This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

California Pizza Kitchen

bellabrit7

bellabrit7 Rookie

i was wondering if anyone knew whether or not there was gluten free food on the CPK menu? In particular, their salad dressings and the artichoke/spinach dip...those are my favorite! i checked online and they don't give the ingredients out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confusedks Enthusiast

Here is the phone number if you want to call and ask. This is what it said under the FAQ's for food allergies...

Who do I call with food allergy questions?

If you have certain allergy concerns, please feel free to call our Food and Beverage Department at 310-342-5000.

Kassandra

floridanative Community Regular

Please......don't get me started in on CPK. One of my friends thought they saw CPK on a gluten free menu list from a google search. So I checked and there wasn't ANY nutritional info on their site. I e-mailed them, inquring about gluten free menu options. Here is their reply - "When it comes to eating a healthy diet, we suggest you try our whole wheat pizzas without cheese". Yep - that's what they said. I e-mailed them back and told them unless they wanted someone to sue them, not to EVER send that note out to anyone in regards to gluten free menu options. Then someone from CA (from quality control) called me to profusely apologize for the ridiculous goof. He left a 3 minute voice mail as I was not here. I called him back but got his v-mail so I told him I'd like to know when they started offering gluten free pizzas in Atlanta. I never heard from him again. CPK used to be cutting edge - now they are not only not a leader, they are not even a follower of trends. They told me they don't know what is gluten free on their menu and didn't bother to offer to find out.

Ellsabeta Newbie
i was wondering if anyone knew whether or not there was gluten free food on the CPK menu? In particular, their salad dressings and the artichoke/spinach dip...those are my favorite! i checked online and they don't give the ingredients out.

A few months ago I ended up at a California Pizza kitchen in Boston with a large group of people. This was before my "official" gluten sensitivity diagnosis, so I wasn't comfortable telling people it wouldn't be a good idea for me to eat there. We were also celebrating the finishing of a marathon by my roommate and she got to choose where to go, so CPK was the choice (which I can totally understand after running 26.2 miles).

Anyway, I asked if they had a gluten free menu, or if any of the salads on the menu (some of which looked really tasty and naturally gluten free) were gluten free. The answer, after a pained look by the waiter was "no" and that he was going to talk to manager. The manager approached me and said they can only offer me a plain salad with lettuce, carrots and cucumbers... prepared seperately. I asked if I could have a plain piece of chicken on it and they complied, but warned me it would take a lot longer because they needed clean the grill. I used bottled oil and vinegar as my dressing.

I appreciated the attemp by the waiter and manager, and also appreciated that the manager was knowledgeable on the subject, but the entire time they made me feel like I was a complete pain in the butt.

Perhaps they'll offer more in the future. I sure hope so.

• 1 month later...
loriv Newbie

My daughter is Celiac and we frequently go to the CPK in the Theater district (in Boston) before shows. While they do not have a gluten-free menu, they are more than happy to cook up gluten-free pasta (that we bring with us) for her. They do it every time in a fresh pot of water. She's never had a reaction. They also have a book they've brought out with all the ingredients in the sauces.

• 2 years later...
chipowee Newbie

looks like 2 years after this thred was started CPK has not improved. It used to be my fav restaurant BEFORE being diagnosed celiac, now I will never go back. I went there yesterday and asked about a couple salads taking off the obvious fried wantons and fried rice sticks but their dressing all has gluten and the chicken is preseasoned with gluten. So I had to pay extra for plain chicken breast and avocado to make the lettuce salad more bearable. They said the only gluten-free item on the whole menu is the steamed vegetables (woo hoo). I would definitely recommend all celiacs stay away from California Pizza Kitchen.

DownWithGluten Explorer

I'll add to the general consensus that they are not gluten free friendly. My boss when she was catching on to the gluten free diet by default of being my boss, was ordering food from CPK herself and thought, while she was at it, she'd ask if they offered any gluten free items. To which they said "No." And that was that!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
Dada2hapas Rookie

We met at California Pizza Kitchen for dinner tonight (San Diego). Hostess, waitress and manager were not familiar at all with gluten. They were very friendly, and dug up a binder listing items with wheat and other popular allergens, but very few items are listed as "wheat free" (& no pizza or pasta). Apparently not able to prevent cc either, so didn't order any food.

Drinks and company were excellent, but it's not my favorite to watch others enjoy food I'm craving, like pizza and pasta. A+ for service and atmosphere, but our group will meet elsewhere next time. ;)

Archived