19 replies to this topic

#1 zkat

zkat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:35 AM

We were celebrating a friends birthday last night and went to Chuy's on Knox Henderson in Dallas. It was a great experience. First when I talked to the bartender, I asked about margarita's and the top shelf is not a mix, with all safe ingredients. Yum!

Next when we got to the table, I explained to the waiter that I was allergic to wheat and I would be complicated, but I am sorry. (With a very sweet smile). I ordered vegetable enchiladas with ranchero sauce and double checked everything with him, especially the Ranchero sauce. He later returned to the table and told me the ranchero was with a ruex, so he substituted the tomatillo sauce for me. Then he reassured me the tortillas were 100% corn and made in the resturant.

Overall it was a great time. I didn't get sick, and he took a lot of time with me on a busy Sat. night. I felt special. No one gave me any grief about ingredients and he was educated and knew about Ruex. :lol:

Kat.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Karen B.

Karen B.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:57 AM

I used to love eating at Chuy's but I haven't tried it since the Celiac diagniosis.

Thanks for the info, I'll give them a try!
Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

#3 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:33 AM

I miss Chuy's!!!! :( I used to live in Austin.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#4 Karen B.

Karen B.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:54 AM

I miss Chuy's!!!! :( I used to live in Austin.

I hear you! I was thrilled when they opened a location in Houston, before that I had to wait for a trip to Dallas.
Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

#5 grey

grey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:14 AM

Chuy's! I went to grad school in Austin. Great to know that they were accomodating. Oh, do I miss Austin food.

#6 zkat

zkat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:36 AM

I e-mailed the Chuy's corporate office yesterday to let them know how much I enjoyed dining there Sat. night and to give praise to our waiter. They responded with the e-mail below:

Katrisha-
Thanks for writing, we love to get feedback like yours! I'm passing
along your comments to the Dallas location, their general manager, and
area directors. I also wanted to let you know that we're in the process
of putting together a comprehensive list of our gluten-free menu items
to make ordering easier for customers like yourself. Please let me know
if you need anything else!

Love,
Chuy

This is very exciting! I have also recieved similiar feedback from Mi Cocina resturants (for those in the Dallas area) where M Group stated they are also working on a gluten free menu.

Kat.

#7 Cherry Tart

Cherry Tart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:51 AM

Also had a great experience at the Chuy's in Austin. I would also suggest, the Shady Grove, the Hula Hut, and Amy's Ice Cream :D They were all very accommodating. They even brought out their recipe book so I could browse the ingredients (Amy's even called the owner at home on a Friday night!). In addition, the WildWood Art Cafe (just on the outskirts of Austin) has a great gluten-free bakery and menu list. Oh how I miss Austin and the great gluten-free food :(
Diagnosed & gluten-free - April 2004 :)

#8 zkat

zkat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

That is good to know. I need to book mark this thread since I will be going to Austin for a Soccer tourney in Oct. It will be the first out of town soccer tourney since going gluten-free, though not the first overnight trip. There is a huge difference between deciding on a safe place to eat with my husband and getting 16 women to agree on a place that is safe ;)

I have also had a really good reception at Romeo's in Austin at my SIL's wedding reception. The waitstaff even told me how to order when I go in just regular for dinner (rather than cater) They said to make sure the order is marked "Allergen aware" and they will make sure your dinner is safe.

#9 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:14 PM

I live very close to Austin and go there at least once a week. I LOVE Chuys! They are amazing!! Also, WildWood Art Cafe' has the most amazing gluten-free cake, "dingdongs", and other sweets! I can also recomend the Hula Hut, Maudies Tex Mex, North by Northwest, Whole Foods on Lamar (the cafe' area), Amy's Icecream........There are several great places, you can check with the local support group, Alamo Celiac, for more info. Francie Kelley is the Austin Chair of the support group, and she is super friendly. I think the website is AlamoCeliac.org. We might be moving to Colorado soon, and I am so bummed!!! There is also a great place in San Antonio called Little Aussie Bakery that is ALL Gluten-Free!!!! THE WHOLE PLACE!!!
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#10 ElenaDragon

ElenaDragon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:26 AM

I'm glad I found this thread - thanks! My office group is going to Chuy's next Monday for a birthday, and I was going to skip it, but maybe I can still go. :) Does anyone have any other suggestions about what to get there? Obviously corn tortillas, but what else is safe? I am also dairy free, so cheese is out. I don't eat red meat, but chicken and/or veggies are great.

#11 jakers86

jakers86

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:39 AM

:o Hi Kat sounds like you had a better experience at Chuy's than I did. I went to the Chuy's near my sister's house in Agoura Hills California and ordered the "Veggie Burrito" and the manager actually took my order (Leanne?, Leena?) and served me the veggie burrito but to my horror and shock it was filled with SPICY GROUND BEEF. I took one bite and almost hurled not having eaten meat in over a decade. My brother-in-law went up to the manager with said burrito and told her there must have been a mistake and her reply was "No, you ordered the chico's burrito, I'm not making you a new burrito just because you CLAIM to have ordered differently." We were absolutely mortified. My brother threw in a couple expletives and demanded to speak with the person in charge, and that's when we found out it was her. We didn't get a refund and left without eating for fear of what else might be in our food. We swore to never set foot in a Chuy's again, which is unfortunate because there is one near my house in Phoenix.

Jazmine

#12 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:15 PM

:o Hi Kat sounds like you had a better experience at Chuy's than I did. I went to the Chuy's near my sister's house in Agoura Hills California and ordered the "Veggie Burrito" and the manager actually took my order (Leanne?, Leena?) and served me the veggie burrito but to my horror and shock it was filled with SPICY GROUND BEEF. I took one bite and almost hurled not having eaten meat in over a decade. My brother-in-law went up to the manager with said burrito and told her there must have been a mistake and her reply was "No, you ordered the chico's burrito, I'm not making you a new burrito just because you CLAIM to have ordered differently." We were absolutely mortified. My brother threw in a couple expletives and demanded to speak with the person in charge, and that's when we found out it was her. We didn't get a refund and left without eating for fear of what else might be in our food. We swore to never set foot in a Chuy's again, which is unfortunate because there is one near my house in Phoenix.

Jazmine

Hey Jazmine, I think these are different places. The Chuy's in Texas are only in Texas. There are only three locations, and they are a local thing. That sounds like a different chain, with the same name though. Stinks though, I wish there were Chuy's (like in Austin) everywhere!!!
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#13 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

Hey Jazmine, I think these are different places. The Chuy's in Texas are only in Texas. There are only three locations, and they are a local thing. That sounds like a different chain, with the same name though. Stinks though, I wish there were Chuy's (like in Austin) everywhere!!!

Yeah, I think you're right! I went to Chuys.com and they are only in Texas .... they have a lot more than three locations now, though. GREAT restaurant ... I miss it ... :(
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#14 hlm34

hlm34

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:24 PM

I was just visiting austin a few weeks ago. Went to Chuy's and was sad that their queso was not gluten-free. I went to several restaurants that had gluten-free queso. We also ate at Z Tejas which has a gluten free menu.

#15 glutenfree01

glutenfree01

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

I'm with you tiffjake, I went to the Little Aussie Bakery for the first time last week and had the most incredible bread I cried. I mean I actually cried! It was so soft and exactly like regular bread, except tastier. My son was only just diagnosed last year and he thinks it's even better than the bread I used to give him. Even my Husband loves it and he's not even celiac! I'm going to try the pizza next, they look incredible. Can't wait to get back to San Antonio..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: