This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Experience Of A Biopsy

person011

person011 Rookie

I am getting a biopsy next Friday. I am going to try to do it awake because I am terified of being put to sleep. I was wondering what people experiences are doing this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ehrin Explorer

I'm not sure if procedures are different, but with my biopsy they didn't put me to sleep - they just "knocked" me out. I was awake, but was not conscious if that makes any sense? It was kind of like a large dose of laughing gas...I really don't think you want to be awake for this, mainly because if you have a knee jerk reaction, while they're down there, it's not going to feel pleasant.

cookie22 Newbie
I am getting a biopsy next Friday. I am going to try to do it awake because I am terified of being put to sleep. I was wondering what people experiences are doing this.

most of them are concious sedation. meaning, you will be very out of it and they also give you something else that makes you not remember a thing. is that what you are doing? because if you are doing it wide awake it will likely be less than pleasant. there's a big difference between concious sedation and general anesthesia. good luck.

jerseyangel Proficient

I had conscious sedation--I was asleep but not unconcious and they gave me something so I wouldn't remember.. I remembered nothing from right after the IV went in until I woke up in recovery. I did not feel groggy, within a few minutes I was sitting up drinking apple juice. It basically felt like I had a nice nap :)

One thing--if you decide to go this route, have someone with you when the doctor comes in to speak with you afterward. I forgot everything he said to me and had to ask the nurse to have him come back and repeat what he said.

Cherry Tart Apprentice

I agree w/ ehrin. I recommend going to "sleep." You're technically "awake", but they give you enough medication so it feels like you're sleeping. They will be going down your throat w/ instruments and it won't be pleasant if you are totally aware of everything. The twilight sleep is great! You're only out for a few minutes (the procedure is very fast). It isn't scary or disconcerting in the least. If I can do it, you can do it! ;)

Guest Doll

I did my biopsy with NO drugs (this means no sedation either). This is apprently not common, but I chose to do this becuase a) I have Type 1 diabetes and also wear an insulin pump (the nurse there was braindead, I just knew she'd screw something up), and B) I had no one to drive me home.

The doctor sprayed the back of my throat with a numbing spray. I layed down on my side facing him, and he explained what he was going to do. There is a "mouthpiece" that straps around your mouth so that the doctor can guide in the scope. This is uncomfortable, but not painful. The scope itself feels much larger than it looks!

The first part is the hardest. You actually need to swallow the scope. If you are awake, the doctor guides it down slowly, and will ask you to swallow. After it is down, it is very uncomfortable at first. Due to the scope irritating a nerve, you may begin to breathe fast and hyperventilate for a few seconds. Not a big deal, the doctor will simply ask you to relax and try to breathe slowly. I remember drooling a lot on the pillow (tie your hair back!!!!) and burping like their was no tomorrow as the air was forced out. :) Barney Gumble (the burping guy from the Simpsons) had nothing on me!

After a few minutes, it is less uncomfortable. I was told that I wouldn't feel the actual biopsy, but I did. :o It felt like a dull ache, exactly like someone was grabing a piece of my intestines! I felt a bit sore after, but nothing to complain about. I also burped a lot afterwards. :D Bringing up the scope "tickled" and was sometimes uncomfortable, but did not hurt.

The total time from talking with the doctor and nurse to having my biopsy completed was about 7 minutes. Apparently I broke a record! :) If I had to do it again, I would, but I now know that what I did was pretty crazy! Oh well, some people give birth drug free, right? What's the difference?

Overall, the biopsy is NOT that bad. Most people have issues due to the sedation. I avoided all of that.

P.S. "Twlilight Sedation" is what is being referred to above. This is a great choice, and what I would suggest for most people.

confusedks Enthusiast

I just wanted to say...I used to be DEATHLY afraid of being put out or in any altered state. Then a month ago I was hospitalized and had to have a procedure and they put me in the twilight state and it was not a big deal at all! I promise...it's not that scary at all. I don't remember anything other than the oxygen mask (was only oxygen...no laughing gas) and then I woke up. It's not scary...I promise!

Kassandra

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lob6796 Contributor

I asked if I could do mine awake and they told me that unless there are extenuating circumstances, they won't do it with you fully conscious. It makes their job more difficult. I am deathly afraid of being put to sleep, but they don't actually put you under anesthesia, they just give you enough medicine so you don't care what they are doing to you. They did it to my daughter and she was even talking to me and could identify pictures in a book (they went in the other end-different procedure). You don't remember alot of what happened, but you aren't actually asleep. Basically it is like you are drunk and can't remember most of what you did the night before ;)

They did say to be sure someone came in with you who could take notes, because alot of times you don't remember what the doctor says. Mine is Wednesday, I'm nervous!

Guest micah

I used to work with a doctor who did endoscopies/colonoscopies doing research. I have witnessed lots of them. For the most part, the hard part about the endoscopy is the feeling like you are choking on something. You really have to convince yourself that you aren't choking and you CAN breathe. If you relax and breathe slowly, you'll realize you CAN breathe. I hate to be sedated too, I'm really afraid of even novacaine or benadryl because my body overreacts. I did a colonoscopy without sedation and it wasn't that painful - like really bad gas pains. I think it would be too hard for me to do the endoscopy without it though, just to be honest with you. But if you think having a tube down your throat won't freak you out, I'd say go for it.

Micah

Teacher1958 Apprentice

The total time from talking with the doctor and nurse to having my biopsy completed was about 7 minutes. Apparently I broke a record! :) If I had to do it again, I would, but I now know that what I did was pretty crazy! Oh well, some people give birth drug free, right? What's the difference?

Give me as many drugs as it is humanly possible to give! I tried natural childbirth for a few minutes and then begged for the epidural. I wish I hadn't waited so long! :lol:

Craftycat Newbie

I had an Endoscopy/Colonoscopy yesterday morning. They put me in what they call "Twilight" which another person had mentioned here. I don't like being put all the way out either. They usually use Demoral and Verced, and they can awaken you easily. It was so fast and simple! I came out of it fine. They have you sit up fairly soon and give you something to drink. They had my husband come in, while the doctor was talking to me. I can remember most of what he said. I came home and slept a little afterwards, but felt good.

I had a pacemaker replacement last September and they used the same drugs. They had me sedated for about 4 hours that time. I did wake up here and there, but they would give me more each time and I'd go back to sleep. When surgery was over, I was alert and felt fine. Felt great the next morning as well. It doesn't seem to leave any residual effects afterwards and I'm a lightweight when it comes to medications. Things that will put people to sleep, like Benedryl and Restoril will make me hyper. The Demoral/Verced combo seems to work very well though.

Ultimately, it's your choice, but I think you might want to consider it.

Hope all goes well for you either way.

grommet Newbie

I had mine awake - although becasue I'd been eating gluten for several weeks I was half asleep anyway. I didn't want to be groggy for the rest of the day, and wanted to get on with the rest of my life. Biopsy day was a sort of celebration day for me - the end of eating gluten.

It's not pleasant but if you are good at relaxation techniques and can switch off, or are good at "taking yourself somewhere else" you'll be fine. The procedure took a few minutes, and I went shopping twenty minutes later then out for lunch.

Archived