Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Word Must Be Getting Out

4 posts in this topic

In the past 48 hours I have met two total strangers both of whom have gone gluten free without any diagnosis from the medical profession. It was my understanding both did so after doing research on the internet concerning their gastro issues. To me this is very encouraging as more and more people are finding their way to this possible solution on their own.

One person has been on the diet for over a year and the other is just starting. Neither seemed overly concerned about the prospect of having to do this the rest of their life. Both were open about discussing their symptoms (just like most of us) and I did not sense any reservations on their part. I told them how impressed I was with their effort and wished both of them luck. Both encounters were in grocery stores. One worked as a cashier and the other was shopping in the gluten free section. Both were young women in their teens or early twenties. I sensed a lot of maturity when speaking to each of them. The word is getting around.

Tom

Ads by Google:

Tom:

In the two years since I was diagnoses and learned what in the world Celiac Disease, I have witnessed tremendous awareness.

You are familiar with my hometown. We had no gluten free products. This week the Food Lion (one of two grocery stores) put in a huge health food section and more gluten free products that I only have heard about from this site. Talk about a kid in a candy store.

It's also good product marketing to the "Boomer" generation.

I've been in the gluten free aisle in the store and I'm always amazed how friendly people are who are looking at the same time. I've been asked several times if I'm gluten free and how long etc., etc. People are so willing to share tips and I've been invited to come to meetings. The other day I was in Barnes and Noble looking at G.F. cook books and another gal comes over right by me and I noticed she pulls a G.F. cookbook down. It didn't take long and we were sharing stories of how long we had to suffer before we got the right diagnosis.

I'm so happy there is the awareness out there now. It's not such a loner disease anymore.

Gail

I think there are a lot of people out there that have gone gluten-free without a diagnosis. I know a lady from my office building that she & her daughter & a friend are all gluten-free & DF & they have no intention of getting a diagnosis, & they are very strict on the diet & do not cheat. They all had a lof of gastro problems and were constantly at the doctors office. No more, they laugh about not making appointments and spending all that money at the doctors office. they had everyone in their apartment complex researching on the internet for them - in addition to talking to me, & they said that all the people in the complex were amazed with what they learned...

With all the publicity that gluten-free is getting now, I think that there are a lot of people that have looked at their health & the health of their families and figurered it out & just threw out the flour etc. There are a lot of people out there that are now used to getting their info on the internet & they are checking it out.

I would also like to say that I have been amazed at the diagnosed celiac people that I know that do not belong to a support group and do not post to the internet etc. I live in a poor part of Houston & the local grocery has a nice gluten-free section and it is sometimes sold out of the best things, people are buying this stuff. & one of the main whole Foods here in town, sometimes you can go thru there & say yes, someone from out of town has been in here & claned out all the Lundberg Rice Chips, the brownie mixes etc etc. Sometimes I am guilty of buying the last three boxes of something myself, maybe picking up a few things to gift to my friends, etc.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Might have Celiac.. so many symptoms and pain!
      I have a requisition for blood tests, but there is no way that I am going back on gluten. The cramps and pain is horrendous. I've only been off for a couple weeks, and I'm also doing the IgG tests, not really sure what those will show.  I have suffered with hypoglycemia in the past, and when I wasn't overweight and always dieting, I guess celiac maybe didn't rear it's ugly head... until after I went through something difficult in my life and started eating more carbs and then gained weight. I was never officially diagnosed with diabetes, but have been in the "pre-diabetes' range for a while. And I read that Celiac is either caused by PCOS or PCOS causes Celiac... not sure...  
      Welcome Jane! If you seriously suspect celiac disease, you should get tested (blood test), but that means you must be eating gluten.  Even being gluten-free for as little as a few weeks can impact your tests results.  Here's more information: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/ In the meantime, it sounds like your blood sugar is wonky.  How often do you check your blood sugar?  Do you have a meter?   This is a good site that you might find helpful with your diabetes: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/ I hope you feel better soon! 
      Hello. This is my first post. I am at my wits end at this point. I've been experiencing some pretty crazy symptoms and although I don't have a diagnosis yet, I suspect I may have Celiac. A few months ago I threw up after eating some pasta, I felt like I was going to pass out actually and it felt like I was going to die! I thought it was food poisoning..  Then I had some VERY BAD fatigue... I was driving once and I literally wanted to get out of the car and lie down on the pavement! It happened again about 3 weeks ago, I was in the store and fatigue hit me like a ton of bricks.. I had to leave!  I have been trying to lose weight so I stopped eating all wheat, bread, etc.... well what happened truly scared me. I take Metformin for PCOS/pre-diabetes by the way. Anyway, I woke up had something to eat and an hour later felt like I was going to collapse. My heart was beating so fast, thought I was having a heart attack! I went to the doctor and I nearly passed out again in the office, they gave me some sugar to bring up my blood sugar and then I felt okay. My neck feels swollen, and like there is something in my throat...  So I've been off gluten/wheat/bread/pasta..etc. for about 2 weeks. At first I felt kind of okay, hmmm... but now I am entering week 3 and I feel like I'm dying! The hunger is still bad... although not as horrendous as before stopping gluten... but the hunger just doesn't want to calm down. I eat and less than an hour later I'm hungry again.  Can someone provide some advice, thoughts, anything at this point that can help me figure out what to do next... I'm losing my mind and I feel so depressed    
    • Milling vs buying gluten-free flour
      Okay then you have a clean grain mill & can go to town. I have only done rice in mine because I found that either my husband or myself don't really car for the consistency or flavors imparted by things like coconut flour, nut flours, pea or bean flours. Mostly the hubs is the big stick in the wheel. I like nut flours but he doesn't. For rice flours, I would say it's cheaper to mill them but it's also messier & more time consuming. I understand my NutriMill is far less messy than most millers (according to reviews) but it's still messy. In fact, I take it outside when I'm going to use it & let the mess be out there until all the grinding is done. So for me, it's a trade off & I would say about even steven.
    • Food tolerance issues post-diagnosis
      I have an omelette every  morning and mix up the filling, different stir fried veggies, spinach, avocado etc.  Super nutritious and can keep me going all day if need be.   I went awhile after gluten-free before eating cereal and now I eat it with coconut milk, Tesco's own brand is nice enough. Maybe an option if you want to experiment with avoiding dairy for awhile whilst you heal? Best of luck!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jen5632