This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chuy's Tex-mex

zkat

zkat Apprentice

We were celebrating a friends birthday last night and went to Chuy's on Knox Henderson in Dallas. It was a great experience. First when I talked to the bartender, I asked about margarita's and the top shelf is not a mix, with all safe ingredients. Yum!

Next when we got to the table, I explained to the waiter that I was allergic to wheat and I would be complicated, but I am sorry. (With a very sweet smile). I ordered vegetable enchiladas with ranchero sauce and double checked everything with him, especially the Ranchero sauce. He later returned to the table and told me the ranchero was with a ruex, so he substituted the tomatillo sauce for me. Then he reassured me the tortillas were 100% corn and made in the resturant.

Overall it was a great time. I didn't get sick, and he took a lot of time with me on a busy Sat. night. I felt special. No one gave me any grief about ingredients and he was educated and knew about Ruex. :lol:

Kat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Karen B. Explorer

I used to love eating at Chuy's but I haven't tried it since the Celiac diagniosis.

Thanks for the info, I'll give them a try!

CarlaB Enthusiast

I miss Chuy's!!!! :( I used to live in Austin.

Karen B. Explorer
I miss Chuy's!!!! :( I used to live in Austin.

I hear you! I was thrilled when they opened a location in Houston, before that I had to wait for a trip to Dallas.

grey Explorer

Chuy's! I went to grad school in Austin. Great to know that they were accomodating. Oh, do I miss Austin food.

zkat Apprentice

I e-mailed the Chuy's corporate office yesterday to let them know how much I enjoyed dining there Sat. night and to give praise to our waiter. They responded with the e-mail below:

Katrisha-

Thanks for writing, we love to get feedback like yours! I'm passing

along your comments to the Dallas location, their general manager, and

area directors. I also wanted to let you know that we're in the process

of putting together a comprehensive list of our gluten-free menu items

to make ordering easier for customers like yourself. Please let me know

if you need anything else!

Love,

Chuy

This is very exciting! I have also recieved similiar feedback from Mi Cocina resturants (for those in the Dallas area) where M Group stated they are also working on a gluten free menu.

Kat.

Cherry Tart Apprentice

Also had a great experience at the Chuy's in Austin. I would also suggest, the Shady Grove, the Hula Hut, and Amy's Ice Cream :D They were all very accommodating. They even brought out their recipe book so I could browse the ingredients (Amy's even called the owner at home on a Friday night!). In addition, the WildWood Art Cafe (just on the outskirts of Austin) has a great gluten-free bakery and menu list. Oh how I miss Austin and the great gluten-free food :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

zkat Apprentice

That is good to know. I need to book mark this thread since I will be going to Austin for a Soccer tourney in Oct. It will be the first out of town soccer tourney since going gluten-free, though not the first overnight trip. There is a huge difference between deciding on a safe place to eat with my husband and getting 16 women to agree on a place that is safe ;)

I have also had a really good reception at Romeo's in Austin at my SIL's wedding reception. The waitstaff even told me how to order when I go in just regular for dinner (rather than cater) They said to make sure the order is marked "Allergen aware" and they will make sure your dinner is safe.

tiffjake Enthusiast

I live very close to Austin and go there at least once a week. I LOVE Chuys! They are amazing!! Also, WildWood Art Cafe' has the most amazing gluten-free cake, "dingdongs", and other sweets! I can also recomend the Hula Hut, Maudies Tex Mex, North by Northwest, Whole Foods on Lamar (the cafe' area), Amy's Icecream........There are several great places, you can check with the local support group, Alamo Celiac, for more info. Francie Kelley is the Austin Chair of the support group, and she is super friendly. I think the website is AlamoCeliac.org. We might be moving to Colorado soon, and I am so bummed!!! There is also a great place in San Antonio called Little Aussie Bakery that is ALL Gluten-Free!!!! THE WHOLE PLACE!!!

• 2 weeks later...
ElenaDragon Explorer

I'm glad I found this thread - thanks! My office group is going to Chuy's next Monday for a birthday, and I was going to skip it, but maybe I can still go. :) Does anyone have any other suggestions about what to get there? Obviously corn tortillas, but what else is safe? I am also dairy free, so cheese is out. I don't eat red meat, but chicken and/or veggies are great.

• 5 months later...
jakers86 Newbie

:o Hi Kat sounds like you had a better experience at Chuy's than I did. I went to the Chuy's near my sister's house in Agoura Hills California and ordered the "Veggie Burrito" and the manager actually took my order (Leanne?, Leena?) and served me the veggie burrito but to my horror and shock it was filled with SPICY GROUND BEEF. I took one bite and almost hurled not having eaten meat in over a decade. My brother-in-law went up to the manager with said burrito and told her there must have been a mistake and her reply was "No, you ordered the chico's burrito, I'm not making you a new burrito just because you CLAIM to have ordered differently." We were absolutely mortified. My brother threw in a couple expletives and demanded to speak with the person in charge, and that's when we found out it was her. We didn't get a refund and left without eating for fear of what else might be in our food. We swore to never set foot in a Chuy's again, which is unfortunate because there is one near my house in Phoenix.

Jazmine

tiffjake Enthusiast
:o Hi Kat sounds like you had a better experience at Chuy's than I did. I went to the Chuy's near my sister's house in Agoura Hills California and ordered the "Veggie Burrito" and the manager actually took my order (Leanne?, Leena?) and served me the veggie burrito but to my horror and shock it was filled with SPICY GROUND BEEF. I took one bite and almost hurled not having eaten meat in over a decade. My brother-in-law went up to the manager with said burrito and told her there must have been a mistake and her reply was "No, you ordered the chico's burrito, I'm not making you a new burrito just because you CLAIM to have ordered differently." We were absolutely mortified. My brother threw in a couple expletives and demanded to speak with the person in charge, and that's when we found out it was her. We didn't get a refund and left without eating for fear of what else might be in our food. We swore to never set foot in a Chuy's again, which is unfortunate because there is one near my house in Phoenix.

Jazmine

Hey Jazmine, I think these are different places. The Chuy's in Texas are only in Texas. There are only three locations, and they are a local thing. That sounds like a different chain, with the same name though. Stinks though, I wish there were Chuy's (like in Austin) everywhere!!!

CarlaB Enthusiast
Hey Jazmine, I think these are different places. The Chuy's in Texas are only in Texas. There are only three locations, and they are a local thing. That sounds like a different chain, with the same name though. Stinks though, I wish there were Chuy's (like in Austin) everywhere!!!

Yeah, I think you're right! I went to Chuys.com and they are only in Texas .... they have a lot more than three locations now, though. GREAT restaurant ... I miss it ... :(

hlm34 Apprentice

I was just visiting austin a few weeks ago. Went to Chuy's and was sad that their queso was not gluten-free. I went to several restaurants that had gluten-free queso. We also ate at Z Tejas which has a gluten free menu.

glutenfree01 Newbie

I'm with you tiffjake, I went to the Little Aussie Bakery for the first time last week and had the most incredible bread I cried. I mean I actually cried! It was so soft and exactly like regular bread, except tastier. My son was only just diagnosed last year and he thinks it's even better than the bread I used to give him. Even my Husband loves it and he's not even celiac! I'm going to try the pizza next, they look incredible. Can't wait to get back to San Antonio..

• 3 weeks later...
tiffjake Enthusiast
I'm with you tiffjake, I went to the Little Aussie Bakery for the first time last week and had the most incredible bread I cried. I mean I actually cried! It was so soft and exactly like regular bread, except tastier. My son was only just diagnosed last year and he thinks it's even better than the bread I used to give him. Even my Husband loves it and he's not even celiac! I'm going to try the pizza next, they look incredible. Can't wait to get back to San Antonio..

Yeah, it was really cool to go there and order ANYTHING and know that it was gluten-free because the whole place is ONLY gluten-free! Very Cool! (Talking about Little Aussie Bakery, NOT Chuys!)

• 4 weeks later...
aliciam Newbie
We were celebrating a friends birthday last night and went to Chuy's on Knox Henderson in Dallas. It was a great experience. First when I talked to the bartender, I asked about margarita's and the top shelf is not a mix, with all safe ingredients. Yum!

Next when we got to the table, I explained to the waiter that I was allergic to wheat and I would be complicated, but I am sorry. (With a very sweet smile). I ordered vegetable enchiladas with ranchero sauce and double checked everything with him, especially the Ranchero sauce. He later returned to the table and told me the ranchero was with a ruex, so he substituted the tomatillo sauce for me. Then he reassured me the tortillas were 100% corn and made in the resturant.

Overall it was a great time. I didn't get sick, and he took a lot of time with me on a busy Sat. night. I felt special. No one gave me any grief about ingredients and he was educated and knew about Ruex. :lol:

Kat.

Hi Kat!

Do you know what else we can eat off the Chuy's menu? Sorry to ask, but what is Ruex? Thanks for your help.

Alicia

• 1 month later...
Clibers64 Newbie

Hey yeah I checked out the little aussie bakery too and it was fantastic! Pizza, Bread, Pretzels Cookies and lunches, I took a whole bag of samples away and love the place I'm back there almost every week now. This place is incredible. EVERYTHING IS GLUTEN FREE

• 6 months later...
lishakelly Newbie

FYI: I referred a friend to Chuy's b/c I eat there and seem to be ok, but she said this is the menu they gave to her when she asked what was gluten free. News to me! I need to do some investigating. Maybe they are being cautious about cc?

Open Original Shared Link

• 4 years later...
lucyhd Newbie

Hi everyone! I am going tonight with a group of coworkers to Chuy's. I've tried to contact the restaurant twice this week via email with no response, so i called and spoke with a very nice woman who offered to email the menu directly to me. 

The Gluten Free Menu reads: 

Appetizers: 

Guacamole (no chips, sub corn tortillas)

Cheese Quesadilla (sub corn tortillas)

Salads:

Mexi-Cob Salad (no meat)

Large Dinner Salad

***Dressing: Cilantro Vinaigrette

Sides:

Corn

Blue Corn Tortillas

Tacos: 

Guacamole Soft Tacos (sub corn tortillas, no rice)

Enchiladas:

Veggie Enchiladas, no sauce, no rice

Combinations:

#3 Taco & Enchilada, Sub Guacamole Soft Taco on Corn Tortilla, With Veggie Enchilada, no Sauce, no Rice

Archived