12 replies to this topic

#1 radgirl

radgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:35 PM

I know Tums are not, but can someone suggest some OTC antacids?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:38 PM

Prilosec OTC is gluten free.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 geminigal

geminigal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

Are they really not gluten-free? If you have read my previous post you know I am not 100% sure I have a gluten problem, but when I read this I just about fell over......

Every time I went to the doctor with my symptoms they would ask "have you tried tums" and I would always say "yes, but I swear it makes it worse" and then they would look at me like I was nuts.

If Tums really do have Gluten in them I am feeling more confident by the minute!!!!! Thank you for posting this!!!

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:42 PM

Are they really not gluten-free? If you have read my previous post you know I am not 100% sure I have a gluten problem, but when I read this I just about fell over......

Every time I went to the doctor with my symptoms they would ask "have you tried tums" and I would always say "yes, but I swear it makes it worse" and then they would look at me like I was nuts.

If Tums really do have Gluten in them I am feeling more confident by the minute!!!!! Thank you for posting this!!!

:D I love light-bulb moments!
Lisa

#5 radgirl

radgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

Nope, sure aren't gluten-free. What a real shame. I wonder if the store brands are gluten-free?

#6 radgirl

radgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:47 PM

Prilosec OTC is gluten free.

Any others? Like Mylanta or Rolaids?

#7 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:54 PM

Does TUMS® contain gluten?

Although we do not use gluten as a filler in TUMS®, there may be trace amounts of gluten in the tablets via ingredients that are supplied by outside vendors.

I took this from their webite. It really ticks me off when companies cannot figure out what is in their product. However, on a website that lists gluten-free drugs it said that regular tums were gluten-free but smoothies were not.

Hez

#8 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:56 PM

Tums Smoothie DO CONTAIN GLUTEN. (per a list that is a year old)
Lisa

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

Pepto Bismal liquid is gluten-free and works for me with just one dose when I get glutened. For my tummy nothing works better not even the script stuff.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#10 radgirl

radgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:15 PM

Pepto Bismal liquid is gluten-free and works for me with just one dose when I get glutened. For my tummy nothing works better not even the script stuff.

How about the tablets? I should make sure I have liquid on hand just in case.

#11 melrobsings

melrobsings

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:49 PM

Before I found out about celiac I was eating tums like you couldn't believe, would eat some, feel worse and eat more.....yah, they are glutenous and i don't buy that they "don't use it as a filler"...cause they made me SIIIIIIIIICK!
all my life i have had an oat allergy.
gluten-free 5/2005.
active yeast free since... don't remember.
refined sugar free 5/2010.

#12 Teacher1958

Teacher1958

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:36 PM

I eat 5 regular Tums every day for calcium. They're on a list of gluten free OTC medications. I never take the Smoothies. Am I okay with the regular ones?

#13 Teacher1958

Teacher1958

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:17 PM

Does TUMS® contain gluten?

Although we do not use gluten as a filler in TUMS®, there may be trace amounts of gluten in the tablets via ingredients that are supplied by outside vendors.

I took this from their webite. It really ticks me off when companies cannot figure out what is in their product. However, on a website that lists gluten-free drugs it said that regular tums were gluten-free but smoothies were not.

Hez

I'm not taking any type of Tums anymore. I'll just have to get the calcium somewhere else. My tummy has been out of sorts all day. I took Tums 10 minutes ago, and I am totally filling up with gas. Don't light a match in here. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: