14 replies to this topic

#1 jmd3

jmd3

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:38 PM

I didn't know that TRIX cereal was gluten free. My daughter is pretty happy today. It is whole grain - CORN. So that could be a fun treat for kids - or adults.

But you guys probably knew this, but I just found out today.
Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!
Positive blood test for antibodies for celiac
SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden
March 07 - 2 different doctors have documented my records as confirmed Celiac
Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!
Husband - tested = celiac gene+diabetes gene
3 children-
youngest - doc wont test has w/ Hashimoto Disease
middle- tested = celiac gene+lymphoma gene - dx-celiac
oldest - ignores warnings

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:47 PM

I do not eat breakfast cereal, so I am not up on what is gluten free or not. But, I have never heard of TRIX mentioned on this site before. For that reason alone, I feel skeptical. Perhaps, I am wrong. :blink: and I truely hope so. Just a gut feeling.

It would be wonderful to have a new breakfast product.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

I do not eat breakfast cereal, so I am not up on what is gluten free or not. But, I have never heard of TRIX mentioned on this site before. For that reason alone, I feel skeptical. Perhaps, I am wrong. :blink: and I truely hope so. Just a gut feeling.

It would be wonderful to have a new breakfast product.

Trix have been mentioned before on several different threads. If you do a search for "trix" they come up. I believe the problem is that they keep going back and forth saying "yes gluten-free, no not gluten-free" to me that is scary!! I don't eat them because who knows what the current status is each week lol

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#4 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:04 PM

Trix became gluten free several months ago, there were a few posts on this site...Cocoa Puffs also hit the market as gluten free during the same time in a "new chocolatey mix" box...Cocoa puffs however are NOT gluten free, that didn't last very long...I had a reaction to Trix and have not tried them again, however, I tried them when they first were named gluten-free and figured maybe there was some serious CC'n going on...General Mills has recently come out with several cereals that are considered gluten-free, which is exciting...but I miss my Raisin Nut Bran and my Honey Bunches of Oats...or Honey Nut Cheerios...haven't been able to find a good subsitute yet...Cero's didn't work out for me, neither did Perky o's. just didn't have the right taste!!

It is exciting that a big company like General Mills is making moves on the gluten-free front...maybe there's hope for other companies soon :)

#5 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

Trix being gluten-free is relatively new. It used to have wheat starch in it. I would read the label every time you buy it, they have a tendency to change ingredients without the "all new" warning.
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#6 jmd3

jmd3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:10 PM

Gluten wasn't listed on the ingredients, but we called, and they asked the date and the code with the upc - were told yes, they were gluten free.
Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!
SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden
Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!
3 children-

#7 GeoffCJ

GeoffCJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

Gluten wasn't listed on the ingredients, but we called, and they asked the date and the code with the upc - were told yes, they were gluten free.

I just finished a box (not in one sitting, over a week or so) with no ill effects.
Celiac - Gluten Free since Late December 2006
Positive Dietary response, biopsy, Enterolab

Lactose intolerant - dietary response test only

#8 jmd3

jmd3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

General Mills has recently come out with several cereals that are considered gluten-free, which is exciting...but I miss my Raisin Nut Bran and my Honey Bunches of Oats...or Honey Nut Cheerios...haven't been able to find a good subsitute yet...Cero's didn't work out for me, neither did Perky o's. just didn't have the right taste!!

I found a cereal that taste similar to honey nut cherrios. they are really good - By Glutino - Honey Nut - You may like those!
3 children-

#9 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:35 PM

General Mills brands will clearly list their gluten, so even if they do frequently change their ingredients all you have to do is read the ingredient list to determine if it is gluten free. My son's been eating them for a while with no problems. I wish cocoa puffs were gluten free! ;) Although, the gluten free list that I got from Safeway had their generic brand of cocoa puffs (cocoa astros) listed as gluten-free.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#10 missmommy

missmommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:13 PM

oh i do so hope trix is gluten-free! im going to the store tomorrow and i will get to go up the cereal row, i havent done that in awhile :)
btw i heard that coco pebbles are gluten-free? is it true?

im still new at reading lables and i know a lot of companys will clearly lable wheat but what about rye and barley can they be hidin?

also ive heard conflicting stuff about modified food starch and maltrosdextrin (i think i spelled it right)
are they bad or ok?? :blink:
Worship the LORD your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water.
I will take away sickness from among you
Exodus 23:25

#11 Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:13 PM

oh i do so hope trix is gluten-free! im going to the store tomorrow and i will get to go up the cereal row, i havent done that in awhile :)
btw i heard that coco pebbles are gluten-free? is it true?

im still new at reading lables and i know a lot of companys will clearly lable wheat but what about rye and barley can they be hidin?

also ive heard conflicting stuff about modified food starch and maltrosdextrin (i think i spelled it right)
are they bad or ok?? :blink:

Maltodextrin is ok, food starch can be made from corn or wheat when in doubt call the company and they will tell you the source.
Yellow Rose
27 years of misdiognoses
seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet
rheumatoid arthritis May 1980
wrist joint replacement Jan 1984
fibromyalgia May 1980
insomnia since the 80's
diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds
Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea
Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:
depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.
Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive
Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

#12 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:20 PM

I didn't know that TRIX cereal was gluten free. My daughter is pretty happy today. It is whole grain - CORN. So that could be a fun treat for kids - or adults.

But you guys probably knew this, but I just found out today.

Always check the box. I believe at some points it was not gluten free. But it currently is and I have seen it mentioned here before. Pebbles is also gluten-free as is Little Einstein and some sort of icky Micky Mouse rice cereal. It's brightly colored. Daughter dumped a bowl of it all covered in rice milk all over the carpet. What a mess!

#13 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:25 AM

Cocoa and Fruity Pebbles are both gluten free!!!

#14 Franceen

Franceen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:35 PM

Maltodextrin has nothing to do with Malt and is OK.
Modified Food Starch can be from Wheat, barley, corn, tapioca or other stuff. Sometimes asking the company yields the "legal reply" with the stuff about suppliers and etc.
But DO watch for "malt flavoring" in ALL cereals by ALL mfg's! Malt Flavoring is made from barley and NOT gluten-free. That's Kellog's and Post's and Capt Crunch's problem. They all make cereals that WOULD be gluten-free (like Rice Krispies and Capt Crunch) if it weren't for that darned MALT FLAVORING which sweetens cereal without having to count it as a sugar.......
I'm so excited about Trix and General Mills. I'm going to go down the cereal isle too!

Franceen
Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success
Gluten-free since Dec 2005
Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months
No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

#15 Emily Elizabeth

Emily Elizabeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:28 PM

I started making my own cereal since I don't trust the current brands on the market. I was eating Mesa Sunrise and Puffins but as soon as I stopped, I started feeling better again. So I think they were contaminated with gluten even though they advertise that they are gluten free. I would be REALLY excited though if Trix were safe. That would be a great snack!

Trix have been mentioned before on several different threads. If you do a search for "trix" they come up. I believe the problem is that they keep going back and forth saying "yes gluten-free, no not gluten-free" to me that is scary!! I don't eat them because who knows what the current status is each week lol

-Jessica :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: