Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Bloating From Fatty Food?

7 posts in this topic

Why am i still getting bloating from eating fatty food (hamburger). It has been six months and i feel great for the most part, but for some reason whenever i eat fatty food i still get horrible bloating. If i am healed by now why wouldnt i be able to digest fat. Tonight i had a hamburger with a tapioca bun from EnerG Foods and organic fries from 365. I feel awful, dizzy, bloated, anxious. What is going on?

Ads by Google:

Assuming all the foods were safe (the burger), then it's probably a normal reaction to the saturated, unhealthy fats. You probably weren't aware of this before hand because your body wasn't as clean as it is now. You'll notice new 'reactions' because you have rid yourself of the poison (gluten), and now you eat other foods that aren't good for you, and just feel, well, gross!

I feel your pain, I bloat like I am 9 months pregnant. I react to the smallest amount of gluten, it is horrible. My doctor told me that I can not ingest more that a fraction of a crumb, that is how bad it is for me.

What kind of hambuger was it = 90% , 85% , 70% - The less fat is better for us. I am told to make sure that it is not in the meat case with any meat that might have breading on it. Also, it has been suggested to make sure we get the "better burger" to make sure nothing was added as fillers.

Why am i still getting bloating from eating fatty food (hamburger). It has been six months and i feel great for the most part, but for some reason whenever i eat fatty food i still get horrible bloating. If i am healed by now why wouldnt i be able to digest fat. Tonight i had a hamburger with a tapioca bun from EnerG Foods and organic fries from 365. I feel awful, dizzy, bloated, anxious. What is going on?

I would make sure that first, all of your food was really gluten-free. Ditto on checking hamburger meat for fillers. Some people also react to tapioca flour as well. Also, most people with IBS (and those Celiacs with damaged intestines) can't tolerate fatty foods. You may need to be on the IBS diet as well. It also could be something unrlelated, like mild food poisoning and/or a sudden change in blood sugar (gluten-free buns are high in carbs). Have you been tested for other bowel conditions and problems?

I would make sure that first, all of your food was really gluten-free. Ditto on checking hamburger meat for fillers. Some people also react to tapioca flour as well. Also, most people with IBS (and those Celiacs with damaged intestines) can't tolerate fatty foods. You may need to be on the IBS diet as well. It also could be something unrlelated, like mild food poisoning and/or a sudden change in blood sugar (gluten-free buns are high in carbs). Have you been tested for other bowel conditions and problems?

I was one of those lucky few that couldn't tolerate dairy or fats at all (I had been doing the IBS diet with little success until I went gluten-free, and then I felt a lot better). Luckily, after about 6 months (what a nice, round number!) of being gluten-free, I was able to have dairy and fat again.

Hi holdthegluten!

Looks like you're where I was in 2004.

I wondered the same things.

It took me an entire year before I figured out the main problem wasn't celiac itself anymore, but other issues created by celiac before I'd stopped the gluten.

Your symptoms sound like a perfect match for Candida Overgrowth & Leaky-Gut (increased intestinal permeability)

Loads of sites have "candida quizzes" to see how many symptoms match up. Just google for it.

It's become my *strong* belief that many many post-gluten-free celiacs have these 2 issues.

Even if you have neither of these, it may now, or soon, be time to look into other conditions that were spawned by celiac.

Good Luck!!

P.S. IBS is a symptom, not a cause. There IS a cause, for every case of IBS. The Docs just don't know what it is, if all they say is "IBS - deal w/ it".

I feel so ill right now. Today I was so tired and foggy that I nearly drove the car off the road. I really don't what is wrong - but I did eat a fatty type sausage meal 2 nights ago..... the sausage said it was gluten-free.... Should I suspect that ?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I know that Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce  in the US is gluten free, I also know that in Canada it is NOT. This is a very reliable site: http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/vinegar/ But it is in the US. I'm agast that the Irish Celiac Society says malt vinegar is gluten free.  I wouldn't use it. No sense taking any chance at all.
    • You should never have cut out gluten until you had the biopsy done. It's much worse to have to go back on after you've been off gluten for a while. There's no way I could ever do the gluten challenge after being off gluten for even a month because my reactions got so dramatically worse.  Stress definately can trigger celiac- before I was diagnosed - it got the worst after surgery and after a stressful time planning my daughters wedding. 
    • Hi not diagnosed celiac, Welcome to the forum! Your doctor should be sent to remedial celiac disease training.  Since that probably won't happen, I suggest you find a new doctor.  He doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to diagnosing celiac disease. You should not have gone gluten-free before completing all celiac disease testing.  The testing for celiac disease depends on the immune reaction being active.  Removing gluten before testing removes the antigen that causes the immune system to react, and lowers the chances of getting a correct test result dramatically.  The University of Chicago celiac disease center recommends: ******************************************** http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/ Prior to blood testing we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten. Prior to an endoscopic biopsy we recommend 2 weeks of eating gluten. In the case of a severe reaction to gluten, a medical professional may opt to shorten the 12-week challenge and move immediately to an endoscopic biopsy. May, 2013 ******************************************** So you will need to go back to eating gluten before your endoscopy.  That may cause worse symptoms than before when you were eating gluten.  So it would have been better to do all testing before going gluten-free. Can you search for a celiac disease support group in your area?  They exist in many parts of the USA and world.  They can be a good place to get a knowledgeable doctor recommendation.  There is also a doctors subsection of this forum where you can search to see if any doctors in your area were recommended.
    • Hi All, I'm new to this and very confused! I have Lea & Perrins WC sauce, it lists it's first ingredient as Malt Vinegar.  I have the Coeliac Society of Ireland Food List 2015 here, and it says "All Vinegars are Gluten Free including Malt Vinegar." Doesn't that mean that L&P Worcestershire sauce is safe?   Their website states " Lea & Perrins® Worcestershire Sauce is cholesterol free, fat free, preservative free, gluten free and has 80% less sodium than soy sauce. " I'm cooking for my coeliac niece, can't afford to make a mistake!
    • I get these crazy cravings for some things I can not eat anymore. Not only am I diagnosed with celiac but I also have a allergy to corn, olives, sesame, peanuts, and intolerance to yeast, soy, dairy, and a very low tolerance for carbs/sugars, Top it off with I can not digest meats or egg yolks, they just give me the burps and come up later.
        To deal with these I find myself turning to Republic of Teas (They have a great desert tea line up all certified gluten-free) and sweetening them with monk fruit extract, or stevia. And I find myself making Puddings bases that I use for shakes, dips, and ice-cream for meals. The puddings are normally a blend of cashew, or almond milk with a thickening agent like agar agar, pectin, or knoxx gelatin, blended with a sweetener like xylitol, swerve, stevia, monk fruit or a combination. And flavored with Lor Ann Oils (all gluten-free certified and you can find the kosher ones listed as such) super strength flavors or fountain syrups to match something I can not eat normally a combination of two flavors (Strawberry Cheesecake, Banana and Carmel, Cookies & Cream, etc) Then I add a fat that matches best, like almond butter, cashew butter, hemp butter, ground flax seed, coconut flour, chocolate, Pumpkin seed butter or a combination) These bases are normally blended up and consumed with 1-2 scoops of protein powder and eaten with steamed vegges as a side dip or loaded into a ice cream maker for a desert after my meals.      Also found myself making desert soups....like a pumpkin soup that taste like pumpkin pie. I am sure we all have our little quirks but this is one of mine for getting that sweet craving taken care of. Most premade items are off my list due to the allergies and it seems most companies use the oils, starches I am allergic to as non stick or thickening agents, Even the semi safe ones tend to put way to much sugars in them and I find myself only being able to nibble . There is also my little binge issues with almonds, pumpkin seeds, and, cocoa but that was explained to me as normal And on my most craving for peanuts I have found sancha inchi powder to work great, The Powder itself taste like the girl scout peanut butter cookie sandwich from my childhood, And is great mixed with a bit of almond milk into a butter or used in baking and smoothies. Before this I have been making Artisan blends of almond butter for years and even made a market selling them to pay  for my own consumption. Baked goods wise I have a bunch of recipes I make for others and sell at markets and this allows me to nibble on a sample to check it, as most contain a bean or gluten-free Harvest Oats/Flour in them and the carbs from that and the coconut sugars bother me. Still helps with cravings there, I only have 2 recipes that sell good and are safe for me to eat full servings of but are so expensive as they use almond and coconut flours, low sugars/xylitol and are paleo that I only can afford to make them once a month. Posting to hear about some odd and out there ways others deal with substitutions and cravings. Please do not bash mine as odd as they might be as they keep me from going crazy. (Yes I know DROP THE OATS, fact is I only get them when tasting stuff and they are gluten-free Harvest, the only ones I have never gotten glutend with)  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    moojoo