This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New To The Group From Seattle Area

cruelshoes

cruelshoes Enthusiast

I am new to this group. I was diagnosed 8/05, and my 8 year old son was diagnosed 11/05. We are from the Puget Sound area, between Seattle and Tacoma (Federal Way). I would love to meet any parents with kids near us. I am also considering starting a ROCK group, and would like to know if there is any interest.

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I will be a positive, contributing member to this group.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

i'm from california, but i wanted to say that i am applying early decision to UPS next fall, so if all goes my way, i will be up in your end in 2008 :D

Lisa Mentor

We have alot of members from the Seattle area...I'm sure that they will check in soon with some great advise.

By the way, I think that is a wonderful idea. With this celiac thing, we tend to pay it forward.

tarnalberry Community Regular

There are a bunch of us on here. :) I'm on the east side.

Welcome. :)

(BTW, there's a gluten-free bakery - sunshine bakery? - at 167 & 900, or thereabouts. you can google it. ;) haven't been there yet, though it's not too far from work, but it was closed when I passed by on my way to Crystal for skiing.

lonewolf Collaborator

I'm from Federal Way too! My gluten-free kids are ages 12 (son) and 15 (daughter) and have adapted well to the diet. Do you shop/eat at Marlene's?

burdee Enthusiast

The Sunny Valley Wheat Free Bakery is located at 22035 SE Wax Road, #10 in Maple Valley. Call 425-413-9493 for directions or see their website at Open Original Shared Link

There are celiac disease support groups which meet in Olympia and Centralia in the south end of Puget Sound and Bellevue, Bothell and Bellingham in the north end. The ROCK group meets in Bellevue, but their kids' party meeting locations vary. However there are no groups which meet between Olympia and Bellevue. Many people have considered starting a group in the south end, but nobody followed through. See Open Original Shared Link (GIG) for a list of support groups and leader contact info. I lead the group which meets in Bothell. PM me for more info.

BURDEE

Jestgar Rising Star

Not a parent, but I do work in Seattle.

Welcome to the board.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Generic Apprentice

I also am in the Puget Sound area. I'm a parent but so far no celiac kids.

Juliebove Rising Star

I'm in Bothell. Daughter doesn't have celiac but she is allergic to wheat and gluten among other things.

lonewolf Collaborator
I'm in Bothell. Daughter doesn't have celiac but she is allergic to wheat and gluten among other things.

I keep meaning to respond to one of your posts. I grew up in Bothell! Lived there from birth until age 18. Have you lived there long?

Juliebove Rising Star

Been here almost three years now. Was born in Wichita and moved to Edmonds back in the 60's. Dad worked for Boeing. Moved from tha area at age 35 when I got married. Moved to MA, CA, NY and now back here.

cruelshoes Enthusiast
I'm from Federal Way too! My gluten-free kids are ages 12 (son) and 15 (daughter) and have adapted well to the diet. Do you shop/eat at Marlene's?

Glad to meet someone else from Federal Way! I don't shop much at Marlene's because their prices are a little steep for me, but I do drop in their occasionally to check out their gluten-free section.

Glad to meet the other Washintonians as well. I have been to Sunny Valley Wheat Free bakery before. Their stuff was fine, but a little expensive for us. Nice for a treat, but we won't be shopping there very often.

lonewolf Collaborator
Glad to meet someone else from Federal Way! I don't shop much at Marlene's because their prices are a little steep for me, but I do drop in their occasionally to check out their gluten-free section.

Glad to meet the other Washintonians as well. I have been to Sunny Valley Wheat Free bakery before. Their stuff was fine, but a little expensive for us. Nice for a treat, but we won't be shopping there very often.

I know what you mean about Marlene's. I do a little shopping there, but mostly like to eat at the salad bar upstairs. I get most of my gluten-free stuff from Trader Joe's and Fred Meyer. Marlene's does have Tinkyada pasta on sale this month, so I stocked up on that. There's another health food store in Kent called Nature's Pantry or Nature's Market that has an excellent selection of gluten-free stuff. Still expensive, but worth a trip once in a while to find things like ice cream cones. It's by the Chuckie Cheese up on the hill.

I hope Sunny Valley has improved a bit. I took my kids there all excited last summer and we were disappointed. The pizza was good, and it was fun to get to order gluten-free pizza, but the other things we bought were a little dense and just not right. One of my kids said, "Mom, this is like what you used to make before you learned how to do it right."

• 2 weeks later...
Kelleigh Newbie

Hi -

I'm also new to the group. Live in Bellevue. Still waiting on results from Entero, but feel it'll be positive as I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and already feel better having been off gluten for a couple of weeks. I'm 38, divorced, no kids. Nice to "meet" everyone!

BTW, the www.seattleceliacs.com site doesn't work - is that still a valid group?

:) Kelly

megirae Newbie

Hi, I am new to the site but have lived in WA all my life. I am currently in Sumner and I have a 4 month old son. I have decieded to keep him gluten free until we can know for sure. I'm not sure how well I will do as I can barely keep myself in line but his health is the most important thing. I do most of my shopping at Fred Myer as we have one just two blocks away but have also gone to Trader Joes. I would like to try Whole Foods but driving all the way to Bellevue with a four month old just to do some grocery shopping is just not practical.

Jestgar Rising Star

megirae,

check out the online shopping sites. You can find good deals sometimes and for you the cost of shipping might equal out the expense and hassle of driving so far.

burdee Enthusiast
Hi -

I'm also new to the group. Live in Bellevue. Still waiting on results from Entero, but feel it'll be positive as I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and already feel better having been off gluten for a couple of weeks. I'm 38, divorced, no kids. Nice to "meet" everyone!

BTW, the www.seattleceliacs.com site doesn't work - is that still a valid group?

:) Kelly

Hi Kelly:

Yes, the Seattle Celiacs still meets on third Tuesdays (7-9pm) at the Eastside Group Health Hosptial. Call Earl Ley (leader) at 425-747-1110. OR consider attending the SnoKingCeliac Support Group which meets in Bothell at the Northshore Group Health Clinic on 2nd Tuesdays (7-8:30pm) of each month. I lead that group and will give you directions and more info if you pm me.

BURDEE

• 1 month later...
Skipper Newbie

I was surprised to read your comments regarding Sunny Valley Wheat Free. The first time I went there the place was packed and everybody was raving about everything!

We bought a bunch of stuff and everything was so delicious! It's the only place we shop for gluten-free now. Their convenience meals are lifesavers during the work week and their pasta products are incredible. You should give them another try.

As a sidenote, they no longer offer any hot products or cook pizza's to order. :(

I know what you mean about Marlene's. I do a little shopping there, but mostly like to eat at the salad bar upstairs. I get most of my gluten-free stuff from Trader Joe's and Fred Meyer. Marlene's does have Tinkyada pasta on sale this month, so I stocked up on that. There's another health food store in Kent called Nature's Pantry or Nature's Market that has an excellent selection of gluten-free stuff. Still expensive, but worth a trip once in a while to find things like ice cream cones. It's by the Chuckie Cheese up on the hill.

I hope Sunny Valley has improved a bit. I took my kids there all excited last summer and we were disappointed. The pizza was good, and it was fun to get to order gluten-free pizza, but the other things we bought were a little dense and just not right. One of my kids said, "Mom, this is like what you used to make before you learned how to do it right."

sickchick Community Regular

Hello everyone

I joined the forum about 3 days ago...

I have not yet seen a dr (but I see my ND on the 30th)

I have all the symptoms and I am really feeling aweful

waiting to get OFF the gluten...after my testing

I shop @ Fred Meyer and whatever health food store I happen to be driving by

at the time lol

nice to meet you all! :)

I am single and I have no kids...

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I used to live in Seattle--does that count?

It's the best city in the country!!!!!! (It's been 20 years since I moved, and I still miss it!)

sickchick Community Regular

You can come back anytime Faddle :lol:

lonewolf Collaborator
I was surprised to read your comments regarding Sunny Valley Wheat Free. The first time I went there the place was packed and everybody was raving about everything!

We bought a bunch of stuff and everything was so delicious! It's the only place we shop for gluten-free now. Their convenience meals are lifesavers during the work week and their pasta products are incredible. You should give them another try.

As a sidenote, they no longer offer any hot products or cook pizza's to order. :(

It sounds like maybe it has improved. We went almost exactly a year ago, so they've had time to work out any problems with their recipes. Next time I'm driving that way I'll try to stop, but after our first experience we won't make a special trip. I do a lot of baking myself and something has to taste at least as good and hopefully better for me to want to pay big buck for it. Sorry to hear that they don't have the pizza's anymore - that was so fun for my gluten-free kids!

• 4 weeks later...
stitchy woman Rookie

I live in Snohomish Co, but work on the Eastside, so am considering which group to join for meetings--I guess it depends on time and dates held. Just recently diagnosed via blood tests, and have only been trying to go gluten-free for a month, so plenty of mistakes and progresses both.

I would check out these bakeries, but I'm also trying to see this as a chance to eat healthier, and not just replace foods--my butt can use a little slimming. Maybe as a special treat, I will go visit the bakeries.

Glad to see you all!

• 3 weeks later...
laurericcharlie Newbie

Hey, I am working out of town recently but am normally in Seattle, my 17 year old lives in shoreline with mom. I am a drummer if that helps, what sort of rock are you thinking about? Charlie

I am new to this group. I was diagnosed 8/05, and my 8 year old son was diagnosed 11/05. We are from the Puget Sound area, between Seattle and Tacoma (Federal Way). I would love to meet any parents with kids near us. I am also considering starting a ROCK group, and would like to know if there is any interest.

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I will be a positive, contributing member to this group.

tarnalberry Community Regular

:)

fyi, charlie, ROCK (in all caps, in this context) stands for "Raising Our Celiac Kids" and is kinda like a syndicated support group for parents of celiac children.

but rock backs are good too. ;)

Archived