This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can I Take gluten-free Bread Into Canada?

Roger K

Roger K Newbie

I'm in the UK and will be visiting Canada in August/September, firstly Toronto for a few days, then taking the train to Jasper to look around before finally going on to Vancouver for two weeks. I'd like to take some gluten-free bread with me just to save time, but after looking on the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) website I'm still not at all sure whether they'll allow it. Does anyone have any experience of taking gluten-free food into Canada? Alternatively can anyone tell me whether gluten-free bread is readily available in Toronto and Vancouver supermarkets? I haven't found anyone over here who knows.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RosR Newbie

I can't imagine that you would have any problems bringing your own bread. I often travel with my own bread in and out of Canada. However, in Toronto, there are many places to buy it: Wholefoods, some grocery stores like Loblaws and Dominion, and at healthfood stores. I'm sure it is as easy to find in Vancouver as well.

Cruiser Bob Newbie

Why take bread to Canada? Their bread is way better than what we get in USA. I actually go to Canada to get bread. There is a gluten-free Bakery in Vancouver and there is Kinnikinnik somewhere on the left side of the Canada. Bob

Juliebove Rising Star

AFAIK, the only food you can't take into Canada is fresh fruit or vegetables.

debmidge Rising Star

Can't resist!

It depends on what you're putting in your bread.....I hope they don't stop you at the border.

LL04 Newbie

I live in Vancouver and you can get great fresh bread at the Rice Bakery or Panno Rizo both located there or at the Mountain Top Bakery in North Vancouver. The Rice Bakery is a division of Choices Markets which is also located in Vancouver, Burnaby and South Surrey and they always have a great selection of fresh gluten-free bread.

Hope this helps,

Lauralee

Roger K Newbie

Great replies - I'll take some bread in for the first day or two then buy some. I'll enter it on the customs form and if they seize it I'll eat cake!

Thanks everyone

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I'll email my sister who works for Canadian Border Services and ask her. Meanwhile, my thought is if it's in your checked luggage as you arrive from UK it shouldn't be a problem. I agree that it's usually fresh fruit/veg/honey that can't come across borders.

We travelled to the US last winter and the guy asked if we had any food and we said yes, told him what it was and there was no problem.

Roger K Newbie

Thanks Linda. I'm probably showing signs of advanced paranoia, but I've been conditioned by visits to Oz where they threaten to string you up and then display your head on Sydney Harbour bridge if you try to enter with too many breakfast stains on your shirt. Canada might be more laid-back, but the Border Services' website doesn't give that impression.

Roger

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Here is my sister's response (She works for Cdn Border Services):

Fruit and veg does cross regularly but we don't let potatoes or anything with soil, but seriously can you check every car for that? No. People buy groceries in the US all the time because there 's no tax on groceries. There is a limit on some stuff like butter, cheese and turkeys.

I don't see why gluten-free bread would pose a problem but if you want to be really sure check with www.cfia.gc.ca they might have something there or you can call the Food Inspection Agency. I doubt any BSO at the airport would care about it but the agriculture dog might sit on it, though they usually go for meat and plant stuffs.

Roger K Newbie

Looks like I won't have a problem - I'll take the bread with me but I'll declare it at the airport. Many thanks to you and your sister for your help.

Roger

• 1 year later...
Mitsy Newbie

This seems like the only place I can really post this - sorry if its a little off topic..

My husband and I have a 10 hour layover in Vancouver Airport (YVR). Does anyone know if any of the many restaurants have any good gluten free stuff, other than reverting to the order of steamed veggies, no seasoning?

Also, I too will be bringing some gluten-free snacks. They're all prepackaged, but will be in my carry-on. Is it safe to assume they will be allowed (like the gluten-free bread another poster mentioned). Is there any limit? (The vancouver layover is just part of a much longer trip, so we will be bringing a good bit of food with us).

Thanks!!

MauriceReed Newbie

Hi Roger. do you get your bread on prescription? My wife does so it is in effect 'medication' I would think that if you take some in along with copies of your prescriptions from the doctors they would see that it is ok.

Mind you, I do know that many countries including the USA, Australia etc are very strict on forbidding the importation of foodstuffs by individuals.

I think that as the bread will be sealed up that it would be ok but it would propbably be down to the mood of the person checking you through. They might be coeliac aware and say Ok, on the other hand it could be a grunt who just says NO - importing food is forbidden.

Ursa Major Collaborator

When I came back from Germany last year, I brought lots of buckwheat bread and crisp bread back with me, as I am unable to buy anything like it here.

When my nephew came to visit recently, he had a quarter of his suitcase filled with bread he brought for me.

There is no need to declare that kind of thing. I have traveled quite a bit, and NEVER had a problem, other than having an apple taken away that should have been eaten on the airplane (they don't stop you from taking food in your carry on to eat during the flight, unless it contains fluid).

MNBeth Explorer
My husband and I have a 10 hour layover in Vancouver Airport (YVR). Does anyone know if any of the many restaurants have any good gluten free stuff, other than reverting to the order of steamed veggies, no seasoning?

We flew in and out of YVR in June, but didn't really eat much. We surveyed all the quick places, but all the prep areas were so compact that I was too worried about CC to try anything from the grills. One place had some big fruit bowls; my son had one of those, I think I had a banana.

Probably the safest bet would be one of the nicer, sit-down restaurants, but I don't have any specific information about any of them. Here's the list of food options at the airport, in case anyone has information on any of them that I don't:

Bars & Restaurants

Hanami Japanese Restaurant

Jetside Bar

Koho Restaurant and Bar

Medallist Bar & Grill

Palomino Bar & Grill

Stanley's Happy Landing Lounge

Voyages

Casual Dining

Galiano Caf

Mitsy Newbie
We flew in and out of YVR in June, but didn't really eat much. We surveyed all the quick places, but all the prep areas were so compact that I was too worried about CC to try anything from the grills. One place had some big fruit bowls; my son had one of those, I think I had a banana.

I packed all kinds of prepackaged snacks in my carry-on and checked luggage, declared them, and had no problem. They never even looked at them.

Hope it goes well for you!

Beth

Thanks Beth. I've stocked up on things like beef jerky and dried fruit/trail mix, but it may be nice to eat some "real food" during those ten hours.

I found that list of restaurants online too, but they all have canadian e numbers (I'm in the US). Anybody out there ever eaten at those? I'll try to look them up online, I have only ever heard of a few of the fast food / coffee places.

Thanks!

theceliachusband Rookie

On the way to Banff/Jasper, if you drive and got time, stop in Cochrane. About 35 minutes west of Calgary.

There you can find a small place where they offer 100% gluten free baked goods like breads, cakes and pastries.

G.F. PATISSERIE, 122 - 3rd Avenue West

Open Wednesday to Saturday. Sunday's they sell at the Bearspaw Farmers Market.

Email: ame Advertisement@gmail.com

DISCLAIMER: MY WIFE VICTORIA OWNS THAT PLACE

Archived