- - - - -

Coke Pepsi Sprite Gluten?

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_maybe I have celiac_*

Guest_maybe I have celiac_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:06 AM

Does Coke, Sprite, Pepsi, or any other soft drinks have Gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:08 AM

Does Coke, Sprite, Pepsi, or any other soft drinks have Gluten?

Pepsi, Coke, Sprite, 7-up are gluten free.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Strgzr5000

Strgzr5000

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:50 AM

It cannot be unequivocally stated that coke is gluten free. The excerpt below cites a reply from Coke Customer Service to an inquiry...

The FDA has no definition of what is "Gluten-free" and everyone has different sensitivities. Medical testing has stated that anything over 20ppm can trigger sensitivities in some Celiacs and I can say that Coke bothers me.

Additionally, we can tell you that all of our other products meet Codex's definition of gluten-free, which is currently less than 200 ppm (parts per million) (0.02%) gluten. Codex is in the process of reviewing this standard and we are monitoring the progress closely. At this time the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not have a regulatory
definition of gluten-free.

We can assure you that the exact amount of gluten in all these other products is very low - perhaps even zero. Some minor ingredients in these products are manufactured from plants that gluten-sensitive people could react to, so we are unable to state categorically that they are totally gluten-free even though they may have undetectable levels of gluten in them. The Codex guideline provides a very low threshold for gluten content. However, extremely gluten-sensitive individuals should discuss consumption of these products with their health care provider.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us again.

Industry and Consumer Affairs
The Minute Maid Company

Better safe than sorry. It's often be better to take a zero tolerance stance than risk inflicting any additional damage.

#4 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:57 AM

All are gluten free!
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#5 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:02 AM

I called Coke and Pepsi and they told me that all their drinks are gluten free.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:28 AM

It cannot be unequivocally stated that coke is gluten free. The excerpt below cites a reply from Coke Customer Service to an inquiry...

The FDA has no definition of what is "Gluten-free" and everyone has different sensitivities. Medical testing has stated that anything over 20ppm can trigger sensitivities in some Celiacs and I can say that Coke bothers me.
Better safe than sorry. It's often be better to take a zero tolerance stance than risk inflicting any additional damage.

Just wanted to say I have problems with Coke also but not with the clear stuff like 7up. It does seem to be a clear gluten reaction so I steer clear but many do not have an issue. The best way for someone to tell if they do have a problem is the same as with any suspect food. Don't consume any for a couple of weeks then add in one or two a day for a week and look to see if you react. Of course you need to consume only for sure safe food when you do this to avoid confusion.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 Bugsmoocher

Bugsmoocher

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:02 AM

I've been gluten free for 4 months now, after being diagnosed with celiac disease. This weekend I drank sprite for the first time in several months. I had a horrible reaction to it - rash, gas, bloating, sick stomach. I will be avoiding sprite. My doctor did say I am very sensitive to gluten - because of the rashes and hives that show up minutes after ingesting gluten. If you are very sensitive, be very careful. Anyone who has ever been glutened will know it is not a fun way to spend a holiday weekend. :lol:

#8 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:04 AM

Coke and Pepsi products are gluten free.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: