This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New & Hungry

Kelleigh

Kelleigh Newbie

Hi all -

I'm still waiting on a dx from entero, but have Hashimotos and have been trying the gluten-free for a couple of weeks now and feel better already. I've found, however, that I'm hungry all the time. I have 100# to lose, so I want to stay away from the replacement carbs too, but this waking up at 3am hungry is getting a little old. I'm a veggie to boot, but can't have soy 'cuz of the thyroid. I have added back in eggs and fish (still eat dairy & beans) because of the loss of soy. I eat lots of veggies and fruit, but need to work harder on the protein now. Did anyone else experience this when they first went gluten-free?

Thanks for any thoughts!

:) Kelly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

radgirl Enthusiast

Absolutely. I'm always hungry. It's like I never get enough food to eat and I'm constantly thinking of food. I will have eaten a meal and feel as if my stomach is still empty and often times have physical hunger feelings. Very strange and very annoying. I do have suffered with the waking up at 3 am starving. Right now, upon regular waking, I'm very hungry with tummy growling. Not sure if its the whole gluten thing. Some have said its because we aren't properly absorbing the nutrients we need and therefore are hungry and craving what our body truly needs.

dmack Newbie

Someone else mentioned to me too that I may not be getting the nutrients I need, which is why my bloating won't go down.

But I also wonder if it's just the adjustment of diet -- gluten products are filling, and I think our stomachs get trained to think that a different kind of 'full' feeling means 'hungry.' E.g, eating whole foods (like an apple) will satisfy your stomach longer than particled food (like apple sauce) even though they may contain the same food mass, because it takes longer for your body to break down whole foods. It's another reason why shakes/smoothies can be more harm to a diet than good, because you tend to get hungrier faster and eat more food.

But water is a big deal too - oftentimes by drinking water you nourish your internal tissues (like your stomach), which can take away hunger.

celiac-mommy Collaborator
Hi all -

I'm still waiting on a dx from entero, but have Hashimotos and have been trying the gluten-free for a couple of weeks now and feel better already. I've found, however, that I'm hungry all the time. I have 100# to lose, so I want to stay away from the replacement carbs too, but this waking up at 3am hungry is getting a little old. I'm a veggie to boot, but can't have soy 'cuz of the thyroid. I have added back in eggs and fish (still eat dairy & beans) because of the loss of soy. I eat lots of veggies and fruit, but need to work harder on the protein now. Did anyone else experience this when they first went gluten-free?

Thanks for any thoughts!

It sounds like you need more protein for sure. Try pairing your fruit with some nuts, natural nut butter, cheese, etc.. I've been sauteing (sp?) green peppers and adding 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites, scramble and add a piece of cheese. Eat that with a piece of fruit and you have a great balanced breakfast that's really low cal and high in fiber and protein. Whenever you eat a carb, make sure to add a protein, particularly one that's high in fiber too, it will help you stay fuller longer. I also try to eat 5-6 smaller meals a day (~300-400 cal each). This way I'm eating pretty fequently and don't get starving in between meals. (100# weight loss, maintained for 4 years-not counting pregnancy) We also use Biochem Raw foods and Whey protein powder (vanilla)-I add it to plain FF yogurt (I like Mountain High brand), 1 scoop has 10g protein. My son is hypoglycemic, so I started giving him a bowl of that 1st thing in the am with some berries and his shakes go away immediately and he's sustained for a longer period of time. It's been a life saver for us, but I'm not sure if it's soy free. I'll check and get back to you.

Meemsy Rookie

I never had much of an apetite before I went gluten-free, then again if my stomach was acting up, I would just ignore the hunger pangs. Since I have gone gluten-free I am RAVENOUS...for the first time in years I wake up in the morning and I actually want, no need, to eat breakfast. What I am doing now is eating several small meals throughout the day instead of just the usual three, I find that the hunger is much more under control and I am lessening the feeling of wanting to binge. If you are a vegetarian and cannot eat soy, then definately try and get some protein from eggs or dairy or a gluten-free supplement.

Good luck!

Kelleigh Newbie

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the replies. Remebering to get protien in every meal I think will help... it's just having to think and plan it more that's part of the issue. It's an adjustment for sure.

Celiac-mommy - I've never heard of Biochem Raw foods - what is it?

Thanks again - I appriciate the input!!

cyberprof Enthusiast
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the replies. Remebering to get protien in every meal I think will help... it's just having to think and plan it more that's part of the issue. It's an adjustment for sure.

Celiac-mommy - I've never heard of Biochem Raw foods - what is it?

Thanks again - I appriciate the input!!

Hi Kelly,

I'm also in Bellevue!

~Laura

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kelleigh Newbie
Hi Kelly,

I'm also in Bellevue!

~Laura

Hi Laura!

That's great to hear! I'm over in the Factoria area. Are there any groups around here that you're involved with?

Karen B. Explorer

One trick I learned from the dietician that helped my hubby lower his cholesterol is that fat and fiber will satisfy hunger for a longer period of time. An apple and PB will hold off hunger much longer and be more satisfying than the same calories but lower fat or fiber in another food.

My favorite meal was grilled salmon tacos with black bean/corn salsa. Put guacamole or avocado slices on the taco to make it more substantial. The salsa is easy to make, just toss 1 can of black beans, 1 can corn and 1 jar of salsa into your colander. When it mostly quits dripping, you have a healthy high fiber topping (or you could make it into it's own taco, I've done that with a bit of cheese).

Do nuts settle well with you? My hubby liked to nibble on almonds and walnuts. I toss them into other stuff like salads or baked goods. Also, tossing a spoonful of pesto on some veggies provides a boost of healthy fats that would help sustain you longer.

I agreed with the dietician on one thing... most diets emphsize cutting down fats without noting the difference between healthy fats versus unhealthy fats. It blew everyone's mind that she set Hubby a goal of the amount of healthy fats that he had to eat and if he hadn't eaten it all by the end of the day, she had him eat Benecol on a cracker to make it. He dropped 60 lbs in 6 months. I tried the same thing, but it was pre-diagnosis and it didn't do much for me.

Kelleigh Newbie

Hi Karen -

Thanks for all the tips! I got my dx today - celiac, no dairy, no soy. Makes being a veggie even harder. I already cook most of my own food - not much processed stuff, but still it's funny 'cuz it's like I have to rethink my whole life and something as simple as apples and PB just didn't occur to me.. The Taco's sound awsome - I'll have to try those for sure. Thanks again!!

Archived