Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Bloating From Fatty Food?

7 posts in this topic

Why am i still getting bloating from eating fatty food (hamburger). It has been six months and i feel great for the most part, but for some reason whenever i eat fatty food i still get horrible bloating. If i am healed by now why wouldnt i be able to digest fat. Tonight i had a hamburger with a tapioca bun from EnerG Foods and organic fries from 365. I feel awful, dizzy, bloated, anxious. What is going on?

Ads by Google:

Assuming all the foods were safe (the burger), then it's probably a normal reaction to the saturated, unhealthy fats. You probably weren't aware of this before hand because your body wasn't as clean as it is now. You'll notice new 'reactions' because you have rid yourself of the poison (gluten), and now you eat other foods that aren't good for you, and just feel, well, gross!

I feel your pain, I bloat like I am 9 months pregnant. I react to the smallest amount of gluten, it is horrible. My doctor told me that I can not ingest more that a fraction of a crumb, that is how bad it is for me.

What kind of hambuger was it = 90% , 85% , 70% - The less fat is better for us. I am told to make sure that it is not in the meat case with any meat that might have breading on it. Also, it has been suggested to make sure we get the "better burger" to make sure nothing was added as fillers.

Why am i still getting bloating from eating fatty food (hamburger). It has been six months and i feel great for the most part, but for some reason whenever i eat fatty food i still get horrible bloating. If i am healed by now why wouldnt i be able to digest fat. Tonight i had a hamburger with a tapioca bun from EnerG Foods and organic fries from 365. I feel awful, dizzy, bloated, anxious. What is going on?

I would make sure that first, all of your food was really gluten-free. Ditto on checking hamburger meat for fillers. Some people also react to tapioca flour as well. Also, most people with IBS (and those Celiacs with damaged intestines) can't tolerate fatty foods. You may need to be on the IBS diet as well. It also could be something unrlelated, like mild food poisoning and/or a sudden change in blood sugar (gluten-free buns are high in carbs). Have you been tested for other bowel conditions and problems?

I would make sure that first, all of your food was really gluten-free. Ditto on checking hamburger meat for fillers. Some people also react to tapioca flour as well. Also, most people with IBS (and those Celiacs with damaged intestines) can't tolerate fatty foods. You may need to be on the IBS diet as well. It also could be something unrlelated, like mild food poisoning and/or a sudden change in blood sugar (gluten-free buns are high in carbs). Have you been tested for other bowel conditions and problems?

I was one of those lucky few that couldn't tolerate dairy or fats at all (I had been doing the IBS diet with little success until I went gluten-free, and then I felt a lot better). Luckily, after about 6 months (what a nice, round number!) of being gluten-free, I was able to have dairy and fat again.

Hi holdthegluten!

Looks like you're where I was in 2004.

I wondered the same things.

It took me an entire year before I figured out the main problem wasn't celiac itself anymore, but other issues created by celiac before I'd stopped the gluten.

Your symptoms sound like a perfect match for Candida Overgrowth & Leaky-Gut (increased intestinal permeability)

Loads of sites have "candida quizzes" to see how many symptoms match up. Just google for it.

It's become my *strong* belief that many many post-gluten-free celiacs have these 2 issues.

Even if you have neither of these, it may now, or soon, be time to look into other conditions that were spawned by celiac.

Good Luck!!

P.S. IBS is a symptom, not a cause. There IS a cause, for every case of IBS. The Docs just don't know what it is, if all they say is "IBS - deal w/ it".

I feel so ill right now. Today I was so tired and foggy that I nearly drove the car off the road. I really don't what is wrong - but I did eat a fatty type sausage meal 2 nights ago..... the sausage said it was gluten-free.... Should I suspect that ?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• It only takes a minute to make a difference. Celiac disease has been overshadowed by the gluten-free diet fad. Getting diagnosed and staying healthy is no piece of cake – those of us who have celiac disease struggle to stay healthy. We need better. We need to be understood. We need a cure. View the full article
    • If you are one of the approximately 2-3 million Americans with celiac disease, ZyGluten™ may be taken before you eat out at a restaurant or a friend\'s house, as it may help break down any gluten cross-contamination that you might encounter. View the full article
    • Advil (ibuprofen) is gluten-free, but can be a stomach irritant, especially if taken on an empty stomach. That said, I will also place my bet on the garlic and onions. As Raven said, eating more than once a day may also help. An empty stomach is likely to be an irritable stomach.
    • Another link: http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/7351/PDF
    • Thanks for posting.  I know it is difficult to talk about these sorts of things even on a webforum.  It is good thing for people to be aware though about celiac disease and that it can cause mental problems.  Gluten can cause brain damage and it can cause anxiety. If the brain does heal it may take a long time. I know that gluten can cause anxiety and obsessive thoughts.  My experience has been similar to your experience. When I first quit eating gluten I had a similar constant loop and strong negative feelings. There are lots of people on this forum who get anxiety when they eat gluten. Some people also experience gluten withdrawl where they experience anxiety after giving up gluten. It can take a long time for the body to heal and for obsessive thoughts to go away.
       It is normal for people to socialize with each other and to be comfortable about it. You said you have problems still socializing and being around people. It might be a depressing thought but it sounds to me like you still have problems with anxiety.  I would recommend considering what options you have available to treat the anxiety. When I quit eating Gluten I still had some symptoms, even though I felt much better. I have been slowly recovering over a period of about three years. I had obsessive thoughts even after I quit eating gluten.  Now I very rarely if at all think about those things. My experience is that my mind would latch on to certain things that caused me anxiety and focus on those things. Sometimes my focus would shift and I would latch onto other things. My ability to socialize has also improved greatly with time. I have made some dietary changes which I believe have helped greatly. It sounds to me like you have obsessive thoughts about things and maybe some brain damage. My experience has been that my obsessive thoughts about different things went away with time. I feel my obsessive thoughts were caused by gluten and not by what people did around me or any events. As my brain healed I became more self aware and things became less stressful.  I can't give medical advice on this forum but I can talk about my current diet and my experience with celiac disease. My experience with gluten is different from a lot of other people so it is a good idea to ask other people and to talk to a doctor.  I avoid oats and avoid almost all processed foods. I buy certified gluten free food. I eat healthy and I exercise every day. I take st John's Wort as I have read studies that say it may be as effective as some other anti-depressants for treating certain types of anxiety. It is available over the counter. I started with a small dosage and then stepped it up over time. I think it helps a lot.  This is also something that you should talk to a doctor about first. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Martin_Mahoney2/publication/7426926_St._John's_wort/links/540d8acc0cf2f2b29a386673.pdf A lot of people with celiac disease have vitamin deficiencies.  Vitamin b deficiency can cause anxiety. Some people do not process the synthetic form of vitamin b (from normal pills)  very well, and do better on an activated form of vitamin b. I take:
      1 activated vitamin b12 daily
      1 activated vitamin b6 every once in a while. 1 regular vitamin b multivitamin
      1 magnesium pill every day.
      St Johns Wort daily.
      1 zinc vitamin daily
      I drink lots of Chamomile tea and decaf coffee. I avoid most caffeine. 
      I think each of these helps lower my anxiety level.  I eat fruit with every meal. Canned fruit from walmart is cheap and good for you. I eat salad and and vegetables and avoid dairy.  I eat frozen fish often as it has healthy proteins. Eating healthy is very important. I eat potatoes and rice. http://www.livestrong.com/article/454179-what-is-methyl-b12/ I avoid eating soy sauce, soy, cheese, aged meats and fermented foods (I do drink certain types of alcohol in moderate amounts.) These foods contain lots of Tyramine. I might (or might not) have "monoaine oxidase deficiency" and if so high Tyramine foods should be avoided.  I thought I might have problems with elevated ammonia in my blood, but I am not convinced of that anymore. I limited my consumption of meat for a while as well as dairy but I am not sure if i helped.  I have heard that Celiac disease can effect other organs besides the brain and those organs can have an effect on the brain.  My current diet is working so I am going to stick with it for now. I try not to worry about things that are outside of my control. Be patient as it took me a long time to recover.  Let me know if you have any questions. There is a lot of information on this site and people who are willing to help.

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Gigi Fagon