Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Waiting For A Doctor's Appointment

2 posts in this topic

I hope you have some information for me. My daughter had colic when she was a baby, Iron free formula, soy formula, colic drops and up all night. As she grew it subsided. Several years ago I suspected she was lactose intolerant. We took her for the breathing test at the hospital and her readings came back that she was border line intolerant. 10 minutes after she drank the liquid they gave her she ran, and I mean ran to the bathroom with diarrhea. I think that made the results pretty clear. We have been treating her for the problem ever since. She uses as much dairy free products as possible and takes lactaid tablet, milk, ice cream etc.

She is still having a problem with stomach aches and ocassional unexplaned diarrhea. In addition to this she gets chunks of regergetation comming up on her periodically. She gets heartburn, nausia and head aches more than I think a 12 year old should have. There may be more symptoms that I just havn't retained from all the reading that I have done. She has an appointment to see a pediatric GI doctor.

I have had diarrhea problems as long as I can remember in my childhood. But it wasn't on a regular basis. 13 1/2 years ago when I had my son I became lactose intolerant. I have alot of the same symptoms as my daughter. Heart burn, Migrains, unexplained diarrhea (no dairy)

My main reason for thinking that we don't have celiac disease is the weight issue. I wouldn't call either of us fat but thin we are not. A lot of what I read is about people with a problem gaining weight. I have never had this problem. In fact it is hard for me to loose weight. I eat a lot of carbs and so does my daughter.

Does anyone have any info on this aspect of it? Non thin people with celiac disease?

Thank you to anyone who can help us.

Ads by Google:

To The 2 of us.

You report symptoms that apear to be related to Celiac. Only a doctor can make that determination. Your concern about weight is really a non-concern. Many celiacs report that they were not bone thin. I too had difficulty losing weight all of my life. I believe it might be our bodies protecting us from the antibodies that we develop. It is not uncommon to develop lactose intolerance before bloating, gas, etc. The absorbtion of the lactose takes place, as I understand it, at the end of the villi. (the little fingerlike projections that absorb nutrients from the food into the intestine) Since the ends of the villi become damaged first, the lactose intolerance is noticable before other symptoms of glucose intolerance. Since this is as yet undiagnosed, it might be advisable to share w/ your md your concerns but do not allow yourself to be put off. You need to be tested especially since this seems to be a genetic problem. Frequently mothers of celiac children say that they were colicky babies. I don't know if that is true or just some passed on information. Unfortunately, doctors may not be as up on this disease as they would like. Perhaps others here can give you more information. In any case, good luck and God bless you 2. Royann :rolleyes: