Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

My Beer Test

21 posts in this topic

I've long thought that the gluten levels in beer, especially products like Bud Light and Amstel Light, do not meet the level of being hazardous to Celiacs. So, I thought I'd test this. Ever since my diagnosis, I go and get blood tests every six months to check on my antibody counts. I also had a follow-up endoscopy to check on my Barrett's Esophagus. While they were in there, they did another Celiac biopsy to see how things have progressed since going gluten free. Well, before my endoscopy and my last blood test, I starting drinking some Bud Light and Amstel Light. Keep in mind, beer NEVER gave me a problem. I'd usually get bloated and gassy after eating cereal or bread, but beer was never an issue. So, low and behold, my antibody counts are "perfect" and my small intestine is "completely healed."

Here's the question, once the "gluten free" labeling rule is made effective hopefully next year, will beer companies put their products to the test and see if they meet the "gluten free" threshold in ppm? I'll bet Bud Light, Amstel Light, and Rolling Rock will easily fall under the threshold. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Ads by Google:

I would start emailing/contacting companies to see if they will test!

That said I reacted to beer everytime I drank it and I was a Bud light drinker. But everyone's sensitivity level is diffrent!

I have DH and Bud Light was a HUGE trigger for me. The Redbridge beer is pretty tasty, that is what I drink.

Stephanie

If I have Redbridge available, I'll choose that just to be extra safe, but I'm going to a music festival this weekend and they don't allow glass bottles, so I will likely enjoy some Bud Light cans while I'm there. Everyone's sensitivity is different, but several of the "experts" refuse to admit that point.

Mmmm...BEER! :D Unfortunately, beer was one of the first things I noticed I had a problem with. One day (seemingly out of the blue), having a beer out with friends left me burping all night :wacko:, gassy, and bloated. I was never able to drink beer normally (the way I had for years) again. More and more symptoms progressed until I had "full-blown" Celiac symtoms and was finally Dx'd. It was a very sad day for my taste buds. :(

On my first date with my now fiance (about 1 month prior to my Celiac dx), I had a beer at dinner, and let out a *gigantic* burp on the ride home. Lol! Needless to say, that somehow worked in my favor.

I drink Le Messenger now, it's actually good. I used to drink Canadian and Bud, both dry beers. This one is close for a gluten-free beer.

I think that if you don't react, and your antibodies are negative, then people have to make their own choices. Just be sure that you follow up regularily with your antibody testing, because sometimes it can take awhile of continued exposure before damage shows up in many people. Also, while I am a fan of bloodwork for being pretty accurate most of the time, it is true that it can give a false negative if the amount of intestinal damage is very low. It's up to you if you're OK with that. We are all adults here and only human, so that's why it's a personal choice! Also, many Celiacs don't seem to be that sensitive to barley as opposed to wheat.

I think *most* doctors realize that everyone is different in terms of sensitivity and damage.

Beer always made me sick. Since the amount of gluten in beer is relatively low, you're probably not doing a lot of damage, but I'm sure there will be some. That level of damage is not something I am willing to risk.

Beer always made me sick. Since the amount of gluten in beer is relatively low, you're probably not doing a lot of damage, but I'm sure there will be some. That level of damage is not something I am willing to risk.

I had quit drinking beer over a month ago. ON the 4th thought I would try one. WRONG. Was instantly sick. I was sick the next day as well. I have found it to be a big trigger.

Yeah, beer gets me. Lol. I've discovered since I switched from drinking mostly beer (the non-gluten-free kind) to drinking wine and liquor, "hangovers" aren't nearly as miserable as I once thought they were.

I agree w/ the hangovers! When I had one after drinking beer. Even 3 or 4 and I was throwing up the next day or nauseous. Couldn't eat. Now if i have a few mixed drinks (even a few too many) I can function the next day. Yes to a headache but I can eat. There is clearly a difference in how I feel.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beeeeeeeer . . . . . . .

Had to quit 5-7 yrs ago (been 100% gluten-free going on 4yrs but went nearly gluten-free well before).

There was a time when I was about as much a beer connoisseur as a non-pro could be.

I could distinguish about all of the major dometics & more popular imports in blind taste-tests. Friends stopped trying to stump me I swear!! :lol::P

<hmmm this one is feldschlossen-hopfenperle, that's zurich lowie> :lol:

So of course I was thrilled each time a gluten-free beer showed up. Redbridge is by far my fav.

I did "the dance of joy" when I ran into it at my closest big chain grocery store! :)

No more special trips to Whole Foods, Sunflower or Sprouts yay!

Weird little question - I remember in the old pre-celiac days having strange heartburn/indigestion every time after having Henry Weinhard's. (Not many times - I did learn)

Have wondered for quite awhile whether there's something extra-gluteny about it.

Any comments or similar experiences w/ Henry's or some other beer?

(Wish I remembered which Henry's was worse of the main two types - I think the more popular one was worse)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beeeeeeeer . . . . . . .

Had to quit 5-7 yrs ago (been 100% gluten-free going on 4yrs but went nearly gluten-free well before).

There was a time when I was about as much a beer connoisseur as a non-pro could be.

I could distinguish about all of the major dometics & more popular imports in blind taste-tests. Friends stopped trying to stump me I swear!! :lol::P

<hmmm this one is feldschlossen-hopfenperle, that's zurich lowie> :lol:

So of course I was thrilled each time a gluten-free beer showed up. Redbridge is by far my fav.

I did "the dance of joy" when I ran into it at my closest big chain grocery store! :)

No more special trips to Whole Foods, Sunflower or Sprouts yay!

Weird little question - I remember in the old pre-celiac days having strange heartburn/indigestion every time after having Henry Weinhard's. (Not many times - I did learn)

Have wondered for quite awhile whether there's something extra-gluteny about it.

Any comments or similar experiences w/ Henry's or some other beer?

(Wish I remembered which Henry's was worse of the main two types - I think the more popular one was worse)

I remember always getting sick on the dark beers. Not so much on bud lite or other lites. With the dark beers I wonder if for me it was the yeasts. I know they seemed to be sweeter. But the yeast would of been a problem for me to because of candida and leaky gut issues.

Gail

thanks for writing this topic, ive been discussing this with my wife for a couple of weeks now, im still having a hard time with the whole gluten free lifestyle, ive been seriously thinking of trying a beer again just to see if im sensitive to it or not. i am EXTREMLY LUCKY i dont seem to react to alot of things, not that im going to munch on a loaf of bread or anything, but beer has been a huge sacrifice.also on the topic of hangovers, ive been drinking capt. morgans spiced rum and have had absolutly no hangovers.i used to get bad beer hangovers all the time, kinda weird how that works

That's one of my problems, I'm almost completely asymptomatic. Nothing truly affects me, so a light beer like Bud Light doesn't bother me. In fact, at my music festival this weekend, I ate gluten free but had quite a few Bud Lights with absolutely no problems. I really hope Anheiser Busch tests their beer to see how much ppm gluten is truely found. I see where Carlsberg has made Saxon beer, a regular beer that they've taken through a cycle to remove all gluten.

Josh---just wanted to say hi----good to see you :)

I've long thought that the gluten levels in beer, especially products like Bud Light and Amstel Light, do not meet the level of being hazardous to Celiacs. So, I thought I'd test this. Ever since my diagnosis, I go and get blood tests every six months to check on my antibody counts. I also had a follow-up endoscopy to check on my Barrett's Esophagus. While they were in there, they did another Celiac biopsy to see how things have progressed since going gluten free. Well, before my endoscopy and my last blood test, I starting drinking some Bud Light and Amstel Light. Keep in mind, beer NEVER gave me a problem. I'd usually get bloated and gassy after eating cereal or bread, but beer was never an issue. So, low and behold, my antibody counts are "perfect" and my small intestine is "completely healed."

Here's the question, once the "gluten free" labeling rule is made effective hopefully next year, will beer companies put their products to the test and see if they meet the "gluten free" threshold in ppm? I'll bet Bud Light, Amstel Light, and Rolling Rock will easily fall under the threshold. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Can you elaborate on the gluten-free labeling? Havent heard it.

I've been away for a while! Busy moving to Ashburn!

Here's more:

For the estimated 2.2 million Americans who suffer from celiac disease, an inherited autoimmune disorder, the

bill provides an additional benefit. It requires the Food and Drug Administration to issue final regulations

defining

I've been away for a while! Busy moving to Ashburn!

Good for you :). Hope the move went well....and you must be looking forward to football season just around the corner :)

Certain kinds of beer will do me in right away - Bell's Two Hearted - probably my favorite, at one time - will now put me on the floor after one or two. I never thought about it until I got on this site.

A couple times in the past when I have drank it, I got imediately "drunk" - not good, but swirling pass out sick drunk with 1 or 2! I missed work twice because I was still out the next day