This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alcohol And Gluten

Guest maybe I have celiac

How sensitive are you to alcohol? I am wondering if it's Gluten and not necessarily the alcohol that causes alcoholism and its related behaviors and disorders. I know wine is on the yes list being gluten-free, but I would like to hear from you...

Is anyone out there a wine drinker and is totally fine drinking it or not?

I think I have begun to notice the effects of alcohol only recently, love beer but never have been a heavy drink 4-5 drinks a week. I think I get very depressed for a week or two after having even one drink. I have such a glass is half full attitude that it isnt even funny. I think that alcohol and Gluten have contributed to my emotional demise since grade school.

I dont know maybe I will always be the person that I have been without gluten and alcohol.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I've always thought alcoholism probably has a close tie with candida, but whether candida is the cause or not, I don't know.

I think many alcoholics don't drink alcohol that has gluten, so I don't know whether that would be the cause ... it doesn't seem like it.

I can't have gluten or alcohol ... not related though. I have Lyme Disease, which is what causes the alcohol intolerance. I get hungover from very small amounts ... so I don't drink at all.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
How sensitive are you to alcohol? I am wondering if it's Gluten and not necessarily the alcohol that causes alcoholism and its related behaviors and disorders. I know wine is on the yes list being gluten-free, but I would like to hear from you...

I think I have begun to notice the effects of alcohol only recently, love beer but never have been a heavy drink 4-5 drinks a week. I think I get very depressed for a week or two after having even one drink. I have such a glass is half full attitude that it isnt even funny. I think that alcohol and Gluten have contributed to my emotional demise since grade school.

I dont know maybe I will always be the person that I have been without gluten and alcohol.

My son and I both react to gluten grain alcohols. Not everyone does. We become drunk much quicker and suffer the same after effects we do with a gluten food. One gluten grain vodka and I will be ill for over a week and have memory loss but I can have two or three potato vodkas or glasses of wine without even a hint of a hangover. I used to even feel 'drunk' and hungover from nonalcoholic beer and could never understand that one, now I do.

I have a brother who is clearly celiac and a alcoholic. His drink of preference is beer. He has tried to switch to wine or rum but has no luck. I do believe he is addicted to not only the alcohol in the beer but also the gluten.

You may want to try some of the nongluten beers that are out. Many are not at all bad. You should keep in mind though that all alcohol is hard on the system in over the smallest amounts. If you are new to gluten free it may be a good idea to avoid it for now and when you are symptom free challenge with it and see how you tolerate.

irish daveyboy Community Regular

Oh my GOD you've been drinking since grade school ? ?

Don't mind me ! just throwing in a bit of humourous GUFFAW!

I used to drink a lot (quite a lot at times) but quit about 18 months ago.

I was mostly a whiskey and beer drinker, but when I was Dx'd the beer drinking

stopped and then it was whiskey, wine and cider.

I had given up Smoking (which maybe triggered the onset of Adult Coeliac Disease)

a year earlier, and decided to quit my last major vice (the demon drink).

Let me tell anybody that decides to give up cold turkey (DON'T), I had the worst

experience of my life when i did, I thought I was going to 'DIE'.

I had uncontrollable shakes, my head felt it wanted to explode, I was irritable

uneasy, nauseaous, had the DT's (Dementia Tremins), I had earlier dumped

the remaining drink in the garbage.

Practically unable to walk, my legs wouldn't go where I wanted them to go,

I retrieved the booze from the garbage and poured a drink, my hand was shaking

so badly that I had to bend down to the drink otherwise the drink would have gone

everwhere except where it was suppossed to go, within 20 mins

all signs of the DT's had vanished and i was normal again.

I think it was just my brain kicking ass, saying to itself.

"you introduced me to alcohol, and you're not cutting me off now"

To cut a long story short I saw the Doc and with the aid of medication i quit.

Well there you are, that was a load of useless information, but maybe it got a grin.

Best Regards,

David

psawyer Proficient
Well there you are, that was a load of useless information, but maybe it got a grin.

It may have gotten a grin, perhaps, but it certainly was not useless information. I know several people who have been there and have found their way back. Your story may help others here. Thank you for telling it.

Oh my GOD you've been drinking since grade school ? ?

Don't mind me ! just throwing in a bit of humourous GUFFAW!

I used to drink a lot (quite a lot at times) but quit about 18 months ago.

I was mostly a whiskey and beer drinker, but when I was Dx'd the beer drinking

stopped and then it was whiskey, wine and cider.

I had given up Smoking (which maybe triggered the onset of Adult Coeliac Disease)

a year earlier, and decided to quit my last major vice (the demon drink).

Let me tell anybody that decides to give up cold turkey (DON'T), I had the worst

experience of my life when i did, I thought I was going to 'DIE'.

I had uncontrollable shakes, my head felt it wanted to explode, I was irritable

uneasy, nauseaous, had the DT's (Dementia Tremins), I had earlier dumped

the remaining drink in the garbage.

Practically unable to walk, my legs wouldn't go where I wanted them to go,

I retrieved the booze from the garbage and poured a drink, my hand was shaking

so badly that I had to bend down to the drink otherwise the drink would have gone

everwhere except where it was suppossed to go, within 20 mins

all signs of the DT's had vanished and i was normal again.

I think it was just my brain kicking ass, saying to itself.

"you introduced me to alcohol, and you're not cutting me off now"

To cut a long story short I saw the Doc and with the aid of medication i quit.

Best Regards,

David

Yeah grade school! Just kidding but I think grains have caused the hangover brain fog that I had when I was a kid. I have been trying to be gluten-free for the past month. Last weekend, has three winesand two beers. I have been depressed, mad since. I think I am going through withdrawal, no more alcohol.

I'll take any information out of personal experiences that you all offer. I welcome learning new things.

THanks

Jim

CarlaB Enthusiast

Jim, wine is okay.

There are gluten-free beers ... Bud makes one called Redbridge and it's widely available, even at Kroger.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

annie76 Apprentice

Actually, my diagnosis with celiac disease saved my life, because I am a recovering alcoholic. Prior to my dx, I drank beer, hard liquor, and lots of it...So after I was dianosed there went the beer...I found myself "switching" to other kinds of alcohol that I could have, which didn't work (of course) To make a very long story short the dx of celiac brought "quitting" drinking to my attention for the first time, so I then had to recognize the problem I had. Thank you celiac :) I also had horrible dt's, I had to get on meds for them also...Then came reality and rehab, yipee....So for me celiac saved my life, just wanted to share that...

irish daveyboy Community Regular
Actually, my diagnosis with celiac disease saved my life, because I am a recovering alcoholic. Prior to my dx, I drank beer, hard liquor, and lots of it...So after I was dianosed there went the beer...I found myself "switching" to other kinds of alcohol that I could have, which didn't work (of course) To make a very long story short the dx of celiac brought "quitting" drinking to my attention for the first time, so I then had to recognize the problem I had. Thank you celiac :) I also had horrible dt's, I had to get on meds for them also...Then came reality and rehab, yipee....So for me celiac saved my life, just wanted to share that...

Hi annie76,

It's 8am here in Ireland don't know what time zone your in so good night/morning

that should cover everything ?

Well here's your brother, I regularly drank a bottle of whiskey a day, every day.

I had got so used to that amount of alcohol and i even drove home one evening

with a patrol car right behind me, obviously my driving was ok or they would have

pulled me over and probably thrown the proverbial book at me.

It was only afterwards that I realised how much money I was wasting on booze

it was frightening, anyway that is in the past thank God and I'm a better person

I've regained control of my life.

We are not the only one's ! There are lot's more just like us, probably still in Denial.

Best Regards,

David

itsgareth Rookie

If it wasn't for heavily drinking alcohol I'm not sure as to whether I would have ever found out about my intolerance to gluten.

Back at Uni(or College as you guys across the pond say ;) ) I used to drink about four nights a week, and I mean heavy binge drinking. I soon found that different types of alcohol gave me a different type of hangover. If I drank beer or lager all night I'd feel awful for about a week and my stomach would be absolutely killing me and be enormous :huh: I couldn't work it out. My hold body would tingle as well and I'd also get sever paranoia and basically was unable to function properly for a few days. I then moved on to Vodka. Doubles. About 14 a night. The hangovers weren't so bad but I still got that paranoid feeling in the mornings. I thought I was going insane. During this time I would get sever stomach cramps during the week (obviously I was getting more intolerant to gluten in food etc).

So to be honest I've fell out with alcohol and don't really trust it at all. If I do drink I have Amaretto (made from almonds) and Coke, which tastes like Dr. Pepper. Sure I get a few funny looks at the bar but I'd rather have people think I'm a bit feminine than insane <_<

Jim, wine is okay.

There are gluten-free beers ... Bud makes one called Redbridge and it's widely available, even at Kroger.

THanks Carla,

I'm still doing the adding/subtracting thing and I definitely am more sensitive to beer. I dont know maybe I have Lyme, never been tested but have pulled a few ticks off of me. I am still undecided about wine so maybe in a few weeks I'll give it a try...

Jim

If it wasn't for heavily drinking alcohol I'm not sure as to whether I would have ever found out about my intolerance to gluten.

Back at Uni(or College as you guys across the pond say ;) ) I used to drink about four nights a week, and I mean heavy binge drinking. I soon found that different types of alcohol gave me a different type of hangover. If I drank beer or lager all night I'd feel awful for about a week and my stomach would be absolutely killing me and be enormous :huh: I couldn't work it out. My hold body would tingle as well and I'd also get sever paranoia and basically was unable to function properly for a few days. I then moved on to Vodka. Doubles. About 14 a night. The hangovers weren't so bad but I still got that paranoid feeling in the mornings. I thought I was going insane. During this time I would get sever stomach cramps during the week (obviously I was getting more intolerant to gluten in food etc).

So to be honest I've fell out with alcohol and don't really trust it at all. If I do drink I have Amaretto (made from almonds) and Coke, which tastes like Dr. Pepper. Sure I get a few funny looks at the bar but I'd rather have people think I'm a bit feminine than insane <_<

Yes, I went to Virginia Tech (College), those were the days (before the shootings), if only I had stopped drinking back then. I have the paranoia thing going on too and it doesnt take much with me, one beer and it goes on for a week like you. I never knew what caused it until last year and I still drink beer! Shows you how stupid I can be! Three beers last weekend and I am on edge still ugggghhhhhh!!!!! Has to be the Gluten! I think wine is ok for mebut still experimenting. I think I'll just quit alcohol all together and go with the Club Soda.

Thanks for letting us borrow your Queen a couple months ago, it was great to have her in Virginia, she has an 80% approval rating this side of the pond, I love her! :lol:

CarlaB Enthusiast
Well here's your brother, I regularly drank a bottle of whiskey a day, every day.

I'm glad you're on the right track now ... but I can't let it slide by without notice ... the Irish guy drinking a lot of whiskey :lol: .

I know it's not really funny, but I knew an Irish priest ... he's now in Jerusalem ... he told me so many Irish jokes that had to do with whiskey!

THanks Carla,

I'm still doing the adding/subtracting thing and I definitely am more sensitive to beer. I dont know maybe I have Lyme, never been tested but have pulled a few ticks off of me. I am still undecided about wine so maybe in a few weeks I'll give it a try...

Jim

Jim, if you get better with going gluten-free, then don't worry about the tick bites. Many people have been exposed to Lyme but are asymptomatic. However, if you end up with unresolved health issues after being gluten-free, then pursue the Lyme ... be sure to ask us about it because there are many of us here diagnosed and we know the ins and outs of proper testing.

annie76 Apprentice
Hi annie76,

It's 8am here in Ireland don't know what time zone your in so good night/morning

that should cover everything ?

I had got so used to that amount of alcohol and i even drove home one evening

with a patrol car right behind me, obviously my driving was ok or they would have

pulled me over and probably thrown the proverbial book at me.

It was only afterwards that I realised how much money I was wasting on booze

it was frightening, anyway that is in the past thank God and I'm a better person

I've regained control of my life.

We are not the only one's ! There are lot's more just like us, probably still in Denial.

Best Regards,

David

Yep, that is what I was doing too. I think a celiac dx can deffinetly help a person realize they have a problem. Its not only a pain in the A** to eat, but its also a pain to drink! B) Sometimes it stinks because not only do I not eat like everyone else, but I don't drink, and I too gave up the smokes. So, my only vice is coffee :rolleyes::wacko: I don't live in ireland, but I am Irish, ha, go figure... ;)

I'm glad you're on the right track now ... but I can't let it slide by without notice ... the Irish guy drinking a lot of whiskey :lol: .

I know it's not really funny, but I knew an Irish priest ... he's now in Jerusalem ... he told me so many Irish jokes that had to do with whiskey!

Jim, if you get better with going gluten-free, then don't worry about the tick bites. Many people have been exposed to Lyme but are asymptomatic. However, if you end up with unresolved health issues after being gluten-free, then pursue the Lyme ... be sure to ask us about it because there are many of us here diagnosed and we know the ins and outs of proper testing.

What is a good test for Lyme?

floridamae Newbie
My son and I both react to gluten grain alcohols. Not everyone does. We become drunk much quicker and suffer the same after effects we do with a gluten food. One gluten grain vodka and I will be ill for over a week and have memory loss but I can have two or three potato vodkas or glasses of wine without even a hint of a hangover. I used to even feel 'drunk' and hungover from nonalcoholic beer and could never understand that one, now I do.

I have a brother who is clearly celiac and a alcoholic. His drink of preference is beer. He has tried to switch to wine or rum but has no luck. I do believe he is addicted to not only the alcohol in the beer but also the gluten.

You may want to try some of the nongluten beers that are out. Many are not at all bad. You should keep in mind though that all alcohol is hard on the system in over the smallest amounts. If you are new to gluten free it may be a good idea to avoid it for now and when you are symptom free challenge with it and see how you tolerate.

How can you figure out what is potato vodka and what is a grain vodka? Any brand names you can recommend? So far, the only thing that I've found to drink is rum. Would love to have a vodka and tonic these hot summer nights. Thanks for any info

ravenwoodglass Mentor
How can you figure out what is potato vodka and what is a grain vodka? Any brand names you can recommend? So far, the only thing that I've found to drink is rum. Would love to have a vodka and tonic these hot summer nights. Thanks for any info

The labels on the potato vodkas will clearly say potato on them I think one of them was something like Luchswaka, I know the spelling is wrong but perhaps it will jog someone else's memory. They are always a top shelp item and your liquor store person will be able to help you identify them. Okay now I want a vodka and lemonade. ......... If I give into the craving I will write a few brand names down while I am at the store. :D

sneezydiva Apprentice

I don't have an official celiac diagnosis yet, but one of the many reasons I'm so convinced I'm gluten intolerant is my reactions to beer. I was a very moderate drinker in college because beer I'd get drunk easily and it always made me feel somewhat ill. Not just the morning after, but while I was drinking it. And I got "hungover" on very little. Then I went out for my 21st birthday, I drank a ton of daquaris and margaritas, and then went to a friend's house and drank wine. Why would I order beer when I could finally order all those cute mixed drinks? Well, despite having drunk so much alcohol, I woke up the next day feeling pretty good, especially considering how much I had had. Much better than when I drank just 2 bottles of beer. I played with drinking beer a few more times to make sure it wasn't my imagination, and then never touched it again. I don't "party hardy" anymore, but I still stick to wine mostly now, and the occasional margarita.

psawyer Proficient

I'm not a big drinker of vodka, but I do know that Smirnoff is made from USA-grown corn.

Edit: the image in my avatar is a traditional martini, made with Beefeater gin and Martini & Rossi vermouth. No "vodkatinis" here.

I'm not a big drinker of vodka, but I do know that Smirnoff is made from USA-grown corn.

Edit: the image in my avatar is a traditional martini, made with Beefeater gin and Martini & Rossi vermouth. No "vodkatinis" here.

I know I am sensitive to all alcohol, but I think beer has some long lasting effects, I think it takes a week to 10 days to get out of my system. My guess, it is Gluten sensitivity. I am not sure/undecided about wines and non-grain based alcohol and how they affect me. I am fairly new to all this so it is goign to take some time to figure out.

Polka Nut Rookie

I gave up on grain alcohol and beers a long time ago. I drink red wine. I think the alcohol did effect me to much, but now I suspect that the SULFITES therein may be causing some problems of late too. A recent endoscopy showed a mild esophagitis. I don't eat spicy foods. Wine is considered an "acid" type drink and may have produced to much acid in the stomach.

Is there a test for SULFITES sensitivity?

I gave up on grain alcohol and beers a long time ago. I drink red wine. I think the alcohol did effect me to much, but now I suspect that the SULFITES therein may be causing some problems of late too. A recent endoscopy showed a mild esophagitis. I don't eat spicy foods. Wine is considered an "acid" type drink and may have produced to much acid in the stomach.

I dont know about the test. How long does you sensitivity last?

I dont know about the test. How long does you sensitivity last?

I don't have an official celiac diagnosis yet, but one of the many reasons I'm so convinced I'm gluten intolerant is my reactions to beer. I was a very moderate drinker in college because beer I'd get drunk easily and it always made me feel somewhat ill. Not just the morning after, but while I was drinking it. And I got "hungover" on very little. Then I went out for my 21st birthday, I drank a ton of daquaris and margaritas, and then went to a friend's house and drank wine. Why would I order beer when I could finally order all those cute mixed drinks? Well, despite having drunk so much alcohol, I woke up the next day feeling pretty good, especially considering how much I had had. Much better than when I drank just 2 bottles of beer. I played with drinking beer a few more times to make sure it wasn't my imagination, and then never touched it again. I don't "party hardy" anymore, but I still stick to wine mostly now, and the occasional margarita.

Thanks for the feedback, my nickname in college was two can, I guess it was the beer, gluten

Belinda Meeker Apprentice

Jim,

I think I'm with ya on giving it up all together, cuz I bought some gluten-free Redbridge for son today and man O man for a 6 of bottles was 8 buck's, so there's no way it is worth this much to feel 'wacky' for a day lol

just had to add my 2 cents

I'am very proud to hear u giving it up tho I was never a drinker, so have no clue if I was having trobles with any alch. but when I was early 20's i did do wine and wans't bad :rolleyes:

Good luck in ur finds !!!!!!

Belinda

Archived