4 replies to this topic

#1 holdthegluten

holdthegluten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:11 PM

Anyone on here have or had a hiatal hernia. I have a little bulge on my right side just below my ribs and i have been having awful gerd......I am now taking prilosec twice a day instead of once and it still is bothering me. What does a hiatal hernia look and feel like. How do you test for it besides endoscopy and what is the treatment? Thanks so much all! God bless!
28 yr old Male
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007
Gluten-free/Casein Free
HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!
Married
1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth
" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Belinda

Belinda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

Anyone on here have or had a hiatal hernia. I have a little bulge on my right side just below my ribs and i have been having awful gerd......I am now taking prilosec twice a day instead of once and it still is bothering me. What does a hiatal hernia look and feel like. How do you test for it besides endoscopy and what is the treatment? Thanks so much all! God bless!

Yes I have one but can't tell it is even there unless I haven't eaten for a long time and go to bed empty stomached, then I wake up super heartburn feels like a heart attack.
But I don't take anything for it just try to keep something in my stomach always, maybe it will help u too.
Far as treatment not sure, sorry doc. never told me when he found it during small bio. wht to do for it so I just do the non empty stomach and has helped alot :)
Good luck !
Belinda

#3 grey

grey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:26 PM

I have a hiatal hernia too that they found doing my endoscopy/biopsy for celiac. The gi doctor didn't treat it; I have pretty bad GERD and he gave me nexium for that. In the hospital, they started me on Protonix for the Gerd and it has helped a lot. I also generally follow the GERD diet, although I do eat pepper, and take a probiotic.

Now I'm wondering if I should have asked more questions. The impression I got from him was just to ignore it. (But he also was a pretty crappy GI.)

If you google hiatal hernia, you get the sites for Mayo Clinic and Medline on i

#4 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:26 AM

A hiatal hernia should not produce an outward bulge. It is the result of the stomach protruding upward through the diaphragm. Depending on the severity you may have reflux symtpoms, or may have no noticeable symptoms at all. I would expect that it can be seen with a barium swallow or ultrasound if the tech is specifically looking for it. Mine was missed during those tests, but found during my endoscopy.

Because you can feel a bulge, I would suspect you have a different type of hernia, and reflux meds will have little effect on it. Do see your dr for proper diagnosis and treatment. :)

Michelle

#5 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

I'm 28 and have a hiatal hernia. It causes major issues every now and again--GERD, stomach pain, gastritis, etc. It only "flares" up when I eat certain foods or when I'm under a LOT of stress. That's when gastritis kicks in. Once I get the culprit food out of my diet and relax, it will go back down. I can feel pressure in my upper abdomen when I bend over when it is flared up, which is typical when you have a hernia. You may try bending over with a full stomach, if you have pain and pressure, then it's likely a Hiatal hernia. Mine does not buldge outwardly, however, and agree with another post that said your might be a different type.

For those who do not want to take antiacids, I use licorise root, and it really helps--more than any prescription med. I get it from Mother's Market in the digestive aid section, it's chewable and does not contain whatever ingredient it is that may cause high blood pressure.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: