- - - - -

Med.alert

• Please log in to reply

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cd&dhspruehead_*

Guest_cd&dhspruehead_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:37 PM

what should read on a medical alert tag?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_momof3_*

Guest_momof3_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:33 AM

I have wondered this myself. I have spells of sudden fatiuge memicing epileptic seizures. I used to have the tremor spells w/ extreme fatiuge. Now the spells are sudden onset of extreme weakness, unable to speak or walk, loss of muscle,(pass out) hearing but not able to open eyes.
My guess is maybe (non epileptic spells) with an emergency contact #.

momof3

celiac disease 7-9-04
trying hard,gluten-free since 8-04
First time experiancing gut pain 11-6-04

#3 Thomas

Thomas

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:54 AM

You have the option of giving them more information than what can fit on the bracelet.

#4 hapi2bgf

hapi2bgf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:54 AM

Call Medic Alert. They were very helpful when I called to get my daugthers bracelet. And they do collect quite a bit more info than is printed on the bracelet.

I have been told that hospital and paramedics check necks (for necklace medialert) and wrists (for the bracelet medicalert) first.

#5 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:49 AM

I wouldn't use a Medalert tag at all. If you lose consciousness and are rushed to a hospital, what if they needed to use a gluten-containing medicine to save your life? It's better to have abdominal pain...and be alive to have it, then to be dead because they didn't use medicine on you, fearing a reaction.

#6 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:53 PM

I think it is good to have the alert tag. . .you never know when you may have a sudden new reaction.

#7 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:57 PM

I think it is good to have the alert tag. . .you never know when you may have a sudden new reaction.

Perhaps, when it comes to small children who might not know better than to accept food from a teacher, friend, or friend's parent, and for medication that a nurse or doctor might unknowingly give the child. For an aware child or an adult, however, I don't think it's a really good idea. Obviously, you know that you have celiac and that you need to be careful. The only time that you would have something administered without your control and without being able to warn the person of your celiac would be if you lost consciousness---and in that state, if medicine needs to be administered to save a live or something--gluten or not--it should be administered.

#8 Thomas

Thomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:29 PM

Your decision...

#9 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:54 PM

I was told at (by medical professionals) that you can have suddenly have a different reaction to gluten that you have never had before. If I have such a reaction to where I am not not able to speak for myself I want them to see that I have rections to what is listed on my medic alert bracelet (certain drugs and gluten).

I wasn't saying don't let them give you medas with gluten in them. . .just letting them know that you could be reactiong to something.

#10 ryebaby0

ryebaby0

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 05:30 PM

My son has something called a RoadID, which has 5 whole lines for information. The company started making them for runners, kayakers, etc. His dob, ph#, md ph#, etc. and "celiac -- no gluten" on it. It straps on his shoe with a velcro band, is stainless steel and cost $20...they also make dog-tag style ones, with various logos on the front (his has a gecko). If he were to be injured or something at a field trip, etc., I don 't want some well-meaning person to push him into eating a comfort cookie. This way he can just hold up the tag!

joanna
Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: