8 replies to this topic

#1 buffettbride

buffettbride

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:17 AM

EEEEK!!!! I glutened my DD twice this weekend, thinking Emeril's Smooth Honey Mustard was gluten-free (as listed here: http://www.emerilsto...sher_gluten.asp ).

Maybe I'm being rash, but the meal she had that day was:

Tapioca bread grilled w/ Promise spread
Jif Peanut Butter
Welch's Grape Jelly
Glutino Pretzels
Emeril's Smooth Honey Mustard

Any ideas or suggestions? Our house is gluten-free so the risk of CC would be minor (however I'm open to anything). I'm grasping at straws really, because she really loves the Glutino Pretzels with honey mustard!! It's somewhat of a comfort food for her.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:26 PM

With any processed product there's always a chance of CC, even with the best companies. If you really want it, you might buy another container and try it to see what happens. Or see if French's or Kraft has something comparable.

richard

#3 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:18 PM

Ken's Steakhouse makes a wonderful honey mustard....really thick and SO good!!

You could also make your own....I do sometimes....I use the following:

Mayo
Yellow Mustard
Spicy Brown Mustard
Honey

I use mostly mayo, SB mustard & honey. I mix and taste until I find what I like.
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:08 AM

EEEEK!!!! I glutened my DD twice this weekend, thinking Emeril's Smooth Honey Mustard was gluten-free (as listed here: http://www.emerilsto...sher_gluten.asp ).

Maybe I'm being rash, but the meal she had that day was:

Tapioca bread grilled w/ Promise spread
Jif Peanut Butter
Welch's Grape Jelly
Glutino Pretzels
Emeril's Smooth Honey Mustard

Any ideas or suggestions? Our house is gluten-free so the risk of CC would be minor (however I'm open to anything). I'm grasping at straws really, because she really loves the Glutino Pretzels with honey mustard!! It's somewhat of a comfort food for her.

You may want to call the company directly and ask what form of distllled vinager they use. There are some of us that will react to gluten grain derived vinagers but since not all of us do even if they use a gluten vinager they may not consider it to be gluten. May not be the case for you all but it is something that 2 of us in our family have to be careful of, the other 2 celiacs tolerate distilled grain okay.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:02 PM

You may want to call the company directly and ask what form of distllled vinager they use. There are some of us that will react to gluten grain derived vinagers but since not all of us do even if they use a gluten vinager they may not consider it to be gluten. May not be the case for you all but it is something that 2 of us in our family have to be careful of, the other 2 celiacs tolerate distilled grain okay.

I was under the understanding that distilled vinegar was safe (unless flavors containing gluten are added in after the distillation process).

So it's possible vinegars may not be safe at all? I could totally see how that would have happened. The girl loves pickles (especially bread and butter pickles).

Eeeegaaads this is hard sometimes.

#6 skyepie

skyepie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:10 PM

Is there any chance that the promise spread was contaminated? My dietician instructed me to have my own container of butter that nobody else dips a knife into.....
Tummy troubles began in early 2005.
Misdiagnosed with IBS in May 2006, meds didn't work.
June 2007 IgA results 137.8, MD said "normal" is <20. Gluten intolerant.
7/2/07 endoscopy indicated Celiac Sprue. Gluten free since that day.

#7 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:41 PM

Is there any chance that the promise spread was contaminated? My dietician instructed me to have my own container of butter that nobody else dips a knife into.....

Nope. Everything in the house is gluten-free.

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

I was under the understanding that distilled vinegar was safe (unless flavors containing gluten are added in after the distillation process).

So it's possible vinegars may not be safe at all? I could totally see how that would have happened. The girl loves pickles (especially bread and butter pickles).

Eeeegaaads this is hard sometimes.

For many they are safe just as with alcohol but there are some of us who will have a gluten reaction. The best way to determine if something is tolerated is to add it to your diet for a week when you are symptom free and not consuming anything else that is new. Eat some everyday and if you are not having any gluten symptoms after a week (they can be delayed) then you will now that particular food and brand is okay.

There are some folks also who just don't toleate any vinagers so you may even want to make your first challenge cider (not cider flavored) vinager. Many bread and butter pickles use cider vinager as the vinager choice and in addition they are really easy to make.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:42 PM

For many they are safe just as with alcohol but there are some of us who will have a gluten reaction. The best way to determine if something is tolerated is to add it to your diet for a week when you are symptom free and not consuming anything else that is new. Eat some everyday and if you are not having any gluten symptoms after a week (they can be delayed) then you will now that particular food and brand is okay.

There are some folks also who just don't toleate any vinagers so you may even want to make your first challenge cider (not cider flavored) vinager. Many bread and butter pickles use cider vinager as the vinager choice and in addition they are really easy to make.

I did a quick peek at the label when I cleaned the fridge this weekend and it was indeed cider vinegar (not cider flavored). I'm thinking either it was a bad batch or she managed to pick it up from somewhere else that I just can't think of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: