This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Disease And Your Teeth

bloatedntexas

bloatedntexas Rookie

All,

I am wondering if any of you are having the same issue I am. I was recently diagnosed Celiac and never knew my whole life. I am now 28. I took very good care of my teeth, however, no matter what I did, I got cavities. It's as if my teeth are just thin or something. I have read somewhere that Celiac disease can affect your teeth because your body does not absorb vitamins like calcium, etc. My question is, is this true? Do any of you have bad teeth? I am wondering if it's just me! HELP!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Dental enamel defects are quite common in celiacs, due to a lack of proper nutrition reaching the body.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I have stunning enamel, and have only one cavity in 39 years. But so does my grandmother. We don't have such great gums, though.

ptkds Community Regular

Yep, it's common to have weak teeth. My 6 yr old has had cavities in probably every molar in her mouth, despite regular cleanings and sealants. I once broke a molar just biting into a cheesestick from sonic (before I knew I had celiac). However, my dh who doesn't have celiac (at least according to his bloodwork) has HORRIBLE teeth, and he takes really good care of them.

Good luck on your new gluten-free adventure! :P

Joanne11 Apprentice

I had fine teeth as a child, but once I got to college I started getting lots of cavities and could not figure out why. It was also the same times I started having GI symptoms. I had my first dentist appointment about 2 months after going gluten free and there was an huge difference,; no cavitites for the first time in about 7 years and the hygentist had to question the previous notes in my chart because they voiced concerne about my gum/teeth and the condition they were in. My nails are also growing for the first time since I can remember so I think it effects more than we realize.

cmom Contributor

Ditto on the nails!! My nails look better than they have my entire life. This is great since my son is getting married next month and I will have nice nails!!!! :o

tiffjake Enthusiast

I have had terrible experiences with my teeth, my whole life (24 now). I have had one root canal, and one tooth just cracked (and they can't figure out why) so I have a crown on that one. I think it is Celiac related, but who knows for sure. Just my opinion.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluejeangirl Contributor

I've had bad teeth all my life. They're soft and would get cavities all the time starting at a young age. I've had two or three root canals, and three crowns. I even got a cavity in my front tooth.

Gail

bloatedntexas Rookie

Wow! it's great to know that I am not alone on all my dental DRAMA! I never understood why I kept getting cavities when I was taking care of my teeth. I guess soft teeth are a common effect of celiac keeping you from absorbing vitamins. THANK YOU ALL for your input!

tarnalberry Community Regular

another reason for that to happen is to have acidic saliva. it will eat away at the tooth enamel, and also make your teeth much more sensitive. a friend of mine has this issue, and she has sensitive teeth, has gotten cavities plenty, but is *THE* poster child for proper dental hygiene.

Archived