This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn Meal, Corn Grits, Etc

christtheking

christtheking Contributor

I wonder if there is cross contam. with 100% Corn products, corn meal, corn grits, corn cereal, etc. Any info would be great!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:rolleyes: the cross contamination issue depends on the company you are dealing with--some are very careful and some will not commit to having dedicated lines--some process the corn products on the same lines as the wheat product and there can be cross contamination occuring--it is becoming more and more often that companies say their lines are not committed because they cover themselves with this line--many of the products are safe, but we are guinea pigs in this respect--it's really up to us to determine what we try or dont try--sorry, not the answer you may have wanted but the honest truth ;) deb
seeking-wholeness Explorer

Bob's Red Mill's Mighty Tasty gluten-free Hot Cereal is pretty much yellow grits with a bit of brown rice, sorghum, and buckwheat added. Of course, its flavor is not quite the same as pure cornmeal or grits. It's still good, though.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other corn products (even from Bob's Red Mill) that are tested for gluten contamination. If anyone is aware of a company that does test corn meal, I would love to know about it!

--Sarah

Kim Explorer

My understanding is that all Bob's Red Mill corn products are milled in their gluten (not gluten free) facility (they have one of each) and therefore they are not labelled glutenfree and they'll tell you there could be cross contamination. You may wish to call.

Kim.

• 1 year later...
Nanny Martin Newbie

I have noticed that many bags of cornmeal of the supermarket shelves now say they are manufactured in a facility that also manufacturers wheat. I even called several of the ones on the shelf that did not say that and they said that their product was also manufactured in a facility that manufactured wheat. I called Bob Red Mill's and Arrowhead to see about how they manufactured their "gluten free cornmeal" they said they manufactured it in on the same machine they processed wheat but they did clean the machine inbetween processing. They said they could not guarantee it free of cross contamination. I don't know about you - but I think that is misleading. When I buy a product that says gluten free I don't feel I should have to worry about cross contamination. I don't care if there is only a trace of gluten in the product - since my son is HIGHLY sensitive to gluten I can not take the risk. I have searched the internet and have yet to find a manufacturer of cornmeal that uses a dedicated grinder. Any suggestions? The only answer I have so far is to buy a table top grinder (about $250) and grind the cornmeal myself.

HawkFire Explorer

I have quaker quick grits and do fine with them. Is there a history of troubles with them?

debmidge Rising Star

Quaker doesn't make gluten-free facility claim on their grits or corn meal, so yes they can be a problem.

I buy corn meal and corn flour from Kinnickinnick ( I wish I could spell it) in Canada by mail order. Takes a 2 day turn around and is always fresh. I wish they sold grits.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator
My understanding is that all Bob's Red Mill corn products are milled in their gluten (not gluten free) facility (they have one of each) and therefore they are not labelled glutenfree and they'll tell you there could be cross contamination. You may wish to call.

Kim.

when i first went gluten-free, i didn't realize there were two facilities, and got horribly ill and went downhill post diagnosis having a mug of hot carob (from bob's carob) every morning.

i recommend not using anything not made in their gluten-free facility. everything labelled GLUTEN-FREE is safe for bob's... the other things (the polenta, grits, and carob among them) are NOT okay.

Archived