This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chili Tortilla Chips And Salsa

Rivergirl

Rivergirl Apprentice

I checked out the Chili's menu on-line and saw where the menu listed Chili's corn tortilla's (did not say chips) heated in the microwave only and their Pico De Gallo sauce as both being gluten-free, but it did not list the tortilla chips or salsa (unless that is what they mean by Pico De Gallo) on their gluten-free menu. Does anyone know if the chips and salsa at Chili's are gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

They aren't listed on the gluten-free list. The reason why is probably that they are fryed in the same oil as other gluteny things. Alot of restaurants throw them into the fryer to warm them up (even if they come pre-made). I would steer clear of them since they are not on the list.

If you are dead set on having them, at least call their customer service line and find out why they aren't on the list.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

hez Enthusiast

The local Chili's here fries the chips in a non-dedicated fryer making them unsafe. For awhile, I was told that the salsa was not on the gluten-free menu because it contained vinegar.

Hez

grantschoep Contributor

Mentioning chips being fried in the same oil. I had the most amazing exp at a little Mexican restaraunt down the street from my house. My wife and freinds went there, and I just told the waitress I could not have anything. I explained why, and she said something that almost made me fall over... "Well would you just like some corn chips and salsa? Oh wait no... we cook flour things in the same oil, that might cross contaminate it."

I was so shocked! I've never seen someone who has never heard of celiac that was so brilliant!

buffettbride Enthusiast
I was so shocked! I've never seen someone who has never heard of celiac that was so brilliant!

For some reason that sentence makes me laugh. ;) It's so so so so true.

• 1 year later...
cmpopoff Newbie

I took the chance and tried the chips and salsa at Chili's. The only other thing I had was a gluten free salad (I brought my own dressing). I have confirmed that the chips and salsa are NOT gluten free. I don't have a super bad reaction if something is just fried in the same oil. I might just get bloated. But last night when I ate the chips and salsa I was hurdled over on the floor in pain. I threw up about 15 times and had really bad Diarrhea. This lasted about 4 hours and I was pretty close to calling an ambulance I was that bad. I couldn't even walk or sit up. The only time I react this way is if I actually eat wheat. I also found out that many of their tortillas are a mix of both corn and wheat. The chips were super thin and light so this was probably the case. No matter what the situation, they have wheat no matter what anyone says. DON'T EAT THEM!

cmpopoff Newbie
I checked out the Chili's menu on-line and saw where the menu listed Chili's corn tortilla's (did not say chips) heated in the microwave only and their Pico De Gallo sauce as both being gluten-free, but it did not list the tortilla chips or salsa (unless that is what they mean by Pico De Gallo) on their gluten-free menu. Does anyone know if the chips and salsa at Chili's are gluten free?

I took the chance and tried the chips and salsa at Chili's. The only other thing I had was a gluten free salad (I brought my own dressing). I have confirmed that the chips and salsa are NOT gluten free. I don't have a super bad reaction if something is just fried in the same oil. I might just get bloated. But last night when I ate the chips and salsa I was hurdled over on the floor in pain. I threw up about 15 times and had really bad Diarrhea. This lasted about 4 hours and I was pretty close to calling an ambulance I was that bad. I couldn't even walk or sit up. The only time I react this way is if I actually eat wheat. I also found out that many of their tortillas are a mix of both corn and wheat. The chips were super thin and light so this was probably the case. No matter what the situation, they have wheat no matter what anyone says. DON'T EAT THEM! Christine Popoff

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 6 years later...
Bcuzofu Newbie

According to my waitress, Chili's chips are fried flour tortillas. 

kareng Grand Master
10 minutes ago, Bcuzofu said:

According to my waitress, Chili's chips are fried flour tortillas. 

The previous  info is from 2009.  Ingredients, etc can change in that time period.

• 1 year later...
Ryguy2382 Newbie
On 4/17/2009 at 9:35 AM, cmpopoff said:

I took the chance and tried the chips and salsa at Chili's. The only other thing I had was a gluten free salad (I brought my own dressing). I have confirmed that the chips and salsa are NOT gluten free. I don't have a super bad reaction if something is just fried in the same oil. I might just get bloated. But last night when I ate the chips and salsa I was hurdled over on the floor in pain. I threw up about 15 times and had really bad Diarrhea. This lasted about 4 hours and I was pretty close to calling an ambulance I was that bad. I couldn't even walk or sit up. The only time I react this way is if I actually eat wheat. I also found out that many of their tortillas are a mix of both corn and wheat. The chips were super thin and light so this was probably the case. No matter what the situation, they have wheat no matter what anyone says. DON'T EAT THEM!

This same thing happened to me... so sick!

kareng Grand Master
7 hours ago, Ryguy2382 said:

't This same thing happened to me... so sick!

The original info was from 2009. If you get the gluten-free menu, it doesn't  say that chips are gluten free.  You need to look at the gluten-free menu and ask questions before assuming a food is safe.

Archived