whole body, to see if you get the top and bottom working together to take some of the pressure off your leg muscles.

-Sherri

• 1 month later...
ZoFlies Newbie

At the pilates studio I worked at a colleague of mine had a client that had celiac disease. She gained a lot, particularly stength in her legs, from doing pilates. She started out with 1/2 a session (30min) and built up to the full hour. Check out my profile for more!

georgie Enthusiast

My weak legs and backache was caused by low B12. Much better now I have had the B12 - symptoms return a little before a jab is due and then improve each time.

• 6 months later...
MariaS Rookie

Since November 07, I have noticed my legs get very weak. I also have found that the new additives and preservatives being put into our entire food supply (from meats to canned goods) are what's causing it.

I never had this reaction ever in my 63 years of living and I play tennis, so I know weak legs.

I know it's the additives because my lips and tongue start to burn after eating that product. But the worst side effect are the very weak legs. It can last for 24 hrs or until the chemicals are expelled.

Just thought I'd update you on what's going on with foods these days and people who already have allergies.

Other than not eat the product, I wondered if there was some natural remedy we could try.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient
does anyone else have weak legs all of the time. My upper body feels pretty strong, however my legs always feel tired and weak. I am very good about following the gluten free diet and i cant figure out why my legs have no strength. I am pretty active, And 27 years old. Its not like i cant walk, but their just not the same. Should i try to build them up by weightlifting?

Ahh, the old weak leg problem. First developed for me when the first arthritic symptoms came on, long before the psoriasis, long before the gluten intolerance was discovered. Happened overnight, I went on a bus-trip outing and someone had to push me up the steps!! Has waxed and waned over the years with arthritis meds, etc., etc. Went away after I went gluten free, but has now come back with a vengeance along with arthritis-like symptoms. As RiceGuy said in another thread, maybe it is candidiasis this time that is causing my problems (they can be the same as gluten). My poor gut has tolerated so much gluten over the years it is probably overgrown with everything under the sun, considering my poor immune system which has been weakened by all the antibiotics I have taken (despite the desperate probiotics attempts). I have difficulty right now climbing the stairs to go to bed. So I do have sympathy, especially considering how young you are. It can be pretty frightening because it can happen overnight. Just look at it as a symptom of something that hasn't been corrected yet. Keep looking! I don't think weights (IMHO) will help at this point--it's not a training problem.

Neroli

MariaS Rookie

I went to see my PCP and he's sending me to an allergist for these chemical reactions.

I'll let you know what he says or does. :)

• 4 weeks later...
susieg-1 Apprentice
Since November 07, I have noticed my legs get very weak. I also have found that the new additives and preservatives being put into our entire food supply (from meats to canned goods) are what's causing it.

I never had this reaction ever in my 63 years of living and I play tennis, so I know weak legs.

I know it's the additives because my lips and tongue start to burn after eating that product. But the worst side effect are the very weak legs. It can last for 24 hrs or until the chemicals are expelled.

Just thought I'd update you on what's going on with foods these days and people who already have allergies.

Other than not eat the product, I wondered if there was some natural remedy we could try.

Am also having problems with weak and painful legs. just got blood test for myasthenia gravis another autoimmune disease that effects muscles. Also am avoiding all additives in food and even if it does not help I feel that it must be healthier all around to avoid these unnatural ingredients in food. I also find that sublingual B12 make me feel much stronger. Can be purchased at Wegmans and other drug stores. I used to do alot of weight lifting and it is difficult to live with the weakness that I now experience just walking up stairs! Hope this helps!

georgie Enthusiast

I had a bit of a relapse after my last message and am now being tested for myasthenia gravis as well. My auntie had it - and it can be genetic as its an autoimmune disease. My research shows the blood test at best is 80% accurate and at worst 50% accurate - so even if you test negative to the blood test and keep having the symptoms - you need to see a Neurologist for further testing. Seems there are treatments now if you catch it early enough. My auntie didn't get treatment and suffered terribly in her last 10 years.

• 5 months later...
mom with kids Newbie

I went on line looking up weak legs connected with Graves disease and found Celiacs also suffer. I have both Graves Disease and Celiac. I consider myself fairly active but I went to a class at a gym two days ago and now I can barely walk. I used to be able to push 220 lbs and now I can't seem to do a simple gym class. I was diagnosed with Graves 2 yrs ago and had very weak legs then - that was one of the many symptoms I wanted to check with my Dr. Since then the rest of the Graves symptoms have all but disappeared and my Dr thinks I can go off my medication for that. So I was very surprised, and VERY disappointed to find that maybe this problem isn't behind me. Are weak legs something I am going to have to live with?

April in KC Apprentice

Check your Vitamin D status! Ask for a vitamin D "panel" test that includes levels of D3.

Vit D deficiency can cause weakness in the lower extremities.

I was deficient in D (20) after being diagnosed with Celiac. Some test ranges will say that above 30 is okay, but most experts in D say you should be at 45 or higher.

check out the Vitamin D Council website if you're low.

Most North Americans could use more D. Celiacs have even more reason for concern.

April in KC Apprentice

Also, if you're low in vitamin D, you have to do more than take a daily vitamin. That's like 400 IU...my GI prescribed 50,000 IU twice a week for a month...then retest.

But honestly, one of the best ways to increase Vitamin D is to make it the natural way...get out in the sun with minimal clothing for 20 minutes per day. Just don't burn yourself & get skin cancer.

MariaS Rookie

I get weak legs from:

chemical sensitivities

going off prednisone

GermanMia Newbie

I was diagnosed with celiac disease after a kidney operation august 2007. Although I immediately started eating gluten free, I didn't recover, was exhausted all the time and especially my legs were weak as noodles. I jogged every day but had the feeling that the thigh muscles didn't obey as I was used to. After a while I started having cramps in the calves and thighs. Finally the dr. found out I had a renal infection which had become chronic after the operation. I took antibiotics and immediately felt better - my legs felt great again! But now, five months later, it starts again - sometimes my legs are numbly weak again and calves and thighs feel nearly hard. The thighs have started to slightly hurt all the time - no bad pain, but kind of itching or mild cramping. Hard to describe.

As my gastro-intestinal problems grew stronger again, too, I switched to SCdiet. Now here I am after seven days SCdiet wondering if the strange feelings in my legs will go away? As far as I know I have no lack of vitamins or anything else.

Di-gfree Apprentice

I just started Thyroid (dessicated) in July, and I'm experiencing heavy, weak legs off and on. I have Hashimoto's so I think when I'm in a hyper phase is when it occurs. It is very unpleasant! I practically have to concentrate to get my legs moving.

I don't think I'm absorbing the T3 into my tissues (adrenal and iron problems), so I'm pooling the hormone in my blood instead of it being utilized. This is the theory I came up with, anyway.

I just saw April's comment about low vit D; and my vit D. level is 38, so it is low. I'm taking vit D3 right now, and getting retested in a couple of weeks.

Archived