#1 mustluvcats

mustluvcats

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:33 PM

Hi Everyone:

I'm new here. I have been gluten free for 2 weeks tomorrow. I havn't been formally diagnosed with Celiac diease yet, but I already seem to be at least gluten sensitive. I was having trouble with restless leg syndrome along with a lot of other things, prior to my gluten free diet. My restless leg syndrome disapeared within two days of going on the diet. Has anyone else had this problem? I am amazed at how different I feel in just a short time. I'm also amazed at all the different items wheat is present in. Things you wouldn't even suspect, if you didn't read the label.

I was feeling like I was given a death sentence, trying to get a way from gluten, wheat. It makes going out to dinner such a chore. Thank heavens there a few Restaurants that have GIG menus.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good bread? The one I tried sucked big time.

Regards,
Jayne

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 elonwy

elonwy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:26 PM

I totally would get restless leg, and still get it when accidently glutened. Do not miss that at all.
On the bread... might I suggest not jumping head first into the substitutes? Give yourself a chance to forget what the "real" thing tastes like. I waited a while, because I couldn't find things, I find the farther I get from the memory of something, the more I like the subsitute. May sound wierd, but it works. I like Kinnikinnick myself, though its harder to find. The whole foods bakery is good too. I do not like any of the other pre-made loaf breads, and I cannot eat any of them without toasting them.
My best experience has been with baking bread using Bette Hagman's recipes and flour blends, though I usually don't go through that effort just because I have a tiny kitchen and baking is a big pain.
When I first went gluten-free, I was feeling really bad. I splurged on gluten free mac and cheese and pasta and things, and then had to slow down cause I was eating so much rice I blocked myself up. Once I balanced out and gave myself the breads and things as treats, it got much better. (for me and my pocket book)
Hopefully my ramblings are helpful.
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:10 PM

Restless leg has also been linked to anemia--which is common with Celiac. I had restless legs for years, and it stopped after I went gluten-free--I was also severly anemic.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 2plustwins

2plustwins

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:22 AM

It is funny that you mention RLS. I have not had any symptoms since going gluten-free a few weeks ago. YEA! Just another thing I can add to the positives of being Gluten Free!
~kristen~
proud mother to two daughters, ages 6 & 4, and twin boys, age 2 1/2

#5 Cherry Tart

Cherry Tart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

I just realized after reading this post that I used to have RLS before going gluten-free. I never put 2 and 2 together. I always just assumed that I was an "active sleeper" :lol: Since going gluten-free, the RLS has disappeard, thank goodness!
Diagnosed & gluten-free - April 2004 :)

#6 Ruth76

Ruth76

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:39 AM

Soooo glad that you wrote that Jayne!

Anemia is a point, but I don't think it's just Anemia. There must be something different which plays a role!
I have been gluten-free for 2 years now and last week my doctor put me on a gluten-containing diet for 6 days and 10 hours and 29 minutes to do a test.

I had it all back at once: RLS, depressions, problems with my concentration during work, skin-problems etc :(.

There's lots of work to do concerning research!!!

You asked for a good bread:
the rice-bread from Trader Joes. I like it, because it's very sweet.

Try perhaps whole foods gluten-free breads, if there is one in your area.

I have always the problem that everything has sugar in it, since I'm also Fructose-intolerant...so I can't recommend anything edible for non-FIs, sorry!

#7 wowzer

wowzer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:16 AM

I used to get that reaction before going gluten free. I don't miss it either.

#8 katebuggie28

katebuggie28

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:47 PM

I have had RLS all of my life (as far as I can remember) I had it pretty bad. I had no idea that celiac disease caused it until today. I have been gluten-free for 6 days ( a few mishaps unknowingly) Loking back on the past few days my RLS has been nonexistant. I am self dx, and I haven't been eating much at all, so I don't know if i am anemiac or not. gluten-free has apparently helped with my RLS! That makes me happy. :P

#9 NYJanice

NYJanice

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:50 AM

I thought I was the only one who found that RLS disappeared on a gluten free diet. That alone makes it worth being vigilent.

#10 suzie/mamaw

suzie/mamaw

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

:huh: I became gluten free a couple of years ago, and I still have rls... Nobody can come up with an answer.. I take my vitamins, stay away from all gluten... but I wake up with it every morning and go to bed with it at night...
. Oh woah is me ..

#11 one more mile

one more mile

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:59 AM

I had RLS also. I do get it from time but only when I am up way to late.
My doctor was telling me that it was from diabetes nerve damage, while I tested in and out of diabetes.

Never a big bread eater I like to use rice cakes to make sandwiches.

one more mile

#12 henny

henny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

wow....I am on my second week gluten-free and am just realizing I haven't had RLS since I started....

this is unreal! (In a good way!)

#13 knitaddict

knitaddict

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:30 AM

I never realized that RLS and anemia were linked. THAT explains a LOT...the anemia was one of the first things that popped up for me. Ugh---I've had RLS for YEARS...then again...I've been anemic for year too! Ugh. :rolleyes:
Diagnosed Crohn's June 08. Tenatively diagnosed Celiac August 08. (Faint positive on bloodwork...biopsies came back "undetermined." Doc recommended going Gluten Free.)

#14 chuckybaby

chuckybaby

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

I never realized that RLS and anemia were linked. THAT explains a LOT...the anemia was one of the first things that popped up for me. Ugh---I've had RLS for YEARS...then again...I've been anemic for year too! Ugh. :rolleyes:

I was diagnosed with severe anemia a month ago. It was so bad I was immediately sent to the ER and admitted. They had to give me 4 units of blood. I had restless leg before the transfusion but have not had it since. They gave me the Celiac panel and it came out negative...The CT scan shows a very large hiatal hernia...undergoing capsule and upper endoscopy to try and confirm if I have Celiac's or not.

#15 Live2BWell

Live2BWell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

I have RLS also; I have noticed that being gluten free helps tremendously with RLS; I have also found that when my Hashimotos flares up (autoimmune thyroid disorder) then my RLS gets much worse. Interesting topic!
*Jessica*
IgG + IgA + TtG -
Family History of Celiac
See 'about me' for more info
gluten-free Since: 11/02/08

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: