This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A New Weight Loss Support/accountability Thread

lonewolf

lonewolf Collaborator
You're thinking about a triathalon? That sounds like fun - and a lot of work. ------------------------------------------------

I've done 11 or 12 of them, but they're the small ones - nothing like an ironman. It usually takes just under 1-1/2 hours to finish. I like to set goals to make myself accountable. I actually enjoy doing the small triathlons, since I love to swim and bike ride and as long as I don't have to run too far I like that too. Except for the time in my life where I was raising kids/nursing/sick with undiagnosed gluten problems/sick with kidney disease and fun stuff like that I've always been really active.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

I weighed in this morning. Yikes! I'm off to a good start though, well pretty good. Banana for breakfast (must have lost my appetite after the weigh in). For lunch, 2 corn tortillas with a little bit of cheese and some Rosarita Traditional no fat refried beans (with some Pace Picante mixed in). Really good! I have beans left over for another day. Also had 4 tortilla chips. For dessert, 9 plain M&Ms. I still need to have some chocolate.

For dinner we'll either have smoothies or garlic shrimp. I need to get some veggies! Anyone do V8? Is this gluten-free?

Jestgar Rising Star

I'm down 1/2 pound since last week (this has become my norm).

Brekky: 1/4 quiche ~ equal to 3 eggs, 1/3 c mustard greens, 1/2 c chopped ham, 2 oz feta.

no snack

L: humungoid salad with some slices of lunch meat and handful 'tater chips.

probably no snack again, both B and L were huge

D:possibly two bell peppers with 1 oz feta, since that's what I have for today's snack :)

• 2 weeks later...
little d Enthusiast

Hi ladies

I am so sorry that I have not posted in quite some time. I have been trying really hard on my diet, I think that I have lost a couple of pounds but the scale that I have been using at work got moved and I think that the calabration got messed up a little because one day last week I was 145 and tonight I was 148. I have been eating a little extra this last week because there is a possiblity that I could be pregnant, if I am not my body is play a rude joke on me.

Sunday

B- 3 eggs and bacon 2 gluten-free toast

milk

coffee

D- gluten-free spegetti

tea

working ate at 1 am

leftover spegetti

2 32 oz teas

Monday

up at 2pm

coffee

5pm

gluten-free sandwhich with cheese, turkey

sunflower seeds

brown rice tortilla and sunshine patty with chees

2 32 oz teas

Tuesday up at 2 pm

coffee

D- meatloaf

mash potatoes

green beans

3 glasses of tea

Wendsday

B- rice cereal

coffee

L- gluten-free sandwhich with turkey and cheese

tea

D- gluten-free brown rice tortilla and sunshine patty and cheese

tea

sunflower seeds at 8 pm

working dinner at 12:30am

gluten-free sandwhich with turkey, cheese, alfalfa sprouts, avacodo

salad with sunflower seeds.

2 32 oz teas

Happy eating ladies

donna

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hightop girl

I haven't posted in ages. I am finally losing some of the weight I seemed to gain in the spring. I have cut all fruit, crackers, chips and potatoes after 1 pm. I am back to teaching again, so I ride my bike to and from work and coach middle school cross country. (A little like herding cats). Then a lot of evenings I go for a run. I am glad it is finally dropping!

little d Enthusiast

I am still holding at 147lbs

I will post my meals later when i am at home and on my computer.

donna

Christina725 Newbie

I would love to join too, I always turn to this page for advice but I used to be 130 lbs and since the celiac and dairy have jumped to 160lbs! Looking to loose at least 25 lbs. it's more of the bloat that is giving me problems. Anyways would love to participate in this thread

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest hightop girl

I have lost 10 pounds since Aug. 1... It is the 10 I gained last spring, so I am quite happy. I can finally fit in my clothes again.

I went to an athletic trainer. She knows relatively little about celiac, but was willing to learn. She had me cut out fruit, and other carbs (potato, rice, etc) after 1:00 and increase my protein. I also read that my stomach is really only as big as your hands cupped together, and that when I eat more food than that I will feel bloated or in pain. So I am eating smaller but more frequent meals and more protein. My stomach is not so bloated and I have had almost all pain free nights. I used to wake up every night in pain.

I am glad the 1/2 ironman training is over, but now I am back to commuting on my bike and getting ready for the Chicago marathon.

Jestgar Rising Star

I'm still here too. Have lost 5 pounds since last posting, but had a hysterectomy so I've spent the last few weeks eating badly (surely the doctors' orders tell me somewhere to consume a quart of ice cream) and not moving much.

Trying to recapture the structure in my life and walk three times a day. So far only the am walk happens every day, but the other two happen at least 5 days a week, so I'm getting there.

I tend to reset my counting every time there's a change in my life (as in, now I'll start from my current weight and go down from there) but I was thinking back to before I went gluten-free, some 2 1/2 years ago, and I've lost about 50 pounds since then. Can't count an exact number 'cause my weight varied hugely from day to day back then, but it's at least 50.

Just wanted to add this in case there are some newbies who are intimidated by the amount of weight they need to lose - you can do it, just do it slowly and consistently.

lonewolf Collaborator

Hi everyone! Welcome Christina!

Since I last posted I lost my motivation, gained a bit more weight and then got serious again. I've lost 5 pounds in the past 2-1/2 weeks and have rediscovered my motivation and self-control. It's amazing how great I always feel after I get through the first 3 days without sugar and lots of carbs.

I've been trying to eat lots of vegetables, berries (we have lots in our yard right now), and lean meat. I try to stick to only one grain or high carb serving a day (like potatoes, rice, a slice of rice bread, etc.). I've been exercising regularly and allow myself one day a week that I can have a couple of foods that I crave.

Yesterday, for example, I ate turkey bacon and blueberries for breakfast, a chicken breast patty with guacamole wrapped in lettuce leaves for lunch, more blueberries and some Glutino crackers for a snack and then had chicken and noodles (all gluten-free, of course) and salad for dinner. It was my birthday last week, but I saved my treat for last night and made a wonderful lemon/lime meringue pie that I could really enjoy. That satisfied me and I'm looking forward to a great week of healthy eating.

When I'm tempted to cheat, I think about how it's just not worth it and how I can have something totally yummy on the weekend. My goal now is to lose 15 more pounds before November 17th. That's under 2 pounds a week, which is reasonable, but still tough. I had originally wanted to lose more, but I wasted over a month. I really want to be in good shape when basketball season starts so I can run the court with the girls. And I want to be a good example to my elementary PE students. After I lose the 15 I'll still need to lose about 10 more, but I'll be happy to reach an intermediate goal.

Happy eating and exercising everybody!

• 2 weeks later...
lonewolf Collaborator

Is anyone interested in reviving this thread?

I've been very dedicated and haven't cheated and have been exercising regularly. But, I haven't lost any weight since I posted 10 days ago. I'm not sure what's up - I've been eating between 1000 and 1200 calories a day and working out 5 days a week. I'm hoping that if I stick with it I'll drop a few pounds all at once to make it worth it.

Anyone out there?

lonewolf Collaborator

Hi Kat,

Glad to see that you're still here! I appreciate your response. I finally saw a weight loss on the scale this morning. If I eat too many carbs (more than 100-120 grams) I can't lose weight. If I eat much more than 1200 calories, I don't lose weight fast enough to keep myself motivated. I do have enough energy, so I think I'm giving my body what it needs.

I'm really into keeping track of my nutrition and exercise at spark people dot com. I type in everything I eat and it figures out calories, fat, carbs, protein and fiber. I'm trying to stick to about 40% carbs and 30% fat and 30% protein. This helps keep my blood sugar stable. I still have my treat day on Saturday or Sunday. (Last week I kept close track and think I got just over 1900 calories that day, but didn't work out.) I LOVE how I can see exactly how many calories etc. I've eaten so I know how many I have left and if I should eat more carbs, fat or protein for my next meal or snack.

Today, I've had 699 calories, 69 grams of carbs, 32 grams of fat and 40 grams of protein. I'll have a dinner with lots of veggies, a little carbs, substantial protein and moderate fat. That should get me close to 40-30-30.

I love using an online food journal - it has kept me acountable better than anything else I've tried.

Sounds like your life has been busy and wild!

Jestgar Rising Star

Hi Liz and everyone

I've decided that "losing weight" is way too much stress for me so I've come up with an approach that I think will work better for me.

Diet:

I have so many restrictions that I'm not going to worry about what I'm eating right now, except to limit chocolate to once a week ;)

Fitness:

Moderate exercise 30 min. a day, seven days a week. This should be completely doable.

High level exercise 3 days a week. This one's harder. I need to find a class near where I work.

Stretching 3 days a week. Could be class, or maybe I can find a good DVD for home.

I'll check out that website. Thanks for posting that.

Jess

little d Enthusiast

Hi ladies

I really have not posted in quite a while and Yes I want to help revive this thread, I love it. I really need to be alittle more accountable for my eating. I have gained a couple of pounds I am now 148ish. I know in the past I have been really good at posting my meals. When I get back from Oklahoma, my husbands grandmother passed away this morning (Saturday morning) so it will be interesting in the food that I will be able to eat, and I have been trying really hard.

donna

Hummingbird4 Explorer

Hello! I'd like to join your accountability thread. I have been gluten-free for almost 8 weeks now -- and starting tomorrow I'm going low-carb. I have been substituting too many gluten-free goodies in place of what I used to eat, and have been gaining weight on top of the weight I already needed to lose. I've done most of my whining/feeling sorry for myself, and now I need to get to work and take this weight off. No time like the present! B)

My goal is to drop 20 lbs., and my husband wants to drop 40 so he's doing it with me. I walk 3.5 miles (hills) 2 times a week, and play tennis about 3 times a week. I will add some more exercise in a couple of weeks. (I know from past experience doing low-carb that my energy level might be a little low for the first 2 weeks.)

I am a daily weigher. I find it easier to stick to a diet if I weigh myself each morning on an empty stomach.

So... see you tomorrow morning for my weigh-in!

lonewolf Collaborator

Welcome Hummingbird! I'm a daily weigher too, although I only write it down and "count" it on Mondays. I hope we can help you out. I'm doing moderately low carb - trying to stick to around 100g of carbs a day. Maybe we can exchange low carb meal and snack ideas.

Donna, good to see you here again!

I'm still motivated and am starting to tell that my clothes fit a little looser. This helps to keep my motivation up, so hopefully I'm in an upward spiral.

Hummingbird4 Explorer

Good morning. I like the idea of weighing daily but only "counting" it one day a week. Since day 1 is a Monday, I'll post my Monday weight.

131 (I am 5'2")

I said yesterday that I'd like to lose 20 lbs, but the reality is that I'd be happy with 10 and thrilled with 15. So we'll start with 10. :P

For breakfast I'm having eggs, ham, and fruit. For lunch I'm going to have chicken salad in a half-pepper. Don't know about dinner yet, probably some sort of meat and salad. Snacks will likely be string cheese, almonds, and carrots with hummus. I work part-time, and am not working today, so I have plenty of free time to do some meal-planning and organizing.

Have a great Monday!

UR Groovy Explorer

Hi everybody & Welcome Hummingbird - glad you're here,

So, I've signed up for spark people dot com. It looks pretty great. I definitely like how the nutrition counter works and I like the goal setting - looks pretty comprehensive. Thanks Liz for recommending it.

I just stopped by to weigh in - I did pretty well this weekend. I'm 171 today. Man, how did I get to the point where I need to lose 20 lbs? That's crazy.

k

lonewolf Collaborator

Weigh in day! I'm at 168 today - a bit higher than where I wanted to be, but oh well. I enjoyed my "free day" over the weekend by eating pancakes for breakfast and having some gluten-free scones too. I think I'm retaining a bit of water because I was only 167 on Saturday morning. Hopefully more will come off for next week. I have 13 pounds to go by Nov. 17th, which is still less than 2 pounds per week. (Believe it or not, 155 is a pretty good weight for me at 5' 7". Eventually I'd like to get back to 145, which was my HS and college weight.)

Kat, I'm glad you like spark people dot com. It's really helped me out a lot.

Hummingbird - you must have a tiny frame to go with your height. I'm glad you're here and hope you have success!

I hope everyone else who's lurking here gets motivated and has a good week!

Hummingbird4 Explorer

Good morning! Down half a pound this morning. Yesterday for breakfast I had a small omelet with mushrooms, a slice of ham, and fresh tomatoes. Morning snack was almonds. Lunch was cottage cheese and black cherries (Trader Joe's has the BEST frozen black cherries with nothing added - they are so sweet). Afternoon snack of carrots and hummus. Dinner was a large green salad topped with chicken, red peppers, and cheddar cheese. One glass of white wine. More carrots and hummus for my evening snack.

So you can see I am not super-duper low-carb. Not counting carbs either, but I estimate that I was somewhere under 50-75g yesterday. I did some research yesterday on the SCD and the Paleo plans, but for now I think I'll just stick with this - it's less restrictive anyway.

No exercise yesterday, but this morning I briskly-walked 3.5 miles, and I will also be playing tennis later today.

Liz -- how did you choose November 17 for your goal date?

Happy Tuesday!

lonewolf Collaborator
Liz -- how did you choose November 17 for your goal date?

I coach high school basketball and that's the first day of practice!

UR Groovy Explorer

Hi,

I noticed when I woke up today, I felt thinner. Maybe I had some PMS water retention going on a couple days ago, and I've been paying closer attention to my diet. I'm 169 now. That's a little easier to swallow than 172. I'm setting a specific short-term goal of 160 by November 1. I think I can do it. I'm going to challenge myself.

Take care, eat well,

k

little d Enthusiast

Hi Ladies

I really have not been able to follow my diet since Monday because we had to go out of town for a funeral for my husbands grandmother. I tried to eat what I could that I thought would be good for me. Before we left I had mad some gluten-free brownies and I pretty much ate those until we came back.

I did weigh myself before we left and I was 148lbs.

Happy eating Ladies

donna

Jestgar Rising Star

This was my first week back at work, so working on establishing my routine. Did aerobics twice, walked at least 50 minutes (in sections) every day. Woke up late this morning so no aerobics, but I'll try to climb the stairs a few times at work.

Love the sparks people site. Really makes you aware of what you're eating (kinda scary, actually). Never realized what an impact "just a handful" of potato chips has on my daily numbers.

lonewolf Collaborator

Ah, here I am at 168 again. And I had a good week. Worked out 4 times and went for a nice (3 miles?) walk yesterday in place of my normal workout. (Plus some pushups and another 15 minute walk with my hubby right before bed.) And I was very careful about what I ate- weighing, measuring and counting every morsel that went into my mouth and recording it on spark people dot com.

So I guess that I maintain my weight on 1100-1200 calories per day with one day closer to 1800. I feel pretty frustrated - I can't go any lower with my calories and I'm already working out hard enough to work up a good sweat for 30-60 minutes 4-5 days a week PLUS teaching PE twice a week. In the past 3 weeks I've only lost 2 pounds and I have honestly only "cheated" on my 3 planned "free" days, where I didn't go much over 1800 calories on any of those days.

As of this morning I'm starting twice a day workouts to see if I can budge that weight. I'm thinking that 13 pounds in 7 weeks isn't going to happen at this point, but I'd like to see how much I can lose.

I hope others are having better luck than I am!

Archived