Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

gluten-free At Walmart

17 posts in this topic

I'm ecstatic that our new superWalmart carries the Van's gluten-free waffles -- and today I found gluten-free pasta.

I've read on here that some Walmarts carry Gluten Free Pantry products. Where would I find them in the store?

Ads by Google:

I was so upset for months that our Super Walmart didn't carry any rice pasta. I probably looked more than a dozen times. I mentioned this to a friend and the next day he called and said he had found some and exactly where to look. Sure enough it had been there all along, cleverly disguised in a bright blue box with GLUTEN-FREE in giant letters right on the front. Can gluten cause temporary blindness? B)

I'm thinking that there is a trend here, as the Walmart brand labels ALL gluten-free food and now is carying waffles and gluten-free pantry mixes (they are in the baking section with brownie and muffin mixes by the way) Hopefully we can expect more from them in the future.

Last time I was at the Super Walmart near our home, they had GFP chocolate truffle brownies on the baking aisle. It was a new packaging style I had not seen before. It was a hard box that tapers to a point at the top, but it is wider than the other hard-box ones. The graphic was also different, but the color scheme was the same as the other GFP items. I almost bought some just tho show Wally World how much I appreciate them carrying gluten-free items. If only I didn't have a case of them at home from amazon .com! Of course, I am afraid to open the case bacause that is the only way I can keep from baking and EATING them all. :rolleyes:

Last time I was at the Super Walmart near our home, they had GFP chocolate truffle brownies on the baking aisle. It was a new packaging style I had not seen before. It was a hard box that tapers to a point at the top, but it is wider than the other hard-box ones. The graphic was also different, but the color scheme was the same as the other GFP items. I almost bought some just tho show Wally World how much I appreciate them carrying gluten-free items. If only I didn't have a case of them at home from amazon .com! Of course, I am afraid to open the case bacause that is the only way I can keep from baking and EATING them all. :rolleyes:

Thanks, I was looking for the GFP mixes in the blue and white colored boxes. I'll look closer next time for the different packaging.

Is there anything other specific gluten-free brand products they carry that I'm missing? I just know about the waffles, pasta, and Gluten Free Pantry.

Do you know about the Great Value brand? First off it is usually the cheapest of all the products, second, they list gluten-free right on the package if it is so. I find it much easier, say I'm looking for BBQ sause or something, instead of reading all the ingredients for all the brands I first look at the Great Value to see if it says Gluten Free and then I buy that one.

I was so happy to find those waffles too!!!! They are great to make a PBJ sandwich!

I found the GFP mixes in the pasta aisle...???? I know, doesn't make any sense. They were with the Cheese Whiz. Doesn't make any sense, does it? There was nothing else gluten free around either. I recognized the green and white design on the box. They aren't in the typical packaging, but angeljd1 has the box as her avatar I believe so you check out what they look like.

Just have to reinforce what a former person said about the Great Valu brand at WalMart........their boxed potatoes are superb (my husband even remarked that they were good and potatoes aren't his thing) and so much cheaper than the name brand with gluten free marked right on the box. We sure have come a long way. I was there today and bought three muffin mixes and will try them three different ways-------I think it will be blueberry, chocolate chip and craisin. They were $2.93 each, and I am sure they would have been much more in a health food store or on line. WalMart is SO SMART to court the gluten free people this way. Some people don't like them, but I LOVE them. Barbara

I saw the gluten-free pasta DeBoles at Wally World, and I was happy but also dissappointed. I hate that brand name's pasta. lol. ;)

I saw the gluten-free pasta DeBoles at Wally World, and I was happy but also dissappointed. I hate that brand name's pasta. lol. ;)

Ditto. There's someone that posts that they like it so maybe I'm doing something wrong. It always comes out gummy and sticks in my teeth. Tinkyada never gives me a problem.

Our Super Wal Mart also carries Amy's products so much cheaper than our local health food store. I haven't seen the pasta but they have the Gluten Free Pantry stuff too I was so excited. The cheaper gluten free food that is good is the better!

I am usually not a breakfast person, but today I woke up early somehow and was hungry. I was thrilled that I would get to try my new waffles. Alas, I gave my toaster to one of my summer interns to use since I never had a use for it, guess I'll have to wait 6 more weeks to eat my waffles.

As for the Walmart gluten-free pasta, I had a horrible problem with it sticking to the pot. On the advice of a friend I added just a little bit of cooking oil to the water before adding the pasta and that helped quite a bit. I don't find the taste to be that terribly bad, but I spice up my food quite a bit. There is another grocery store in our small town that caries a different brand of rice pasta for about the same price, don't recall the name though.

Renth--what Amy's products does your Walmart have? Frozen dinners, canned soups? I want to know where to start looking.

I am usually not a breakfast person, but today I woke up early somehow and was hungry. I was thrilled that I would get to try my new waffles. Alas, I gave my toaster to one of my summer interns to use since I never had a use for it, guess I'll have to wait 6 more weeks to eat my waffles.

As for the Walmart gluten-free pasta, I had a horrible problem with it sticking to the pot. On the advice of a friend I added just a little bit of cooking oil to the water before adding the pasta and that helped quite a bit. I don't find the taste to be that terribly bad, but I spice up my food quite a bit. There is another grocery store in our small town that caries a different brand of rice pasta for about the same price, don't recall the name though.

Renth--what Amy's products does your Walmart have? Frozen dinners, canned soups? I want to know where to start looking.

I used to work at Wal-Mart and if there is something you want find a mgr. and tell them and they will try to order for you. Our local HEB grocery is the same way.

Yellow Rose

They have both soups and dinners. I also noticed yesterday that they have Redbridge as well.

Ditto. There's someone that posts that they like it so maybe I'm doing something wrong. It always comes out gummy and sticks in my teeth. Tinkyada never gives me a problem.

i had that problem and i figured out the solution, after you boil it and drain it IMMEDIATELY rinse with cold water and that makes it all better!

The only thing I have liked since going gluten-free was the Deboles pasta. Rinsing it is key. It even works better than regular pasta in my baked spaghetti recipe. And the good thing is you are rinsing off all the starch so it does not spike your insulin levels. :D

I am so glad to hear that Walmart has gluten free foods, I have been buying items for my teen age grandson. The cost can add up pretty fast. Hope they carry the pizza crusts. He has really been missing the pizza.

Thanks for the info.

melcy44