This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could This Bloating Be From A Gluten Intolerance?

Spatchie

Spatchie Newbie

Hi all, this is my first post. About 6 months ago, I suddenly became bloated all the time. By the end of the day I look like I'm 5-6 months pregnant. I have also began to deal with issues of constipation. Some gas pains, but nothing too serious. I first went to my gyno for an ultrasound but it looked good. Then I went to a GI doctor who took blood work including testing for celiacs. She said the results were negative. I had a colonoscopy done which also looked good. I recently had the LEAP test done ( a blood test that covers over 100 foods and chemicals). I am not sensitive to wheat, but the dietician said to eliminate gluten as a possible sensitivity. I went gluten free for 2 weeks and the bloating either got a little better or stayed the same. I added it back in yesterday and within 2 hours I bloated more than normal (especially for the morning) and about 2 hours later had 2 gas pains followed by a BM. A little softer than normal but no D or anything too unusual. Since then, I have had more gas than normal, but nothing major. I guess I was expecting an AHA moment, but I still feel confused. Should I have stayed off gluten longer than 2 weeks? If I try testing this again, how long should I stay off it ? I'm so tired of looking pregnant when I'm not. My 8 year old daughter keeps asking me, "Are you going to have a baby?" When I tell her "no", she doesn't believe me. Any advice you all have would be so appreciated. Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Eriella Explorer

Your symptoms do sound familiar. If you have constipation problems, it won't clear up in just two weeks, especially if it is severe. Try going off of gluten for a month, making sure that you eat at least 10 servings of fruits or vegetables and drinking lots of water. Also try to say on the 4 Foods diet (rice, vegetables, fruit, and lean grilled meat/eggs) for at least the first 2 weeks. It helps clear you out and remove the bloat. After a month on that, see how you feel. If you feel better, it may be gluten. Stay off for another month, then do a gluten challenge (test your body by eating gluten every day for a week and watch for symptoms). If you get sick on the gluten challenge, then you have an answer.

Good luck! If you need any advice/support, we are here for you.

Spatchie Newbie

Thanks for the advice. This is such a long and tedious process. It helps to have encouragement through it all. It seems that I didn't eliminate gluten long enough. I will try again for longer next time.

Thanks,

pebbles Newbie

I understand how you feel. For the last five months I've looked pregnant. I had the blood work done for Celiac (negative), colonoscopy, an ultrasound, and CAT-Scan. All were negative. I did try the Celiac diet for a short period of time. I lost five inches in my waist and three inches in my abdomen. It seems like it would take a while for the body to calm down, flush out the bad stuff, and to heal.

Good luck and feel better soon!

gfpaperdoll Rookie

If you are doing a gluten elimination you need to also eliminate dairy & soy at the same time.

because you could also be reacting to those in combination with the gluten & most people that quit eating gluten will automatically double their dairy intake, dairy also has that little thing that gives your brain an opiate effect & makes you just crave more.

Just doing an elimination of gluten is hard to be completely gluten free because you do not clean out your kitchen etc & are probably getting some cross contamination...

Archived