6 replies to this topic

#1 holdthegluten

holdthegluten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

Why am i still getting bloating from eating fatty food (hamburger). It has been six months and i feel great for the most part, but for some reason whenever i eat fatty food i still get horrible bloating. If i am healed by now why wouldnt i be able to digest fat. Tonight i had a hamburger with a tapioca bun from EnerG Foods and organic fries from 365. I feel awful, dizzy, bloated, anxious. What is going on?
28 yr old Male
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007
Gluten-free/Casein Free
HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!
Married
1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth
" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:51 PM

Assuming all the foods were safe (the burger), then it's probably a normal reaction to the saturated, unhealthy fats. You probably weren't aware of this before hand because your body wasn't as clean as it is now. You'll notice new 'reactions' because you have rid yourself of the poison (gluten), and now you eat other foods that aren't good for you, and just feel, well, gross!
Gluten-free, Vegan

#3 jmd3

jmd3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

I feel your pain, I bloat like I am 9 months pregnant. I react to the smallest amount of gluten, it is horrible. My doctor told me that I can not ingest more that a fraction of a crumb, that is how bad it is for me.

What kind of hambuger was it = 90% , 85% , 70% - The less fat is better for us. I am told to make sure that it is not in the meat case with any meat that might have breading on it. Also, it has been suggested to make sure we get the "better burger" to make sure nothing was added as fillers.
Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!
Positive blood test for antibodies for celiac
SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden
March 07 - 2 different doctors have documented my records as confirmed Celiac
Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!
Husband - tested = celiac gene+diabetes gene
3 children-
youngest - doc wont test has w/ Hashimoto Disease
middle- tested = celiac gene+lymphoma gene - dx-celiac
oldest - ignores warnings

#4 Guest_Doll_*

Guest_Doll_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:43 PM

Why am i still getting bloating from eating fatty food (hamburger). It has been six months and i feel great for the most part, but for some reason whenever i eat fatty food i still get horrible bloating. If i am healed by now why wouldnt i be able to digest fat. Tonight i had a hamburger with a tapioca bun from EnerG Foods and organic fries from 365. I feel awful, dizzy, bloated, anxious. What is going on?

I would make sure that first, all of your food was really gluten-free. Ditto on checking hamburger meat for fillers. Some people also react to tapioca flour as well. Also, most people with IBS (and those Celiacs with damaged intestines) can't tolerate fatty foods. You may need to be on the IBS diet as well. It also could be something unrlelated, like mild food poisoning and/or a sudden change in blood sugar (gluten-free buns are high in carbs). Have you been tested for other bowel conditions and problems?

#5 emcmaster

emcmaster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:37 PM

I would make sure that first, all of your food was really gluten-free. Ditto on checking hamburger meat for fillers. Some people also react to tapioca flour as well. Also, most people with IBS (and those Celiacs with damaged intestines) can't tolerate fatty foods. You may need to be on the IBS diet as well. It also could be something unrlelated, like mild food poisoning and/or a sudden change in blood sugar (gluten-free buns are high in carbs). Have you been tested for other bowel conditions and problems?

I was one of those lucky few that couldn't tolerate dairy or fats at all (I had been doing the IBS diet with little success until I went gluten-free, and then I felt a lot better). Luckily, after about 6 months (what a nice, round number!) of being gluten-free, I was able to have dairy and fat again.
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

#6 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

Hi holdthegluten!

Looks like you're where I was in 2004.
I wondered the same things.
It took me an entire year before I figured out the main problem wasn't celiac itself anymore, but other issues created by celiac before I'd stopped the gluten.

Your symptoms sound like a perfect match for Candida Overgrowth & Leaky-Gut (increased intestinal permeability)

Loads of sites have "candida quizzes" to see how many symptoms match up. Just google for it.

It's become my *strong* belief that many many post-gluten-free celiacs have these 2 issues.

Even if you have neither of these, it may now, or soon, be time to look into other conditions that were spawned by celiac.

Good Luck!!

P.S. IBS is a symptom, not a cause. There IS a cause, for every case of IBS. The Docs just don't know what it is, if all they say is "IBS - deal w/ it".
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#7 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:09 AM

I feel so ill right now. Today I was so tired and foggy that I nearly drove the car off the road. I really don't what is wrong - but I did eat a fatty type sausage meal 2 nights ago..... the sausage said it was gluten-free.... Should I suspect that ?

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: