Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Possible Kidney Pain As A Sign Of Intolerance? Back Pain...

10 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm posting this under other food intolerances because it's not a problem limited to gluten.

Tonight I tried corn after having it out of my diet for a long time. Within an hour after eating some plain corn taco shells (no other new foods), I developed a dull middle to mid-lower ache in my back. This pain did not feel like a muscle ache - instead it made me think of organs or other deeper tissues. It lasted for a couple of hours and then slowly started to fade. It's the same on both sides and it located roughly just below where my bra strap hits.

This is not a new pain - it's one of my symptoms of intolerance, but I don't understand what it is and whether I should be worried. I'm hoping someone here knows or has a story to share, a theory, some scientificness, or even a WAG. :) I put kidney pain in the title, but I'm not at all certain this is what it is.

Prior to my celiac diagnosis, I can remember getting this same pain and associating it with consumption of red wine (which I now avoid). I would get it the day after having even a single glass of red wine. I recently also got it after eating plain rice snaps for the first time (my first rice consumption after weaning Drew, who is allergic to rice and intolerant of corn).

I should mention that I did get some other signs of intolerance - namely rapid evacuation of stomach contents. But no headaches (which I get with some intolerances).

Besides gluten (and possibly other grains), I seem to have trouble with soy or dairy (haven't narrowed it down - don't eat either for now), coconut, and potato chips (but not cooked red potatoes, which I eat frequently). But my symptoms are a little different for different foods.

Sorry to ramble. The back pain thing is just a bit worrysome!

April

Ads by Google:

April, I, too, sometimes have a strange, dull ache on one side of my back occasionally. It's always in the left kidney area (lower than yours) and my first inclination is always to stretch it. But then I remember that that never works and it's a different pain than a tight muscle. Like it's pain or aching from the upper descending colon that is referred to my back in that area. I always try to figure out what it is, and I think it might be related to peanuts, or wheat (when I cheat with a slice of bread). But it's not at the top of my priority list and happens only occasionally so I have not rigorously followed my food intake.

I have intermittent kidney area pain. It usually starts on one side or the other and sometimes radiates in any direction. And I find the urge to stretch it as well, which doesn't help. Nor does large doses of ibuprofen.

It sent me to the ER Easter weekend after not subsiding for 3 days. I thought I had a stone or an infection. The pain really wasn't that extreme but I got anxious thinking about it being either of those things. They did an CT scan which came back negative.

I went to the chiropracter the next day and he thought it was swollen/exhausted adrenal glands. I don't know if that's the case or not, but I have found it to be more stress related than food related.

Thanks for the replies!

April

I have similar pains when eating foods high in mold/fungal content. I have alot of problems with these foods...its a long list of foods that I have to avoid because my sensitivity level is so high.

I get other symptoms with it as well.

Thanks, Rachel. I know you post a ton - so I will do some searching to see what you have said. Can you by chance point to one of your posts where you list the foods you have trouble with? I'm curious to see if we have any other foods in common.

Thanks!

April

Hi April,

I dont think I have a post with a complete list of foods I dont tolerate...if there is such a post its somewhere lost in the OMG thread. :blink:

Its much easier to tell you what I *can* eat.....which is a very short list right now.

I stick to organic foods 99% of the time.

I eat organic grass fed beef, one brand of applesauce that I'm ok with, potatoes, frozen peas, frozen asparagus, eggs (only free range veggie fed organic) , chicken or turkey once in a while.

Thats pretty much it!! :o

Ok....I lied...I sometimes cheat with one brand of organic ice cream and more recently some fresh gluten free dairy free cookies. :P

I'm extremely sensitive to molds so I cant eat any grains at all....I cant even eat meat from grain-fed animals but I eat the grass fed beef everyday for a year now without any problems.

Most of my restrictions are because of my mold/yeast sensitivity. I cant tolerate most fresh produce, no nuts or nut butters, no chips or crackers and on and on. I'm also sensitive to chemicals (preservatives like sulfites) so that takes alot of foods off of my list as well.

I'm in the process of really getting started on treatment and I'm very optimistic that I'll be seeing some improvements in the upcoming months.....including a longer list of safe foods. :)

Feel free to join us in the OMG thread anytime you want. Most of the posters in that thread have very restricted diets. The problem with molds is pretty common although mine is more severe than what most are dealing with.

Hello,

I am sorry you suffer from back pain. If I am understanding it correctly, the pain comes and goes with different foods, correct?

I too have a terrible deep pain when I eat certain foods. I don't know yet if it is specifically gluten and I need to search for foods with mold. Last night I ate spinach dip in a restauant and this pain returned with a vengence. (I hadn't had it in a few weeks since being gluten free) The pain is in my back. It is located about an inch from my spine on each side. It seems to be mid back but if you put your hands on your hips at the belly button range and spread your thumbs out that about pinpoints it. It is deep, and I have my husband dig to massage it. He often can't get to right spot so I feel it is an organ not tissue. I don't know what this is, but it is related to my diet. I would love to cure this forever if anyone has ideas. The pain is terrible and keeps me from sleeping. (which is difficult as well!) I am searching for more info on this. If I find anything, I will let you know. I am certainly going to ask my doctor about it. Although, that is a shot in the dark! LOL!

it could be adrenal exhaustion but its worth getting checked for kidney stones. i went to the doctor 3 times, had scans and nothing was found. kidney stones was finally diagnosed after i was rushed into hospital after throwing up and i agreed to stay in over night to get to the bottom of it.

google adrenal fatigue and see if any of the symptoms match up. there are some very specific symptoms of adrenal fatigue - and dont bother going to the doctor. they are still stuck in the dark ages on this.

it could be adrenal exhaustion but its worth getting checked for kidney stones. i went to the doctor 3 times, had scans and nothing was found. kidney stones was finally diagnosed after i was rushed into hospital after throwing up and i agreed to stay in over night to get to the bottom of it.

google adrenal fatigue and see if any of the symptoms match up. there are some very specific symptoms of adrenal fatigue - and dont bother going to the doctor. they are still stuck in the dark ages on this.

Welcome to the forum. Since this topic was started in 2007, hopefully the original poster has found the answer to her problems.