This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please! Need Advice On My Toddler

wildlife-lover

wildlife-lover Newbie

Hi all,

Im wondering if anyone has had any of these problems in a toddler with celiac. I have celiac disease. My toddler is 27 months old. Since about 12 months old (and adding food to his diet at 6 mos., breastfeeding breastfeeding until 18 mos) my son has been dropping down the percentage scale for babies his age. He is now in the 3% for weight (weighs 22 lbs) as well as 6% in height. He is also delayed in his motor skills/cognitive skills and is going to have to start speech therapy. He shows no signs of autism. He has always seemed healthy but just small. He did not get any teeth until 13 months old and didn't start walking until almost 17 mos. He also has chronic loose & runny stools. He had been tested for vitamin deficiency which came back normal. His pediatrician said that he does not have celiac as if he did, he would have a lack of vitamins. I was also told that the diarrhea is from the 2 bottles of milk that he gets a day (which we do for extra calories). Does this sound like it could in fact be celiac disease??? Im starting to wonder if I should put him thru the traumatic experience again of having his blood drawn. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone else would let me know if they have had these sypmtoms in a baby/toddler with celiac disease.

Thanks so much,

Melissa, mommy to Ryan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ptkds Community Regular

You should definetly have him checked for celiac disease. My dd was borderline anemic, but her pedi said her levels were "within normal range", but the WIC office said she was anemic. Or you could just try the diet for a while and see if he improves. It shouldn't be too hard if you are on the diet as well. He may also have a milk allergy or lactose intolerance.

ptkds

OceanGirl78 Newbie

I personally would have him tested. As most people on this board have discovered, many doctors are very uneducated when it comes to celiac disease. They only look for the classic digestive, malnourishment signs - which is just the tip of ONE of the symptom iceburgs out there.

Shortly before I was FINALLY diagnosed (at age 22) I became lactose intolerant - common among many undiagnosed celiacs from what I have read. About 6 months after going gluten-free, I was able to start consuming dairy again and have not had a problem in 6 years.

Good luck!

wildlife-lover Newbie

Thanks for some fo the quick responses/advice. It took years of me being sick like a dog with stomach & intestinal problems before I was diagnised. Sadly..... I was the one who finally found a doctor who didn't think I was a HYPOCHONDRIAC and tested me for celia which I had previously begged several doctors to do. I also have an auto-immune disease similar to Lupus. I guess I shouldn't rely on Dr.'s telling me boys don't generally inherit auto-immune diseases from their moms.

Any other info is appreciated as well. My sons only real favorite foods are cheese and pasta. I have been giving him alot of it since it is high calorie/carbs.

Melissa

mftnchn Explorer

I think your doctor is not knowledgeable enough about celiac. He has classic signs of delayed growth plus the diarrhea. In addition his mother is a diagnosed celiac. The latter alone should point to the need for celiac screening.

Yes the blood draw is traumatic, and yet it could be much easier for you to get respect from doctors if he was clearly diagnosed. On the other hand, the diet is under your control.

wildlife-lover Newbie

Hi all,

I am having my sons blood drawn tomorrow. Im not looking forward to it as it took 4 people to hold him down the last time he had blood drawn. It breaks my HEART. At least we will know if he has celiac though. Thanks for the replies. I may be back for some suggestions if his test comes back +.

Kindest regards,

Melissa

NewGFMom Contributor

Poor little guy! Just remember 2 minutes of pain and discomfort can bring you a lot of answers in the long run. Hopefully they'll test for the gene and you'll have a pretty definitive 'no' if he doesn't have the gene.

Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

If you feel like he should be tested (listen to your heart) then you need to tell your Dr. that he WILL be testing him. If he refuses, you need to find another Dr. I work in health care, I am fortunate that I know by working with these docs who are good and who are not as good, I realize that most people don't have this luxury--for this reason, I tell people that "YOU are in charge of your healthcare as well as being a health advocate for your child. NO ONE knows your body better than you-take charge and make your Dr listen or find a new doc"

Good luck to you and your family :D

Ursa Major Collaborator

Unfortunately, the blood test is extremely unreliable in children under six and there are many false negatives. The same goes for the biopsy. For children this age the diet is the most reliable test, as well as testing from Enterolab (stool testing, no blood draw involved, less traumatic for everyone except for your wallet :blink: ).

Also, even though 95% of people with celiac disease have the so-called celiac disease genes (and definitely not all of them have been identified), some people have biopsy-proven celiac disease without those genes. So, even if somebody doesn't have the DQ2 or DQ8 genes they can have celiac disease, despite doctors telling you otherwise.

Also, I would stop the milk, as it could definitely be part of the problem. Rather than adding calories, it might be causing the diarrhea, and the same goes for the pasta.

If you want to add healthy calories to his diet, use cold-pressed, non-hydrogenate coconut oil for cooking and baking. It is the healthiest saturated fat on the planet and is even used as a supplement.

Of course, celiac disease is genetic. With those symptoms and you having celiac disease, you really know already that he has it. Personally, I would just bypass that ignorant doctor and go for Open Original Shared Link testing myself, if I was his mother.

wildlife-lover Newbie
Unfortunately, the blood test is extremely unreliable in children under six and there are many false negatives. The same goes for the biopsy. For children this age the diet is the most reliable test, as well as testing from Enterolab (stool testing, no blood draw involved, less traumatic for everyone except for your wallet :blink: ).

Also, even though 95% of people with celiac disease have the so-called celiac disease genes (and definitely not all of them have been identified), some people have biopsy-proven celiac disease without those genes. So, even if somebody doesn't have the DQ2 or DQ8 genes they can have celiac disease, despite doctors telling you otherwise.

Also, I would stop the milk, as it could definitely be part of the problem. Rather than adding calories, it might be causing the diarrhea, and the same goes for the pasta.

If you want to add healthy calories to his diet, use cold-pressed, non-hydrogenate coconut oil for cooking and baking. It is the healthiest saturated fat on the planet and is even used as a supplement.

Of course, celiac disease is genetic. With those symptoms and you having celiac disease, you really know already that he has it. Personally, I would just bypass that ignorant doctor and go for Open Original Shared Link testing myself, if I was his mother.

Archived