This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cravng Gluten!

imagine22

imagine22 Contributor

I desperately crave fluffy white bread and take away batter coatings etc etc.

Before i was pregnant i had no trouble with the gluten free diet - i just switched to gluten free bread etc and didnt worry about it --> but now im pregnant I have strong aversions to gluten free bread and pasta and desperately crave the 'real thing'. I have 24/7 nausea which make it all harder :( I miss gluten

anyone else have this problem?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

covsooze Enthusiast

Yes - although maybe not quite as badly as you ;) Are there any other plain comfort foods that you would be happy to eat? eg potatoes? I'm happy with a tummy full of potato :lol: It is difficult when you're feeling sick all the time - it seems that nothing you can eat will 'hit the spot'. Maybe that's why we crave something we can't have?

sparkles Contributor

I crave KFC EXTRA CRISPY chicken wings. My husband keeps reminding me that I would probably end up in the ER.... or wish I were dead.... BUT I do crave them. I am not going to take the plunge as my intestines sort of go into knots when the KFC commercials come on TV. BUT that doesn't stop me from thinking.... PS I am not pregnant only craving the unattainable!

chrissy Collaborator

bette hagman's basic featherlight bread, when it is hot out of the oven and slathered in butter, tastes pretty much like regular wheat bread hot out of the oven. when one of my girls cooked this for the first time, i quit crying about their celiac diagnosis.

Babygirl6915 Explorer

I CONSTANTLY crave fried foods! I actually broke my gluten-free diet 2 days ago & ate onion rings b/c I was craving them sooo bad. :rolleyes: I never intend to go back to eating gluten full-time but every couple of months I plan to eat a little bit of something just to kill the cravings for a bit. I am sure even the little bit is not healthy but I am sure it is healthier than just going on a gluten binge & ending up in the hospital!

melmak5 Contributor

I have been having nightmares (dreams) about white bread. I am not pregnant, been diagnosed with celiac for a month now, but I am plagued by either the overwhelming desire for white bread and/or having nightmares of being out of control eating it, and getting really sick.

I just ate two slices of gluten-free "toast" with butter. It's not cutting it. I am determined not to "cheat" but right now nothing seems to be able to satiate my desire or quite my head.

Today kinda sucks.

Karen B. Explorer
I have been having nightmares (dreams) about white bread. I am not pregnant, been diagnosed with celiac for a month now, but I am plagued by either the overwhelming desire for white bread and/or having nightmares of being out of control eating it, and getting really sick.

I just ate two slices of gluten-free "toast" with butter. It's not cutting it. I am determined not to "cheat" but right now nothing seems to be able to satiate my desire or quite my head.

Today kinda sucks.

Have you tried the GFP Favorite Sandwich bread? I thought it actually tasted like regular white bread! The first thing I did with it was a soft white bread, Miracle Whip and bologna sandwich. It didn't take a bread machine, just a mixer, loaf pan and oven.

Have you tried Fast and Fresh products? I haven't tried their white bread, but their burger buns taste like a good soft white bread bun. You don't even need an oven, just a microwave (and a toaster if you want it toasted).

I've found the bought gluten-free bread is pretty sub-standard, even the Whole Foods bread, while good for gluten-free bread that was baked several weeks ago and stuck in a freezer. If you had told me pre-diagnosis that I'd be baking this much, I wouldn't have believed it. But now, given a choice between eating something that makes my body attack itself versus taking a bit of time out on the weekend and baking what I'm craving -- I bake. And I feel better doing something about the cravings before I get ready to attack a coworker for their soft, white bread tuna sandwich.

My co-workers think it's funny but I can smell white bread in the air 15 feet away when the bread has been eaten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ebrbetty Rising Star

I would kill for a steak and cheese sub..omg I miss sub rolls so bad, but I get severe stomach pains from gluten so its not worth it!

• 4 weeks later...
jmc Newbie

I too am craving all the things I can not eat. I would die to have a big cinnamon roll with cream cheese frosting! Okay, yeah, I could make one from gluten-free flours, but it is not the same.

I am now 11 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. I have been gluten-free for 1.5 years. I am pretty much nauseous all the time, and it is driving me crazy! Has anybody found any good gluten free products that help w/ nauseau? Sweet things make me feel even worse now, so ginger candies, preggie pops, etc. are out for now.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
I CONSTANTLY crave fried foods! I actually broke my gluten-free diet 2 days ago & ate onion rings b/c I was craving them sooo bad. :rolleyes: I never intend to go back to eating gluten full-time but every couple of months I plan to eat a little bit of something just to kill the cravings for a bit. I am sure even the little bit is not healthy but I am sure it is healthier than just going on a gluten binge & ending up in the hospital!

I found that the only way to kill the cravings (in may case) was to go COMPLETELY gluten-free. A little bit of gluten triggered several days of cravings. I guess it's like being addicted to drugs or alcohol--doing them one every couple of months doesn't calm the cravings, itmakes the cravings stronger.

Once I was able to find acceptable gluten-free substitutes for what I craved (storebought baked goods to me is NOT acceptable, it all tastes like styrofoam), the cravings disappeared. I used to be able to eat DOZENS of cookies (we've all been there, right?), and mountains of pasta. I still make chocolate chip cookies (I use Annalise Roberts' gluten-free recipe on www.foodphilosopher.com), but now I can stop after three cookies and feel totally satisfied. That NEVER happened with gluteny (gluttony??) cookies!!

There was a recipe on here several months ago for gluten-free onion rings, and I remember people writing that they were really good. Maybe you could make those instead, and then your body will heal and stop craving bad things???

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
I too am craving all the things I can not eat. I would die to have a big cinnamon roll with cream cheese frosting! Okay, yeah, I could make one from gluten-free flours, but it is not the same.

I am now 11 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. I have been gluten-free for 1.5 years. I am pretty much nauseous all the time, and it is driving me crazy! Has anybody found any good gluten free products that help w/ nauseau? Sweet things make me feel even worse now, so ginger candies, preggie pops, etc. are out for now.

Rice crackers, Corn Chex (there's a gluten-free version, but I can't remember what it's called), and fresh strawberries--that's practically all I could keep down when I was pregnant (that was before I knew about gluten, so it should have been a red flag there).

Hope you feel better soon!

ElizabethN Apprentice

I have been craving gluten as well, basically all the unhealthy stuff I shouldn't be eating. The funny thing is I have had really vivid pregnancy dreams about eating gluten nearly every night, only I can never follow through. In the dream I will be at a restaurant and will have my mouth full of a fresh, warm, gooey roll and will be chewing it in ecstasy only to realize it is full of gluten and spit it out and run to the bathroom in a panic. I too can't even enjoy gluten foods in my dreams!!!

To help with the cravings for junk food I allow myself a gluten free donut once a week or so, or I make some rolls with the sweet Chebe bread. At the beginning I survived off of instant mashed potatoes and pedialyte popsicles- pretty gross but that is what would stay down. Thankfully now I can eat normally, it's just those darn cravings...

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I crave different things now and again, I always want Pierogies when I go to a picnic or fair. I also would like Mozzerella Sticks, and other things....

We all get that way at one time or another.

BettyL. Rookie
I crave KFC EXTRA CRISPY chicken wings. My husband keeps reminding me that I would probably end up in the ER.... or wish I were dead.... BUT I do crave them. I am not going to take the plunge as my intestines sort of go into knots when the KFC commercials come on TV. BUT that doesn't stop me from thinking.... PS I am not pregnant only craving the unattainable!

How well I remember the last time I eat KFC. We were with friends and everyone in the group want KFC, I keep sayiong I didn't think I could eat it. In the end we got KFC.When we were eating it, suddenly I vomited all over everything. My advice is not to give into the craving. I would like to eat a some of the Subway sandwiches. I even check to see if some of he tortilla rolls might be corn. But alas not!

Before I was on gluten-free diet I crave all the gluten products as bread, sweet rolls, etc. I couldn't get enough of them. I would go on brings an eat large amounts of gluten products. The reason why I was overweight, not thin as the doctors except those with celiac disease to be. At first I lost about 60 pounds. I have put on weight later as I learned products I could eat. I no longer crave the gluten products; but at times I crave candy. This has been when my hernia acts up and I suspect I am not abssorbing my food.

Katydid Apprentice

My husband is the celiac in our house; and, while I'm not sure you'd call it a craving, once in a while when we are in a restaurant and I am eating someting gluten, he will say..."Gosh that looks good..I wish I could eat something like that"

Of course, this statement then becomes my challenge, and sometimes they turn out pretty good. I will share the most recent with you. We were eating out and I had ordered an Italian Sausage Sandwich. When it came, it was absolutely beautiful. Nice big sub roll, filled with crumbled sausage, marinara sauce and oozing with lots of melted mozzorella cheese; and lightly crispy golden toasted; and it was served with french fries. He practical drooled over it.

The next night for dinner, I surprised my hubby with one of his own. I took a Kinnikinnick hot dog bun, nuked it a little, sliced it open, layered cooked italian sausage topped with marinara sauce, lathered on the moz cheese. Then, just before putting in a 400 degree oven, I brushed margarine all over the bun so when it baked in the oven it would be crispy and golden, just like the one I had been served in the restuarant. Baked for about 8/10 minutes and served up with gluten-free french fries.

Let me tell you, the man was in hog heaven as he practically inhaled his delight, saying 'I can't believe this is gluten free'. Watching him made me decide this is his way of craving something he thought he couldn't have.

(By the way, the same buns, cut into 4 strips, brushed with butter and tossed with garlic salt and parmesan cheese and baked make excellent breadsticks)

angel42 Enthusiast

I actually came on here to vent about my gluten craving and found this thread. :) I am 16 weeks pregnant and have such a strong craving for a glazed doughnut I am practically in pain. I am so jealous of non-celiac pregos right now my heart hurts.

ABANA Newbie
I actually came on here to vent about my gluten craving and found this thread. :) I am 16 weeks pregnant and have such a strong craving for a glazed doughnut I am practically in pain. I am so jealous of non-celiac pregos right now my heart hurts.

I am in the same boat with everyone on here. I am 12 weeks prego and have been craving all kinds of gluten infested foods. I have also been haveing dreams about eating gluten food too. Its weird how alot of us are doing that. But I have a serious problem. I am a picky eater. And i am scared that i am not getting anough nutrients for the baby. I am taking Neevo vitamins everymorning but i am only eating 3 meals a day, and not very big meals bc i havent been hungry.

What snacks are yall eating? I am eating eddy's real fruit popsicles, oranges, and probably way too much candy. I am sick of the same meals chicken with italian dressing, and a hamburger patty and hotdogs (no bun of coars) I am lost in a world of gluten! HELP ME PLEASE!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

you got me craving now...Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts!!!!

cyberprof Enthusiast

Angel, Hope you get some relief from the craving soon.

This reminds me that when I was (undiagnosed celiac) pregnant I ate a glazed donut at work. I was in so much pain, I had to go home and curl up into a ball and stayed there for 8 hours. I thought it was the grease from the dougnut and avoided doughnuts for the rest of the pregnancy. Looking back, I realize that I was never sick when prego and only threw up once- and that was after eating pasta. Funny, I think.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I crave gluten infested food all the time. I live right next to a Krispy Kreme and in the morning sometimes when the hot light is on it takes everything out of me not to call off work and buy a dozen!! I also miss good subs and the crispy chicken sandwhich from Wendy's. I'd have to say though growing up in South Jersey, I miss the rolls...and Philly soft pretzels...sometimes I wonder if I shouldnt' just say screw this gluten free diet!! but then I sigh, because I know better. We all get like that from time to time, some have more will power than others. My advice to you is to find something that cures the craving, like Kinnitoos that taste like oreos or 123 gluten free biscuts that taste like mama's homeade!! The only bad thing about celiac disease in my opinion is that no matter what kind or brand of bread you have, it never matches up...plus, if anyone finds a sub roll that'd be great...I don't have the time to make one myself...dang !

angel42 Enthusiast

So I had my craving again yesterday and decided to be pro-active and make some flourless cookies. They come out much better than any of the gluten-free versions of normal cookies that I have tried. I found the recipe on Epicurious.com. Even the gluten fanatics in my office are crazy about them. If anyone wants the recipe I would be happy to post. I should mention, they are peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. I know alot of people on here have lots of allergies (myself included, but for me peanuts are not one of them)

JennyC Enthusiast
I am in the same boat with everyone on here. I am 12 weeks prego and have been craving all kinds of gluten infested foods. I have also been haveing dreams about eating gluten food too. Its weird how alot of us are doing that. But I have a serious problem. I am a picky eater. And i am scared that i am not getting anough nutrients for the baby. I am taking Neevo vitamins everymorning but i am only eating 3 meals a day, and not very big meals bc i havent been hungry.

What snacks are yall eating? I am eating eddy's real fruit popsicles, oranges, and probably way too much candy. I am sick of the same meals chicken with italian dressing, and a hamburger patty and hotdogs (no bun of coars) I am lost in a world of gluten! HELP ME PLEASE!

I know this is a place to vent, but I really feel for your situation and would like to offer advice. I too cook EVERY night. I know it can get OLD. What I do is search on recipe sites for ideas, or I try to re-create our favorite gluten dishes. I like to go to "copy-cat" sites too. The recipes may not be exact duplicates but many times they are close and almost always very good. So far I have successfully made many dishes gluten free. Usually it's just a matter of changing a couple of ingredients.

MrsZST Newbie

I have been suffering from serious cravings! My friends have told me not to feel bad if I cheat here and there, but my real concern is not as much for myself, but for my baby. Does anyone know where I could go to get the facts about how eating gluten during pregnancy can affect my unborn baby? Sometimes I feel like I'm willing to suffer the consequences, but I'm not willing to put my baby at risk.

When I wasn't pregnant I had no trouble sticking to the diet and know that when I've had the baby that I will (hopefully) be able to go back, but I don't want to be stupid about this.

Anyone have thoughts that might steer me in the right direction (or help me to get through what I'm finding to be the most difficult time in my life)?

• 1 month later...
lkayb Newbie
I have been suffering from serious cravings! My friends have told me not to feel bad if I cheat here and there, but my real concern is not as much for myself, but for my baby. Does anyone know where I could go to get the facts about how eating gluten during pregnancy can affect my unborn baby? Sometimes I feel like I'm willing to suffer the consequences, but I'm not willing to put my baby at risk.

When I wasn't pregnant I had no trouble sticking to the diet and know that when I've had the baby that I will (hopefully) be able to go back, but I don't want to be stupid about this.

Anyone have thoughts that might steer me in the right direction (or help me to get through what I'm finding to be the most difficult time in my life)?

Don't do it! My GI said that cheating when your pregnant can lead to miscarriage, and I've read that other places too. I am also craving bread and bagels (the real kind) like crazy - I'm 5 weeks right now- and nothing else seems to appeal. Whenever I feel like cheating, I just remind myself that I really am eating for someone else right now! Good luck!

maryjoali Newbie

Glad I found this thread! I thought I was alone in this battle!! I'm 9 weeks and craving gluten-filled foods like mad! I was craving pancakes this morning at work and was drooling thinking about the McDonald's pancakes and McGriddles. Now that I'm taking Diclectin and my nausea is much better, I'm finding it even worse!!! Maybe this is a first trimester thing too???

Archived