This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A New Weight Loss Support/accountability Thread

lonewolf

Guest Keating823

and the record continues!!! I have been gluten-free for a little over 2 weeks. I feel GREAT! :) Now that I have been gluten-free for 2 weeks and I go to a friends house... I'm not as tempted to eat gluten. I just don't want to ruin how good I feel. It is already so much easier and it's only been 2 weeks! Woo! However, because I've been so proud of myself with eating gluten-free, I haven't really cared at all to worry about my weight. So, I haven't lost any. But that will just have to change.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lonewolf Collaborator

Way to go Keating823! I'm glad you're feeling better. You can worry about will-power and weight loss later - after you've gotten the gluten-free thing down.

I had an okay day today.

B - 3 pieces turkey bacon

S - large serving of homemade blackberry cobbler (oops!)

L - salad with chopped chicken and Caesar dressing, slice of deli turkey, handful of carrots

S - big slice of watermelon, handful of carrots

D - taco salad with gr. turkey, salsa, guacamole, sour cream and 1 corn tortilla

Mango04 Enthusiast
and the record continues!!! I have been gluten-free for a little over 2 weeks. I feel GREAT! :) Now that I have been gluten-free for 2 weeks and I go to a friends house... I'm not as tempted to eat gluten. I just don't want to ruin how good I feel. It is already so much easier and it's only been 2 weeks! Woo! However, because I've been so proud of myself with eating gluten-free, I haven't really cared at all to worry about my weight. So, I haven't lost any. But that will just have to change.

Awesome! Don't even worry about the weight thing yet. I bet some of the weight will just fall off naturally as you continue to eat gluten-free :)

Jestgar Rising Star
However, because I've been so proud of myself with eating gluten-free, I haven't really cared at all to worry about my weight. So, I haven't lost any. But that will just have to change.

WoooHooo!!

Keep at it! And I agree with Mango, you may find that your body stops needing to stuff itself because you are no longer starving it.

And just as a heads up, when I went gluten-free, for the first month or so I was absolutely starving. If this is the case for you as well, give in to it, but choose healthy foods as much as possible. I ate a lot of protein and chocolate (hey! it's good for your blood pressure). And after I had replenished some of my deficiencies I lost 20 pounds or so without changing anything else.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hi guys,

I hope, I am still welcome to jump in here. This is an awesome thread. I just read everything in one shot :lol: . I had a bad conscions reading it all, cause I have a ton to do, but at least I got some of my needle canvas for the projects for Lukas new nursery done, while reading it :D .

OK, as some of you know, I'm pregnant... still <_< . My pre-pregnancy weight before pregnancy was 109 / 110 lb. Now I have about 140 lb and I'm 5'2". I don't think, I will have lost all of that right after giving birth, so my goal is to get my pre-pregnancy weight back. The only problem is, that I'm breastfeeding and I don't really want to loose weight on purpose, because my baby and my own body might suffer. And I've read, when you diet, while you breastfeed, there might be certain nutrients lacking in your milk and you could starve your baby. But luckily I'm also a personal trainer. So nothing is impossible and here's my plan (I already used it before, when I had to loose about 14 / 15 pounds and lost about 22 pounds in the end... lol):

Since your body can't handle meals over 300 calories in one shot very well, I'm planning on sticking to the 300 calories at the most in 3 hours guideline. Your body needs about 3 hours to digest these 300 calories first, before working on the next 300. With that I can eat what I want, however I'm not allowed to go over 300 calories in 3 hours. And I have to watch my fat intake. There are little things here and there you have to pay attention to as well, but that would be too much and confusing to say right here. Let me just say, I'm sticking to enough fruits and veggies throughout the day (or at least I try to) and that's it for me right now.

I have to have the 110 pounds (or under) by approximately the end of May next year, because that's around the time, when we have the next qualifying tournament for the World Championships in the US next year. And especially when it's in the US AND in Disney World, I don't want to cut my little rugrat short of missing THIS experience with mommy :lol: . And who knows, maybe the first podestal that HE is on will be at a World Championship. You bet your booty, that I'm taking that little guy with me on the podestal, if I win something. That would be awesome :lol: . Once I reached my 110 lb goal, I'm leaving you guys again to continue on my tournament diary (which I'm probably having or starting the same time). So I have enough goals at the moment, that I want to reach. I just need somebody to kick my butt, if I'm getting weak, and that's where you guys come in :P .

This will be an entire new challenge, cause I've been insanely busy before. And now with a new baby at home and getting the hang of new tasks it will be even more challenging.

My exercise plan for the beginning of course is a little lighter than usual, cause I will have to recover from birth first. So I will "only" do some minutes every day in each division I'm trying to qualify in. I have 6 divisions in total.

And my time plan is first week light workout, more like a going over the routines (especially my forms... floor routines) than anything. Then the second week beginning to work on conditioning first and then really getting into it.

By the Qualifier next year I want to have 110 lb and once I reached that, I won't bother you anymore anyway... lol. Then I just keep on working out until the Worlds (if I can qualify) in November in Disney World.

So, I hope, even if I'm a fanatic exerciser, I'm still welcome here, because one of my main goals also is to loose weight.

Congratulations to all of you that already lost weight and keep going to everybody who's still planing to do so. It's not easy, especially when you get into the lighter pounds, cause you can't loose much anymore, but I'm sure you are all doing it.

lonewolf Collaborator

Hi Stef and welcome! We'd love to have you here, so jump right on in whenever you want. I hope your last little bit of pregnancy goes well.

little d Enthusiast

HI Stef

Just to let you know that when I had my baby 8 yrs ago I gained only 12lbs and after she was born I lost 18 I breast fed and lost even more weight, I made the mistake of not taking my prenatals and water intake I stopped because I did not want it anymore the water I craved it while pregnate, I dried up a little because of that I believe so I started eating more food high in calories thinking that was my problem andgained alot within the first 6 months all the weight that I just lost right back on. Little did I know that is was gluten that was causing the weight and everything else that I got from it. But you are off to a better start now because you have a goal, your in shape, and you know what foods are good for you. Yes your breastmilk will be in abundence, you'll be pumping 8oz or more because you are in such good shape. Hope that you have a safe and happy birth, natural all the way.

donna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I already gained 30 lb with this pregnancy. OK... around 30 lb. At one appointment at the doc's office I had 140 lb exactly. Then a few days later I had 141 lb and now I'm back to 139 lb. So, I don't think all of this will come off right after birth. So, I might be here for a while... lol.

Donna, I think, you're right with the milk. In fact, tonight I had milk (a lot of milk) coming out. I found it, when I changed my bra, it was all wet and such :rolleyes: . Before that I always only had to clean some dried crumbs off, and then only from the left breast, nothing worth mentioning, but tonight it really was a lot and from both breasts. And baby isn't even here yet :rolleyes: .

lonewolf Collaborator

Hi all. I did okay yesterday except for eating a bunch of licorice that I found at a discount store. I was so surprised to see "wheat free/gluten free" on the label and have missed licorice, so I bought it without thinking of my diet. I ate too much :ph34r: . Other than that, except for two peanut butter cookies :unsure: , here's what I ate.

B - spoonful of almond butter and about 2 Tbs raisins

S - handful of blueberries right off the bush

L - chicken salad with guacamole and salsa (and the two cookies)

S - the licorice

D - turkey burger on 2/3 of an Ener-G bun, lettuce, ketchup, mustard and pickles, 1/3 C baked beans, 5-6 tortilla chips, large handful of carrot sticks

confused Community Regular

I weighed in today at 153, im happy with the 2 pound loss this week. Once i hit 150, i hav emade it my first goal, im not sure if i will try to get less then that. Im little short of 5^8 so i will be healthy at 150, but i know i will still work on my stomach inches, cause im not yet to the 32 inch goal i set for that lol

paula

little d Enthusiast
I already gained 30 lb with this pregnancy. OK... around 30 lb. At one appointment at the doc's office I had 140 lb exactly. Then a few days later I had 141 lb and now I'm back to 139 lb. So, I don't think all of this will come off right after birth. So, I might be here for a while... lol.

Donna, I think, you're right with the milk. In fact, tonight I had milk (a lot of milk) coming out. I found it, when I changed my bra, it was all wet and such :rolleyes: . Before that I always only had to clean some dried crumbs off, and then only from the left breast, nothing worth mentioning, but tonight it really was a lot and from both breasts. And baby isn't even here yet :rolleyes: .

Stef I leaked colosterum my whole preganacy, not alot but enough to notice.

I have had a crazy weekend, I did weighed myself and I am now 148lbs but that is before my daughters birthday she is 8yrs old on sunday, I have my food jernal at home and I can't remember what I had on friday I know that it was gluten-free

Saturday

b- gluten-free maple buckwheat flakes with milk

coffee

L- gluten-free sandwiche with ham, cheese

DDP

birthday party just a little bit of birthday Red Velvet, I did not want to have to explain why I did not want to eat my daughters birthday cake so I ate 2 bits and set the rest down.

Did not eat anything at the Water park that we went to. This is when the rest goes crazy I want going to eat something that was ok for me until we got home and all the power was out, 8 houses on our block no power so we are assuming we were part of a Rolling Blackout. So we ordered Pizza and went back over to my inlaws I did have Pizza 4 slices it was good but I got really tired after. Our power finally came back on aroung 11pm we took our daughter and her best friend that was staying to night back to our house at 12am after the movies were over.

Sunday

B - Apple fritter

coffee

D Might as well I kept up with my gluten fest

9 jalopenos peppers

Red Velvet cake the whole piece this time

ddp

water

this morning I had a very hard time waking up with my husband, after he left for work I went right back to sleep and not very motivated all day

Today back on track with gluten-free

B- coffee

gluten-free maple buckwheat flakes with milk

D gluten-free chicken casadillas

ddp

I am working tonight and I did not bring my food so I'm hopping that I can find something good. So after my gluten fest this weekend no telling what I weight now.

donna

Guest Keating823

well i'm still gluten-free... i've kind of lost track which i think is a good sign lol and i'm really proud of myself because i babysat for my neice for 10 hours in my brother's apartment which had like no gluten-free food and a REALLY good looking leftover dominos pizza in the fridge but i didn't touch it! yes, i opened the box and smelled it haha i wanted to know what kind it was! (how pathetic hahaha) anyways, i lost a total of two pounds hahah so now i went from 260 to 258. probably just water weight and depended on the time of day i weighed. but hey, i'll take it!

KathleenAUS Newbie

Hello,

I'm from Australia... and this is the first time I have ever been on a discussion board / forum about anything! But like many of you I am totally frustrated with my weight at the moment. Here is the abbreviated version of my story:

Have always been an enormous eater, was slightly overweight when growing up but never obese - I averaged a size 12/14 Australian (which I think is a 8-10 in the US). I weighed 77kg (I think that's 170 pounds) in my early 20s, dieted and exercised for a year and got down to 64kg (140 Ibs). Then about six months ago I was diagnosed with coeliac disease (that's how we spell it in Australia) and I have regained all that weight plus a bit more... I'm so devastated, especially since I didn't even have any of the conventional syptoms of coeliac disease to start with!

So here I am... I've been exercising and eating relatively well for the last two weeks in an effort to start to lose some of this weight.. hopefully I can lose 15kgs (33Ibs) by summer (that's December here... so time's a ticking!)

I guess I'm not here for advice (though I will take any I can get), mostly for support and to vent my spleen every now and then... Nobody told me this would happen on a gluten-free diet!! ARGHHHH!!!!

Kathleen :)

lonewolf Collaborator

Welcome Kathleen! I'm glad you're here. None of us have kept up very well in the past few weeks, so maybe you'll inspire us to get back on track. Feel free to jump right on in.

Keating823 - Great job with the gluten free! Sounds like your weight is starting to head the right direction, so keep up the good work!

It's my anniversary today and I'm not dieting. Will try to get back on track tomorrow.

What in the living daylight??? I gained 7 lb in one week. Last Wednesday I had 141 on doc's weight machine. One day later 138 lb. And at yesterday's doc appointment I had 145 lb. I can't believe it. Must have been all that strawberry tart. I hope I'm getting rid of that one after the birth...

little d Enthusiast
What in the living daylight??? I gained 7 lb in one week. Last Wednesday I had 141 on doc's weight machine. One day later 138 lb. And at yesterday's doc appointment I had 145 lb. I can't believe it. Must have been all that strawberry tart. I hope I'm getting rid of that one after the birth...

Stef

don't worry your aloud to gain weight, you might be watching what you eat, but you tend to gain some when you are having a boy. All your weight will come right off after he is born because you will be breast feeding and he will be a champ at it, your in great shape (I'm jelous) and you have a goal. If your doctor does not yell at you then you are doing great.

donna

lonewolf Collaborator

Stef - don't worry about the weight. It just happens when you're pregnant. I'm sure you'll lose it quickly afterwards, but don't worry if it doesn't come off right away. Some people are really lucky in that they lose weight right away when they're breastfeeding. Others, like me, didn't lose it right away. It will come off if you work hard at it. I remember getting weighed right before having my 3rd baby. The next day I only weighed one pound less and I'd had a 7 lb 12 oz baby! I was horrified, but the nurse just laughed. I lost about 8 pounds the next day.

I did get back on track today! And I worked out.

B - Chicken sausage, handful of grapes

L - chicken and pistachio salad at Nordstrom Cafe

S - nectarine

D - about 1 C rice and 6 meatballs in salsa/cranberry sauce, salad with Italian dressing

S - nectarine

little d Enthusiast

Hi all

I am back on track as well at least for eating Gluten free that is.

Wednesday

I worked so I was up at 2pm

coffee at 4pm

D - Spegetti with gluten-free noodles with cheese

DDP

Thursday

B- 2 Vann gluten-free waffles

Lactaid Milk

Coffee

snack 1 gluten-free toast I was hungry before Dinner

D - Meatloaf with gluten-free bread crumbs

Mash potatoes

peas :(

Tea 3 glasses total

water

I am working tonight so I am having left over Meatloaf but no Peas :D My husband and daughter love the things I only eat just a few to show my daughter that I can eat them

I am still at 148 lbs down from 160lbs at my starting weight. Depending on the scale that I am using at work I have to calabrate the scale and zero it out, if I go to Sears at the Mall the scale that I put a quater to see my weight is my freind right now B) , the scale here at work last time I weighed myself put me at 151lbs. But I can see a differance in my body I am looking a little skinner so I can imagine that I am at 148lbs my boobs are lighter :D but they are getting saggier :( it is always the boobs to go first :angry: My husband has not noticed yet only because as soon as he gets home from work I have to go to work, or he gets home so late because of mandator ot :) he is too tired to do anything well sort of. B)

donna

Hi donna, two things, well, one is more like a question?!? Vann Waffles are glutenfree? Maybe I'm confusing them with a brand we had in Germany. But in Germany they are not glutenfree. Might be that they are over here. I've never heard of it though, so I thought I better ask...

The second thing is (I learnt personal trainer, so I fill you in): The organs that are close to your lungs / heart will loose fat first, because of the better oxygen supply. This means, your boobs will shrink first. Because of this a lot of women are in a vicious cycle. They think they loose weight at the wrong spot and then stop loosing weight, only to pack on more at the "wrong" spots again. This however is completely normal. If you keep on going, your other body parts will keep up with it after a while and later on it looks normal again compared to your other body.

little d Enthusiast
Hi donna, two things, well, one is more like a question?!? Vann Waffles are glutenfree? Maybe I'm confusing them with a brand we had in Germany. But in Germany they are not glutenfree. Might be that they are over here. I've never heard of it though, so I thought I better ask...

The second thing is (I learnt personal trainer, so I fill you in): The organs that are close to your lungs / heart will loose fat first, because of the better oxygen supply. This means, your boobs will shrink first. Because of this a lot of women are in a vicious cycle. They think they loose weight at the wrong spot and then stop loosing weight, only to pack on more at the "wrong" spots again. This however is completely normal. If you keep on going, your other body parts will keep up with it after a while and later on it looks normal again compared to your other body.

Unfortunatly my hips are the last to lose anything. The Vann Waffles which I can no longer get at walmart are gluten free but not the blueberry or the other flavors, just the plain waffles are gluten-free.

I worked Thursday night so...

friday up at 10am, 11, 12, 1pm and then i just stayed up for the rest of the day, My daughter wanted to stay home from day care I did not get much sleep

Coffee @1pm

1/2 DDP while out

D- Rice crakers, with ham and cheese

1/2 DDP

water

Saturday

B - gluten-free pancakes

Coffee

L - Baked potato, and chicken from Spring Creek BBQ Rest. Family get together for my husbands GrandFather who is 81 yrs young, we had family pictures done before hand.

I am working tonight so I have not a clue as to what I am going to eat I did not pack my lunch because I had planned of stopping at the store and getting an Amy's dinner but i was afraid of being late to work.

donna

lonewolf Collaborator

Didn't have a chance to post here yesterday. I weighed in at 163-1/2. Way more than I'd like to weigh, but at least it's coming back down after my camping trip and a few weeks of not being careful.

Kaycee Collaborator

Hi, I am back again, for how long I don't know. I have been ultra busy, adding more tasks to my already busy work life. Buy enjoying the challenges.

I have lost a little weight, very slowly, so hopefully, it will keep going down.

Stef, you mentioned a while back, 300 calories every three hours. This makes sense to me, but I think I would find it hard to have only 300 calories at tea time. I have been trying 300 cals for breakfast, 400 for lunch and 500 for tea. It does work, as long as I do the exercise as well.

Cathy

little d Enthusiast
Didn't have a chance to post here yesterday. I weighed in at 163-1/2. Way more than I'd like to weigh, but at least it's coming back down after my camping trip and a few weeks of not being careful.

Liz at least you are getting there slowly, I weighed myself on a differant scale yesterday while I was paying my phone bill and there was a scale the kind you put a quater into and I wieghed 150lbs between my work scale that I have to zero out and balance which puts me at 152-153 lbs and the scale at Sears at the Mall 148lbs, 150 lbs is the median of both weights that I get so I am happy with my weight so far, as long as I can eat at home I'm ok. I am still feeling the pizza, birthday cake, and bacon cheese burger from last sunday, Monday; which there was literally nothing to eat that was good here in the hospital, even everybody else who can eat regular food complained, just totally grose, I have been really tired this week, along with C, and finally D tonight but I have managed to do ok other wise. Because I did not stop and get me anything to eat tonight or make anything because of time, I did not want to be late to work, so I had...

A meal that comes with a Hoggie Roll but I choose not to eat the Roll

Chicken, baby carrots and

Real Potato Fries which I think were fried up in cc oil

Coke Zero vanilla

and Fruit (cantolope, honey due melon, grapes, and strawberries) for later when I get the munchies

Water

I think that I can manage the week with good alternative, because I am working the next 2 night and on Wednesday and maybe on Thursday.

donna

Beth41777 Rookie
B)Hello everyone! I will have to read up on the old posts to see what kinds of things you are doing on here and get to know some of you, but this looks like the place for me to be! I am newly diagnosed celiac, newly gluten free and finding the highlight of all this insanity to be that I have lost 4 pounds since the beginning of August. (This I am sure is due to the fact that I can no longer mindlessly eat any thing I feel like.) I am still eating junk food (without gluten of course) but have added more fruits and vegetables into my diet (with more room for improvement, but hey, it's a start!) Looking forward to accountability, support, tips and ideas and most of all meeting people who "get" what it's like to be gluten free. I am 30 years old, 5'6" and as far back as age 14 or 15 I have weighed about 165. The highest I got over the years was about 172, and the lowest was about 10 years ago when I got down to around 135. (I quickly returned to my 160-170 mark though.) Getting back to and staying at 135 is my current long term goal. My weigh in this morning was 156.0 which is the lowest I have been in 2 years!! Also, now that I am gluten free I am looking forward to feeling less lethargic, and being able to exercise! Well that's enough rambling for now... Beth
little d Enthusiast

Hi Beth and welcome

I'm donna I am 36 and my highest weight was 160 and I am only 4'11" so 160 is alot for my little frame, I am currentlly 150lbs, I succeeded last year to lose 14lbs when I started my diet that was in 3 months it feel off quickly. At the end of that three month I then decided to get tested, that was before I understood that being gluten free for 3 months would mess up the results, I did not have any symptoms during that 3 months, so anyway I was negative, I got mad and started to eat gluten again and gaine all the weight back plus some and regained all my symptoms back, D with alternating C, heart and stomach burn with nausea, tired all the time could not concentrate did not want to do anything, did not have the energy to fold the cloths that piled up on the couch at one time they stayed for a good 3 weeks, my husband would get mad at me for letting it get piled up and dishes too. I work 3 nights 12 hrs each night a week at a hostpital, sometimes I will work a 4th night, so yes I know that working nights has compromised my body some and times where I can not eat the foods that I need, so I have been bring my food because the food in the cafeteria usually has glutne filled foods, and if there is chicken which I currently love to eat usually is covered in some kind of sauce. So I do have times there I am forced to eat this food because I did not make my lunch, so those are the times that I regret not bringing anything, because the veggies that are offered in the cafeteria are the groosed, plained veggies ever but sometime you get lucky and thay will be tasty. So not having an offical dignoses is hard because for family It is hard for them to understand that I have a problem with food, and my mom wants me to keep an open mind that I could have a gallbladder issue because we have a family history and not just focus on having an issue with gluten she thinks that is not my problem and yes she could be right but I do respond very well to gluten free and when I do eat gluten I defiantly have a problem. My GI thinks that the damage is hidden and the scopes and pill cam cant get to it or see it and so my next step is to get tested through Enterolab which is costly but I have time for that because I have not been gluten free for a long period of time. So anyway that my story, I do get a little winded as you can tell, and it is still the gluten from last weekend, pizza, b-day cake, what ever else I may have had. So anyway welcome to the board, I hope that you learn alot here I know that I have.

L - 2 eggs, 3 Turky bacon and 2 gluten-free toast with butter

Lactaid milk and coffee

and my meal for tonight will be Chinese food, combination fried rice no sauce on it, and Wonton soup, I think that the noodles are made from Rice if im not mistaken

DDP

donna

Archived