This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bento Box Saves School Lunch! Onigiri Rocks!

zarfkitty

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Kassandra, that looks fantastic! Where in Target are those Bento-ish Boxes located?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
confusedks Enthusiast

They are in the tupperware container aisle. It's not usually on the aisle with "disposable" containers, but the aisle with "real" containers. If I remember correctly it was only about $8.

Kassandra

Thanks so much! I'm gonna go to Target tomorrow!!! I can get one for every member of the family for the same price as buying one fancy one!

2boysmama Apprentice

I've been watching this thread for a while, and the Bento box looks really cool. I'd be more inclinded to get the "copycat" at Target a pp was talking about (I have two kids I send food for and I can't see shelling out $30 a pop). My question is this - my boys are in daycare and I have to send breakfast, lunch, and 2 or 3 snacks....I love the idea of the compartments but it looks like I would end up using plastic baggies anyway for the other meals, plus having them carry two bags or something (one for the laptop lunch, one for the rest of the stuff)...any ideas?

missy'smom Collaborator

Do you have any asian markets near you? You can pick up smaller obentos with removable compartments for alot less and could get one for lunch, one for breakfast and one for snack if needed. For my son I used the diposable gladware(it's a different brand but I got them at the supermarket) type with two sections and put his lunch in one side and snack on the other. This was for camp and was not a meal that would be warmed up in the microwave. (I don't like microwaving in plastic) In the past I have used foil cupcake liners or other small plastic containers to separate foods in a container without compartments. I choose a container that is an appropriate size for the amount of food my kid can eat and pack it full and don't sent liquidy or really saucy stuff and haven't had a problem with food migration or flavors mixing.

Rubbermaid Take Alongs are what I was talking about above and what's the picture.

I bought 4 of the Target Pseudo-Bento Boxes ("Sorta-Bentos??"), and they are great! They even come with their own skinny freezer-pak blue-ice thingie! Only thing is, I think I'll have to bag or wrap the sandwich anyway, as I can't see how the blue-ice thingie wouldn't leak condensation all over the sandwich.

However, I'm thrilled to find out that the whole thing fits neatly in standard insulated lunch bags! (And I bet this will help avoid that awful lunch-box-spill-odor!!!)

Cheri A Contributor

I bought one today too! And also some toothpicks! I am not sure if I'll freeze that blue thing. I've had those type things leak out last year. I may just use it as a shelf. I was glad to find out that it will fit in our lunch boxes too! :)

Today for lunch, Carleigh had fresh apple slices and cinnamon toast cut into a heart and a circle with a side of baby carrots.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confusedks Enthusiast

Mmm...this is all making me hungry. I'm excited for the school year to start so I can take my fake bento (from target) to school. I bought a purple arctic zone lunch box thing and it fits in the lunch box perfectly. I know some people are skeptics about the blue ice thing, but it really does keep the food really cold which is nice because it's about 100 degrees here in L.A.

Kassandra

P.S. Does anyone have any books for ideas for bento boxing?

missy'smom Collaborator

There's a book called Bento Boxes, Japanese Meals on the Go by Namoi Kijima. It's in English but uses some Asian ingredients. It has photos of everything and recipies are geared toward just the right amount for an obento- one or two servings.

I am not sure if I'll freeze that blue thing. I've had those type things leak out last year.

I'm definitely gonna freeze the blue thing--my kids like rolled up ham-and-cheese--but I'm either going to put the blue thing in a zipper bag, or the ham-and-cheese-roll-ups in a zipper bag. Or maybe both (which kinda defeats the purpose of getting non-disposable containers, doesn't it? :rolleyes: ).

confusedks Enthusiast

Lol. That does kind of defeat the purpose. I'd try putting the ice in a bag, it makes more sense.

Kassandra

2boysmama Apprentice
Do you have any asian markets near you? You can pick up smaller obentos with removable compartments for alot less and could get one for lunch, one for breakfast and one for snack if needed. For my son I used the diposable gladware(it's a different brand but I got them at the supermarket) type with two sections and put his lunch in one side and snack on the other. This was for camp and was not a meal that would be warmed up in the microwave. (I don't like microwaving in plastic) In the past I have used foil cupcake liners or other small plastic containers to separate foods in a container without compartments. I choose a container that is an appropriate size for the amount of food my kid can eat and pack it full and don't sent liquidy or really saucy stuff and haven't had a problem with food migration or flavors mixing.

Rubbermaid Take Alongs are what I was talking about above and what's the picture.

Oh thanks for that! I'll have to check out one of the Asian markets - I didn't even think to look there. :huh:

Cheri A Contributor

I washed my bento-like box today and was bummed to turn it over and find out that it's made in China <_<

I washed my bento-like box today and was bummed to turn it over and find out that it's made in China <_<

Are Zip-loc bags made in China?

Cheri A Contributor
Are Zip-loc bags made in China?

I just checked mine. They are made in the USA.

I forgot to respond about the 2 kids and breakfast, lunch and snacks. I think I'd just use a regular lunch box wih containers to fit more. Or, as someone else said, maybe use the divided plates. Wow, that's a lot of meal packing for you!

2boysmama Apprentice
I just checked mine. They are made in the USA.

I forgot to respond about the 2 kids and breakfast, lunch and snacks. I think I'd just use a regular lunch box wih containers to fit more. Or, as someone else said, maybe use the divided plates. Wow, that's a lot of meal packing for you!

It is....and now that my one year old is refusing baby foods and wanting table foods, it'll be double...actually more because I pack my lunch and DH has decided he wants me to pack a lunch for him too! :blink:

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Where are the bento boxes made? I am leary of China & plastic. Heck I am leary of anything made in China that might come near my food...

Also, I guess ya'll did know that it came out a year or so ago that those vinyl lunch boxes with the plastic on the top that depicted an action hero or something were all very high in lead, inside the lunch box & outside

Also, I guess ya'll did know that it came out a year or so ago that those vinyl lunch boxes with the plastic on the top that depicted an action hero or something were all very high in lead, inside the lunch box & outside

Yikes, I didn't know that! :blink:

zarfkitty Explorer

from laptop lunch website:

11. I have heard that some plastics can cause health problems. Should I be concerned about that?

* At Obentec, Inc. we are extremely concerned about toxins in our food and in the environment. Thus we take great care to ensure that we use the safest materials available. For this reason we manufacture our lunch containers here in California using plastics (polypropylene and polyethylene) that are FDA-approved for food use. We do not use any binding agents or plasticizers in the process. We do not use any materials that are suspected carcinogens or endocrine disrupters.

* Most parents currently pack lunches in plastic wrap, plastic bags, and single-serve plastic packages, including PET water bottles, which are considered far less stable than their reusable counterparts. Plastic may not be the perfect solution, but it does offer a stylish, affordable, non-breakable alternative for families wishing to move from a disposable to a reusable system.

19. I recently read a press release about children's lunchboxes containing lead! Is this for real? What about Laptop Lunches? Have they been tested?

I assume that you're referring to the Center for Environmental Health's press release entitled "A Back to School Warning: Children

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Thanks for the post, looks like I will be a new customer !!!!

gfpaperdoll Rookie

zarfkitty, I just saw that you are in Austin. ThatChickAli is a new dxd person that also lives in Austin, she is getting ready to go to college in Lubbock. If you have time, would you PM her to offer any support? Thanks, I was in austin one weekend & took her through the Grocery store...

I sent her the link to the Austin support group, but not sure if she has contacted them...

buffettbride Enthusiast

I know the Laptop Lunches seem pricier than other ones, but they really do seem sturdier, and the intent is to get many years of use out of them. Plus, it supports other moms who work to keep the food for their kids healthy as well. It seems to be a quality product backed by people who care about the product, too.

Not to say anything bad about folks who choose to purchase something like it elsewhere at all because even a different version of the theme still makes it easier and better to pack lunches for our Celiacs. :)

Archived