#1 bloatedntexas

bloatedntexas

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:12 AM

All,

I am wondering if any of you are having the same issue I am. I was recently diagnosed Celiac and never knew my whole life. I am now 28. I took very good care of my teeth, however, no matter what I did, I got cavities. It's as if my teeth are just thin or something. I have read somewhere that Celiac disease can affect your teeth because your body does not absorb vitamins like calcium, etc. My question is, is this true? Do any of you have bad teeth? I am wondering if it's just me! HELP!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:24 AM

Dental enamel defects are quite common in celiacs, due to a lack of proper nutrition reaching the body.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:08 PM

I have stunning enamel, and have only one cavity in 39 years. But so does my grandmother. We don't have such great gums, though.

#4 ptkds

ptkds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:32 PM

Yep, it's common to have weak teeth. My 6 yr old has had cavities in probably every molar in her mouth, despite regular cleanings and sealants. I once broke a molar just biting into a cheesestick from sonic (before I knew I had celiac). However, my dh who doesn't have celiac (at least according to his bloodwork) has HORRIBLE teeth, and he takes really good care of them.

Good luck on your new gluten-free adventure! :P

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

#5 Joanne11

Joanne11

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:22 PM

I had fine teeth as a child, but once I got to college I started getting lots of cavities and could not figure out why. It was also the same times I started having GI symptoms. I had my first dentist appointment about 2 months after going gluten free and there was an huge difference,; no cavitites for the first time in about 7 years and the hygentist had to question the previous notes in my chart because they voiced concerne about my gum/teeth and the condition they were in. My nails are also growing for the first time since I can remember so I think it effects more than we realize.
Positive blood work

Negative biopsy

Positive dietary response

Gluten free since March 2007

#6 cmom

cmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:25 PM

Ditto on the nails!! My nails look better than they have my entire life. This is great since my son is getting married next month and I will have nice nails!!!! :o
Robin from Indiana

#7 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:33 PM

I have had terrible experiences with my teeth, my whole life (24 now). I have had one root canal, and one tooth just cracked (and they can't figure out why) so I have a crown on that one. I think it is Celiac related, but who knows for sure. Just my opinion.....
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#8 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:02 AM

I've had bad teeth all my life. They're soft and would get cavities all the time starting at a young age. I've had two or three root canals, and three crowns. I even got a cavity in my front tooth.

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#9 bloatedntexas

bloatedntexas

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:10 AM

Wow! it's great to know that I am not alone on all my dental DRAMA! I never understood why I kept getting cavities when I was taking care of my teeth. I guess soft teeth are a common effect of celiac keeping you from absorbing vitamins. THANK YOU ALL for your input!

#10 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:37 AM

another reason for that to happen is to have acidic saliva. it will eat away at the tooth enamel, and also make your teeth much more sensitive. a friend of mine has this issue, and she has sensitive teeth, has gotten cavities plenty, but is *THE* poster child for proper dental hygiene.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: