#1 jesscarmel

jesscarmel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:13 AM

hi
i had blood work yesterday and when i looked up the results online it says my b12 levels are elevated. normal is 240-900 and mine is 1123. ususally im anemic. what does this mean- im really scared.
thanks
Jess
Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac
years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:52 AM

Nothing bad, it means you have lots of B12 in your system. Do you take a supplement? You want to be scared when it falls to the low end, not the upper end!

There's more than one sort of anemia, there's anemia you can have that is an iron deficiency and there's anemia you can have when you have a B12 or folate deficiency. So it looks like you don't have a B12 deficiency.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,660 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

hi
i had blood work yesterday and when i looked up the results online it says my b12 levels are elevated. normal is 240-900 and mine is 1123. ususally im anemic. what does this mean- im really scared.
thanks
Jess

Don't be scared but do ask your doctor if you are not taking supplements. If you are taking them you may want stop for a couple of months and then retest the levels. If they have gone down substantially you can restart the supplements. Your intestines may have healed enough for you to be able to "absorb" B12 again and build up the stores your body needs. To my knowledge, but you should check for yourself to be positive, excess B12 is not harmful to the body like excess iron or vitamin A would be.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 mamabear

mamabear

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

I did some research on B12 levels in the past few months, and there is basically no toxic level . I believe that you have started absorbing again, and you can alternate your B12's every other day. You might request other levels be drawn of major nutrients like folic acid,iron, ferritin..all these are necessary in producing red blood cells. If iron or ferritn become elevated, then you NEED to stop them right away. Did you say which vitamin amount you were on and for how long??
Iron deficiency without anemia, unexplained weight loss 2/2003
Positive celiac biopsy 4/2003
Autoimmune thyroiditis 8/2005

Gluten Free Since 2003

#5 NicoleAJ

NicoleAJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:08 AM

As others have mentioned, B12 doesn't have a toxicity level. It is important that your levels are high enough. That being said, I'm not sure which lab your doctor uses, but I get my B12 checked frequently for Pernicia anemia (low B12) and the test have always said that normal is 200-1100, so you are only slightly elevated. B12 can stay in your system for decades. If you are taking sublingual B12, then discontinue it completely, you don't need it. Otherwise, it shouldn't cause a major concern for you.
Diagnosed July 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: