This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A New Weight Loss Support/accountability Thread

lonewolf

Darn210 Enthusiast

I'm going to join you all . . . have watched this thread off and on and have also watched my weight creep up and up. As of today, I have about 25 pounds to lose . I like the once a week weigh-in so I will do that also. I did weight watchers about 9 years ago and took off about 20 pounds and immediately got pregnant . . . haven't seen that "goal weight" since. In fact the 25 pounds won't get me to where I was then but it will get me to a weight that I think I can maintain. I seem to do better if I tell more people - helps me to "just say no".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
maile Newbie

Reporting in, no change this week but I also came down with sinus infection #3 (all in the last 6 weeks) and finally got some antibiotics for it.

I did start to revamp my diet a couple of days ago then found out today, after 2 days of consuming it, that my protein powder has gluten in it, so I'm going to re think my strategy this weekend.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I'm checking in. Down 2 lbs this morning. I switched to honey in the evening for my tea instead of sugar. That's seems better for me but...starting that familier itch so I'm gloing to have to stop that. I'm going to buy some agave nectar today. It works just as well and seems to do well with my system.

I didn't have any alternate flours this week except my usual corn. That's not true I had a few Tinkyada noodles and they seemed to be ok. Didn't send my send weight up, one of my indicators that a food is not well digested for me.

This is Valentine week in my flower shop so I should be busy. I know it's a tough year but I'm hoping for the best. Any way that means I need to sure I precook a lot of food this weekend so I don't eat junk.

Happy Valentine's, everyone!!

Hummingbird4 Explorer
I did start to revamp my diet a couple of days ago then found out today, after 2 days of consuming it, that my protein powder has gluten in it, so I'm going to re think my strategy this weekend.

I also found out this week that the yogurt I've been eating on a daily basis is not gluten free. Grrr!

Hummingbird4 Explorer

Rachelle -- the ABS diet sounds like a great plan. There is plenty of info online about it too, which is nice. It also looks to be very compatible with gluten-free. I made up some menus and a grocery list, and am going to try it starting Monday, my regular grocery shopping day. My cheat meal next week will be on Valentine's Day. We're going out for dinner, found a place in Beaverton that has a special Valentine's menu (including gluten-free offerings) plus music.

Is your husband doing it too? I told mine about it and he says he is on board. It looks like the key to this diet is planning ahead, especially on work days!

Thanks for the info -- will let you know how it goes.

Hummingbird4 Explorer

Hello! Anybody checking in? I've been doing the ABS diet quite religiously all week and have lost a whopping 1/2 pound. Oh well. I feel like I am eating really healthy, and don't feel like I am on a "diet," don't feel like I am missing out on food. So I'll stick with it for a while. Cheat meal is tomorrow night for Valentine's Day.

At this point, I have 11 pounds to lose.

maile Newbie

yep, still checking in, I'm down just over 2lbs this week, about 15 more to go.

I'm off the anti-biotics now and have been really hungry all week. but so far have it under control.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I'm down 3-total, am even for this week-but my back slipped out again on Monday, so I haven't been able to work out this week at all. I can start again on the treadmill tomorrow...

Hello! Anybody checking in? I've been doing the ABS diet quite religiously all week and have lost a whopping 1/2 pound. Oh well. I feel like I am eating really healthy, and don't feel like I am on a "diet," don't feel like I am missing out on food. So I'll stick with it for a while. Cheat meal is tomorrow night for Valentine's Day.

At this point, I have 11 pounds to lose.

Make sure if you're using the recipes online that you're reducing the portions--they are for men. The women's plan has the same recipes, just smaller portions. Some of the recipes online have 600cal per portion!! Women's should be about 1/2 that. I try for 3 meals with about 350 cal each and 3 snacks of 200cal each= ~1650cal per day which is good for me-may be too high or too low for others.

Darn210 Enthusiast
I'm down 3-total, am even for this week-but my back slipped out again on Monday, so I haven't been able to work out this week at all. I can start again on the treadmill tomorrow...

Ouch!!! . . . I've got one of those . . . not right now, but you never know when <_<

I'm even for the week and I'll take it!! Two-day family birthday celebration involved so . . . whew . . . happy to be even.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I think I'm down about 1/2 pound. Had a busy week at the shop with Valentine's Day and also had some off days. Not feeling too well. Yesterday I woke up feeling amazing! Can't really figure it out...

Oh well, I'll take the weight loss no matter what! Hope your Valentine's was fun!

Joni63 Collaborator

Hey Everyone,

I just stopped by and read back a part of this thread! Sounds like most of you are doing great on your diets!

GREAT JOB Lonewolf! You have really done well!

Celiac mommy, I too bought the ABS diet book, just before Christmas. I started it the first of the year and have lost 8 lbs! It's so easy and I honestly don't have the cravings I used to. Like you said, a lot of the information was common sense. And the best part about it is that I'm starting to feel really great. My head is clearer than it's ever been and I have so much more energy.

I love that there is no keeping track of calories, fat grams, etc. It's just good healthy food and avoiding the bad stuff.

Keep up the great work everyone. 7lbs to go for goal!

Joni

Hey Everyone,

I just stopped by and read back a part of this thread! Sounds like most of you are doing great on your diets!

GREAT JOB Lonewolf! You have really done well!

Celiac mommy, I too bought the ABS diet book, just before Christmas. I started it the first of the year and have lost 8 lbs! It's so easy and I honestly don't have the cravings I used to. Like you said, a lot of the information was common sense. And the best part about it is that I'm starting to feel really great. My head is clearer than it's ever been and I have so much more energy.

I love that there is no keeping track of calories, fat grams, etc. It's just good healthy food and avoiding the bad stuff.

Keep up the great work everyone. 7lbs to go for goal!

Joni

Awesome!! I love it too. I'm only down about 0.5# this week, but between Valentine's day and my birthday-I'll take it. Starting over on Monday ;-) My muscle tone is increasing with makes me happy. I had to quit Krav Maga (which breaks my heart) because of the back problems, so I've been running, doing pilates and weight training instead. I need to get more sleep though!!! Have a great week everyone!

Darn210 Enthusiast

Day late reporting in . . . down 1.5 pounds this week . . . yay . . . but trouble ahead on the schedule - a little test of my will-power-cupcakes are involved :ph34r:

ang1e0251 Contributor

Look out for cupcakes!! I stumbled through Valentine's week, had some flu symtoms and lost 1/2 pound. Since I didn't really try, I felt good about that. Gotta go. My Mom wants me to buy and send her her favorite bread to AZ today!!

Dasmith Rookie

Well...count me in :)

I would like to lose about 35lbs. I have lost 6lbs since starting gluten free about 6 weeks ago...so it looks like I am losing about a 1lb a week...which I am okay with since I feel that this is probably a healthy way to lose.

I am going to chose a weigh in day....I am thinking Wednesday's, so I will start that in the morning (tomorrow).

I have eaten so far today.....

B: A gluten free granola bar (140 calories)

L: 2 slices of bacon, scrambled eggs, and about 1/2 cup hash browns (300 calories)

S: Jello Pudding Cup (110 calories)

Total so far today: 550 calories

Not sure what I will be doing for dinner tonight but will keep in mind that I only have 650 calories left for today (don't want to excede 1200 calories a day, but will try to be a little under that a day).

Today has been a pretty unhealthy day of eating so I will do better tomorrow :)

Thanks for the thread and support, hope everyone has a great day!

Well...count me in :)

I would like to lose about 35lbs. I have lost 6lbs since starting gluten free about 6 weeks ago...so it looks like I am losing about a 1lb a week...which I am okay with since I feel that this is probably a healthy way to lose.

I am going to chose a weigh in day....I am thinking Wednesday's, so I will start that in the morning (tomorrow).

I have eaten so far today.....

B: A gluten free granola bar (140 calories)

L: 2 slices of bacon, scrambled eggs, and about 1/2 cup hash browns (300 calories)

S: Jello Pudding Cup (110 calories)

Total so far today: 550 calories

Not sure what I will be doing for dinner tonight but will keep in mind that I only have 650 calories left for today (don't want to excede 1200 calories a day, but will try to be a little under that a day).

Today has been a pretty unhealthy day of eating so I will do better tomorrow :)

Thanks for the thread and support, hope everyone has a great day!

Are you exercising? Do you know what your basal metabolic rate is? 1200 calories may be too low...

• 2 weeks later...
Rachel Keating Rookie

Hi everyone. I just joined the Celiac Forum and am looking for lots of support and DEFINITELY accountability. So this looked perfect for me. I've had Celiac Disease for 5 years and have never followed the diet. I have been dealing with the affects for about a year and a half now, and I am only 20 years old. I used to weigh 160 and now I weigh 260. That is very scary to admit. But I guess that's the first step to accountability? I have Metabolic Syndrome and need to take Vitamin D, and am horrified that if I don't change now I will be dealing with even greater issues than a 20 year old should have to deal with health-wise. I hope your guys' support will help me stay on track. I am definitely ready for change.

little d Enthusiast

Hello ladies

I have been really bad, I have not posted anything on the site since November. When I last posted in November I believe that I was weighing in at 147 or 148ish well I have not done too good on my diet and gained and now up to 153 but kinda in my defence when I was weighed last I had jeans and jacket on I was getting a basic physical for working a temp agency, but I have also not stuck to my gluten-free diet so much either so I figured I needed to come back here and be accountable for my meals and what I am doing. Just a little about myself for the new ladies, I have been tested for Celiac but nothing was found becuase I was gluten free before testing and I feel much better with eating gluten free, so I try and follow the diet as much as possible and dinners that I make are mostly gluten free and sometimes they like it sometimes not.

So here we go:

Monday

B- coffee

srambled egg with ham on brownrice tortilla

D- 2 chicken quasadilla with brownrice tortilla

2 glasses of Tea

Tuesday

B- 2 cinnamon sugar toast

milk

coffee

Tea

ang1e0251 Contributor

Hey, everybody!

I got a little behind. One week my Yahoo was down off and on and last week I was scrambling to get ready for a Bridal/Prom Show so I didn't have a spare moment.

I have not lost any weight the last two weeks so I have maintaned my 3 pound loss. I just haven't focussed well. Financial problems have been really stressing me and I admit to eating comfort food in those situations. Maintaning the weight loss is a plus for me the way I have been eating. I'm hoping we will see an improvement in that situation and I can focus again.

I want to welcome Rachel to the forum. You know I think if you really committ yourself to gluten-free eating, you will have an easier time with weight. What is your diet like now? I know if I eat too much alternate grain, the old scales seems to fly up. If I'm glutened, it just seems to jump up by leaps and bounds. It can be discouraging. But if I eat well and avoid those pitfalls, the weight will creep down little by little. We are your weight buddies so feel free to tell us your problems with food, questions, venting and, of course, successes!

Rachel Keating Rookie

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum smile.gif My diet right now is whatever I can see haha sad but true. I eat a lot of Noodles & Company (not with rice noodles, i mean the 100% NOT gluten free noodles). I also work at a nursing home and we eat the same food the residents do, which is obviously not gluten free either. It's hard to not be lazy and actually make myself a dinner before I go to work because I'm so busy with work and school. But hey, my health should be first on the priority list right? AH!

Hummingbird4 Explorer

Hello! It's been a while since I've posted here. Lately I've been losing weight the old-fashioned way, by counting calories. It works, imagine that! I'm limiting myself to 1200-1300 calories a day, writing EVERYTHING down, and exercising 3-4 days a week. I eat 3 small meals and 3 small snacks (ABS diet style). I've lost 5 pounds so far. I'm sure some of it is water, plus I started out at a higher weight than normal, but it feels good to be on a downward trend -- FINALLY. I've got 9 to go to reach my goal. I expect that will take another couple of months, but that's OK.

• 2 weeks later...
Rebecca's mom Rookie

Oops! Read next post....

Rebecca's mom Rookie

I'm new to this thread, but I have been gluten-free for almost a year now. I have lost 38 pounds (of 150 needed to lose) while eating high-fat foods and not bothering to count calories or measure portions. I had the great good fortune to run across a couple of books and Internet articles which reinforced the "Atkins" - type results. I think that gluten-free is actually a less restrictive low-carb diet.

What these books and articles stated (which has, amazingly enough, been confirmed by medical research, but you'll NEVER see that anywhere......) is that as long as we eat lots of fat, we won't overeat. We need to get away from worrying about calories and portions! Believe me, before I found out that gluten-free worked for me (I tested negative for celiac disease, but realized that I have DH, and my genetic test came back positive for the celiac disease Gene just this week), I had tried just about every diet out there!

One of my daughters has been so impressed with my results that she took it upon herself to start eating gluten-free whenever she is away from home (she's 16), because she wanted to lose weight! She has been THRILLED with the results, and she feels a lot better, too. Now if I could only convince the 17- and 22-year-old to get on board (the house is gluten-free, but I have no control over the outside world).....

Incidentally, if you eat more fat, you will find that your muscle mass increases naturally and you lose more weight. I told my husband when I started on gluten-free that I was going to "conduct a scientific experiment". Since I could only have one "variable" in order to validate my theory, I made sure that the ONLY change that I made was to eliminate gluten from my diet. I still drink Cokes, and I don't exercise. Honestly, I'm doing it for science! (At least, that's what I tell him....) So far, so good!

Teresa Koch

Fort Worth, Texas

Lady Donna Newbie

Hi! I just joined this forum a few days ago. In talking to my daughter today, the wedding is in about 11 months and both of us want to loose some weight. It is sad but we both weigh....(glup) 215. Didn't someone say accountability?

I started a food dairy but I am not sure how I am going to excersise. I have a bad back and am considered disabled. I have some ideas, so am going to work on it.

It will also be easier once I feel better, ate some gluten and when that happens, the only thing I can eat is toast.

It will be nice to share and get some support from others who know!!

Archived